Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Heiner

Using AM and MMF to make an Adventure game?

A question for all the AMers out there who are using mmf: Could a adventure game be made with mmf? Would it be easy? If yes, how professional could it be?

I am looking for features like shrinking charakters which walk into the distance, graphics in the foreground, which cover the characters. Multiple scenes, cutscenes etc.

Regards,

Heiner

Could a adventure game be made with mmf? Would it be easy? If yes, how professional could it be?

Yes. All things are relative, the programming/authoring would be relatively easy ie I could do it in MMF and I'm not a programmer. It could be pretty professional, but not truly cutting edge. It's still a hell of a lot of work in the design, animation and conception stages.

I am looking for features like shrinking charakters which walk into the distance, graphics in the foreground, which cover the characters. Multiple scenes, cutscenes etc.

You can have shrinking characters, but I think it's a relatively high cpu hit. If they are not controlled a prerendered animation of them walking into the distance would be easier. Foreground objects, multiple scenes, and cut scenes are easy. Isometric and platform style movement is easy, and possibly better suited to the MMF engine.

A top down or Isometric RPG would be relatively easy to do using MMF. I don't really know what you mean by characters shrinking in the distance unless you are speaking of a First Person view. My 2 week experience with MMF so far has led me to the conclusion that it is great for a 2D sprite engine but would be weak for 3D first person games. You can do them but they will not have the look of one created in Torque, Ogre, A6 or one of the other 3D engines.

For my purposes the ISO view is great. I am a classic RTS gamer. I like ISO and I do not particularly care for the new wave of 3D ISO games. The only advantage that 3D provides in this type of game (also in the Diablo hack and slash genre) is that you can have more dynamic terrain. You can also zoom in to look at how incredibly crappy the units look at extreme close range and you can rotate the view. I have played MANY RTS games and I have NEVER rotated the view. The only time I think I used the zoom function is to look at each new Hero in Battle for Middle Earth (arguably one of the best RTS games every if you do not include the soon to be released Age of Empires III)

So if you are looking at making a top down or ISO view RPG like Baldour's Gate, Icewind Dale, even Ultima Online sort of (not truly ISO they had their own viewpoint also not truly an RPG but MAN I LOVED THAT GAME) Then MMF will certainly do it for you. One of the added advantages to using true 2D in this format is the level of graphic detail that you can acomplish using sprites versus using 3D models. In 3D you will always have to be concious of how many poly's are rendered at any given time. You will also be somewhat limited on textures and the overall look of the background/terrain.

In a sprite based game, if I want to have 100 of a particular type of unit, you only have to load that unit once into memory, every replication of the unit itself is merely a redrawing of the unit. The only additional data that has to be stored would be variables associated with that particular unit. This makes for a lot more control over LOD.

I can ramble for a long time about this. I hate that 2D is considered dated but I recognize that it is. I have MMF (THANK YOU WILL SUTTON) and the learning curve is very easy. I am working on game mechanics for an RTS style game and am currently using generic sprites available on This Web Site. They are not great but serve the purpose admirably for 'proxies'.

I actually replaced one of the units with the A:M Knight last night and he looked great (AGAIN THANK YOU WILL).

See I am rambling. If you have specific questions about MMF, I am rapidly becoming proficient at it to the exclusion of all else right now, so I may be able to help. I would love to see more people looking at this as a game engine and a possible collaborative effort in the future.

Also Will has a pretty nice Chor setup that produces great ISO view renderings. I stole it from him last night but I am sure he would be willing to explain it to anyone interested.

Wade

Sacman Posted on Jul 7 2005, 03:12 AM

One of the added advantages to using true 2D in this format is the level of graphic detail that you can acomplish using sprites versus using 3D models. In 3D you will always have to be concious of how many poly's are rendered at any given time. You will also be somewhat limited on textures and the overall look of the background/terrain.

In a sprite based game, if I want to have 100 of a particular type of unit, you only have to load that unit once into memory, every replication of the unit itself is merely a redrawing of the unit. The only additional data that has to be stored would be variables associated with that particular unit. This makes for a lot more control over LOD.

Our game engine also loads one mesh and one texture map for each unit that it then replicates. Maybe you are not as well practiced at coding a .X based RTS as you might think. There are MANY ways to code things as well as how to handle data management. Some ways are infinitely faster than others, and not all have been thought of yet.

As for level of detail, anything you could draw as a sprite, I could stick on a low poly 3D model made in A:M and have it look better than the original 2d image alone in my opinion. Plus then you are building objects that can make animations or stillshots from any angle. Including generating and exporting custom animations into the game within minutes.

All I am saying to you Sacman is there may be more to game making than meets the eye. I am also maybe saying that old habits die hard and sometimes it is easier to hang on to what you know than to dive into something cutting edge.

- I beleive I was fairly clear that for the ISO view, 2D is more than adequate and MMF would do fine and I stated my reasons.

- I do believe that for other game genres you have no choice but 3D.

- Of course you can make one object look just as good in 3D the problems develop when you try to put 100 of them on the screen at once. Something has to suffer and it is more often than not the LOD. (Rome Total War for example)

- There are obvious advantages to 3D for certain concepts. The ability to move in 3 dimensional space is one of them that is going to be very important in certain game types and less important in others.

Have I responded to every flame.

Maybe my previous post should have said simply. Yes it can. and been done with it.

I am glad that other people are good at other things so that there are always new things to learn and do. I happen to find the antequated 2D sprite game concept perfectly acceptable which if anyone were to care to read my previous post was the whole point.

- Oh yeah, I would never nor did I claim to have experience in .x any kind of programming let alone games. I do however, understand the basic concepts and differences between a fully 3D POV and a mock 3D (a.k.a ISO) POV.

Having said all that, Age of Empires III by Ensemble will be the best RTS ever. It is fully 3D and I cannot wait till it is released (August I think).

Wade

- Of course it is easier to hang on to what you know. I don't have time for anything else... :D

I use a wicked game developer called AGAST.

AGAST DOWNLOAD PAGE

It's perfect for making adventure games!! ..it uses a VERY simple script (anyone can use i swear!) Check it out.

RUSS

ps. i think that alot of good classics were made using this i.e. Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, Patrimonium etc.

I know this thread is a bit old but there is a really good engine for making adventure games and best of all, unless you sell your game commercially, it's free! We played with it around here and made a quick demo with Jimmy Neutron in his lab. It took all of 20 minutes (of course we have completed pre-rendered artwork already). They have a tutorial and some assets. Take a look. It's called Wintermute.

http://www.dead-code.org/index2.php/en

We played with it around here and made a quick demo with Jimmy Neutron in his lab. It took all of 20 minutes (of course we have completed pre-rendered artwork already).

You're involved with Jimmy Neutron? :blink::blink: If so, Wow! And you use AM? I'm confused.