Hash, Inc. Forums

Squetchy Thom

itsjustme

David,

I've made a note to visit this topic and download whatever the latest and greatest just prior to sending the Extra DVD out to Hash Inc.

In its own little way the Squetch Rig *is* the Extra DVD.

Thanks again for all your hard work with it.

I expect the next Extra DVD will be full of actors with this outstanding rig. :)

You are extremely kind, Rodney. I think there will be more installations popping up once I get the tutorial completely finished...it's been tough to get back to it, but it's the second major thing on my "to do" list.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a quick question.

I've only been through 3 of the tutorials, so I'm not sure if you already cover this.

I have a model with the squetch rig installed. But, I want to change the model, which means new CPs to attach to bones. Sometimes, it seems like its hard to tell exactly which bones to attach the CPs to, while on simpler rigs, the modifications are pretty ...well, simple. Any thoughts?

Also, sometimes when I'm working with bones, I hide and unhide bones. Sometimes, when the bone needs to be unhidden, its hard to find because there are so many bones in the heirarchy.

I'm thinking I'm taking the long way around to accomplish these tasks. Are there simpler solutions?

I have a quick question.

I've only been through 3 of the tutorials, so I'm not sure if you already cover this.

I have a model with the squetch rig installed. But, I want to change the model, which means new CPs to attach to bones. Sometimes, it seems like its hard to tell exactly which bones to attach the CPs to, while on simpler rigs, the modifications are pretty ...well, simple. Any thoughts?

Also, sometimes when I'm working with bones, I hide and unhide bones. Sometimes, when the bone needs to be unhidden, its hard to find because there are so many bones in the heirarchy.

I'm thinking I'm taking the long way around to accomplish these tasks. Are there simpler solutions?

If you do your CP Weighting in an Action, you can use the poses to hide or unhide bones. Another method would be to run the InstallRig plugin again, then all of the geometry bones will be unhidden in the bones window. I don't have to use a list of bones or unhide them since I'm so familiar with the rig, I'll be showing where all of the geometry bones are and what they do in the next installment. I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to the tutorial...I should be back on it in a week or two.

Here is the present state of the Quad Squetch Rig...in case the DVD hasn't been finalized yet. The neck is now a three section IK chain. I'm probably going to upgrade the ear and tail controls tomorrow, at least that's my plan.

If anyone finds a problem that needs to be fixed, let me know.

The InstallRig plugin is located here.

Here's the updated Quad Squetch Rig...I updated the tail, the ears didn't need updating. Here's also an add-on for three basic toes for each foot of the Quad Rig. You can just import the toes model into your quadruped model that has the Quad Squetch Rig in it, use the installation bones to position the toes and then run the "InstallRig" plugin.

If anyone finds a problem let me know.

This update adds another controller for the eyes, the new slider and on/off poses are located in the FACE controls folder at the bottom. Now you have two options for controlling the eyes. I also fixed the eyes in the Quad rig, the nulls needed to be renamed. Sorry about that one.

If anyone finds a problem, let me know.

This update improves the shoulders. There are now poses in the "Animation_Controls/Arm_Controls" folder. When the "right/left_arm_move_with_shoulder" poses are "on" the arm will move with the shoulder in the way it was prior to this update, with them "off" (the default), the shoulders will be able to shrug without adjustments. Thanks to Robert Holmen for pointing this one out.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I doing somenthing wrong?

While waiting for Mark's take on rig installing rig ;o), I've wanted to make a try to see how the face interface would work (I have installed squetch rig in three characters so far, but none with face interface - I have used custom face rig and Steven Cleary's face gizmo).

So I just took empty rig, ran install plugin and I have face geometry bones unhided... and tried to play with the face interface... Face bones do not move!

I think that I am doing things right, at least I don't remember (from the installation tutorial movies) that there was some special action that was supossed to be done to activate them.

Is there something that I've overlooked?

(I hope that my too - long sentences are understandible)

Am I doing somenthing wrong?

While waiting for Mark's take on rig installing rig ;o), I've wanted to make a try to see how the face interface would work (I have installed squetch rig in three characters so far, but none with face interface - I have used custom face rig and Steven Cleary's face gizmo).

So I just took empty rig, ran install plugin and I have face geometry bones unhided... and tried to play with the face interface... Face bones do not move!

I think that I am doing things right, at least I don't remember (from the installation tutorial movies) that there was some special action that was supossed to be done to activate them.

Is there something that I've overlooked?

(I hope that my too - long sentences are understandible)

If you manipulate the "Jaw", "Maxilla" or "LowerTeeth" bone, you'll see things move around...you'll have to unhide everything in the "Show_and_Hide_Rig_Components/hide_face_setup_bones" folder. You will also have to unhide the "Maxilla" and "LowerTeeth" bones. You can also use the lip poses in the "Animation_Controls/Face_underlying_controls/lips" folder to move things. Some of the poses are empty, like the lip curling poses, but there's quite a bit that will work.

Hope that helps, Drvarceto.

Nope, it doesn't help, nothing moves (v11.1)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, Drvarceto. Are you talking about the on-face FACE controllers or are you talking about the bones rigging for the face? The on-face FACE controllers won't do anything until the poses are filled, but the bones in the face rigging will move when the "Jaw", "Maxilla" and "LowerTeeth" bones are moved around. I checked the v11.1 rigs and was able to move the bones necessary to move the face rigging.

I am talking about moving bones for the face rigging as a result of movement of the FACE controllers... obviously, I misunderstood that FACE controllers have at least some basic poses filled and that their movement would result in movement of the face rigging bones... so I have to make the poses myself?

... or there is something else that I am overlooking?

(btw, David, thank you a million for the lightning - fast answers, sorry for bothering you this much)

I am talking about moving bones for the face rigging as a result of movement of the FACE controllers... obviously, I misunderstood that FACE controllers have at least some basic poses filled and that their movement would result in movement of the face rigging bones... so I have to make the poses myself?

... or there is something else that I am overlooking?

(btw, David, thank you a million for the lightning - fast answers, sorry for bothering you this much)

Yes, the FACE controllers need to have their poses made. What I do is get the underlying face rigging set up and tweaked, then I use those underlying poses to make the poses that the FACE controls manipulate. If you have access to SVN, both the TinWoodman and the TinGirl have face rigs using bones that are controlled by the FACE interface...those are the only two examples that I have made at this time, unfortunately (eventually there will be more).

---------------------

EDIT

---------------------

Oh, the TinWoodman and TinGirl were made in v13...I'll have to make sure there is a v11.1 and v12 model with its' face rigged with bones. I don't have my brain working too good at the moment.

I don't (SVN Acess) for the simple reason that I am still at 11.1 (no money, I am poor eastern - european, I know that it seems strange when one says that he cannot give 100 something dollars, but believe me that it is real issue for me)

I'll get a v11.1 and v12 rigged character done when I can get some time, Drvarceto. I completely understand, I've just been extremely busy and things have been changing very quickly...there are a couple of other things that I'm working on that I'm hoping to add/modify to the existing rig. The next character that I start from scratch, I'll make sure it gets put out for v11.1...I don't know when that will be, I don't have a character at the moment that I would release. If you or anyone else has a character that they are willing to release to the general public, it would speed up the process (it would have to be modeled in v11.1 or v12).

• 1 month later...

Here's another update to the biped rigs. All versions have more accurate squetching on the arms, legs and torso (should get rid of any odd sizing quirks when squetching a single bone in a chain) and a slight re-positioning of the leg, arm, torso and main hand bones (fingers and Hand Gizmo are the same). Squetchy Thoms' hands have been re-worked a little so that the thumb is in line with the last updated version's thumb bone positions.

The v13 versions have an improved IK/FK switch that should reduce the slight twitch when changing from FK to IK. I have also attached simplified versions of the arm and leg setups for dissecting (the thigh, calf, bicep and forearm bones would normally be hidden when in IK, but I left them visible in the examples).

This update is not the poseable installation method that Mark Skodacek is working on, that is waiting for a fix.

The InstallRig plugin is located here. As always, if anyone finds something I missed, let me know. I'm going to try to get the Quadruped update posted in the next day or two...depending on how much time I end up having.

v13_IK_FK_switch_examples.zip

David, thanks a million for this rig. I've watched your video tutorials more than the TIVOed Hero episodes, and it's a bit intimidating, but not impossible.

Any way, I noticed that in the videos the figure is posed in a straight "T" pose. If legs on the model are spread (inverted "V") and the arms lowered -- will that affect how the rig works? I'm using the rotate/translate/scale manipulators as per your instructions and adjusting them for the additional angle of the legs/arms. Just wondering if my modeling a "semi-relaxed" figure rather than the arms out at attention figure would be problematic. Or am I just over-thinking stuff...

thanks.

David, thanks a million for this rig. I've watched your video tutorials more than the TIVOed Hero episodes, and it's a bit intimidating, but not impossible.

Any way, I noticed that in the videos the figure is posed in a straight "T" pose. If legs on the model are spread (inverted "V") and the arms lowered -- will that affect how the rig works? I'm using the rotate/translate/scale manipulators as per your instructions and adjusting them for the additional angle of the legs/arms. Just wondering if my modeling a "semi-relaxed" figure rather than the arms out at attention figure would be problematic. Or am I just over-thinking stuff...

thanks.

Relaxed poses aren't a problem, Mike. The thing to remember is that the arms and legs are going to have an axis that is a straight line...the bend of the arms and legs is going to have that. In the case of the Squetch Rig, make sure that when you adjust the bicep/forearm or thigh/calf that you only rotate them on the 'X' axis so that the 'Y' and 'Z' axes are the same on the upper and lower part. The reason for this is that there is a limit set on them that will give you some strange results if you don't maintain that line. Other than that, as long as you follow the installation instructions, you should be alright.

As soon as Mark Skodacek gets his poseable installation method finished, it will be a lot easier. I'm not sure how long that will take, it is presently waiting on a fix.

Hope that helps.

Just a real quick fix update on the biped rig. This one makes the bottom percentage of three sliders ".01" to avoid problems similar to the "Blink" pose not working correctly. The poses affected in this version are "Blink", "neck_SQUETCH" and "spine_auto_SQUETCH". If you have a previously installed version, setting the bottom end of those poses to ".01" will update it to this version. Thanks to Bob Croucher for the solution to the problem! Thanks to Mark Skodacek for finding the spine and neck pose problems.

I updated all versions to stay consistent even though this is a v13 specific phenomenon. If anyone finds a pose that exhibits this same problem, let me know and I'll get an update out as soon as I can.

The "InstallRig" plugin is located here.

Just a real quick fix update on the biped rig. This one makes the bottom percentage of three sliders ".01" to avoid problems similar to the "Blink" pose not working correctly. The poses affected in this version are "Blink", "neck_SQUETCH" and "spine_auto_SQUETCH". If you have a previously installed version, setting the bottom end of those poses to ".01" will update it to this version. Thanks to Bob Croucher for the solution to the problem! Thanks to Mark Skodacek for finding the spine and neck pose problems.

I updated all versions to stay consistent even though this is a v13 specific phenomenon. If anyone finds a pose that exhibits this same problem, let me know and I'll get an update out as soon as I can.

The "InstallRig" plugin is located here.

The install rig plugin link is broken (on the wiki site)

Edit - I fixed the PC link. No idea what the OSX link should be. Tried a couple of variations to no avail.

Cheers