Hash, Inc. Forums

Squetchy Thom

itsjustme

• Hash Fellow
Another new thing I notice is that if I animate an arm in FK for a bit and then switch to IK, the hand is offset from the IK controller bones. That's weird.

Uh lets see... I'm not expecting that if i animate in FK that if I later switch to IK the pose of the arm will not change, that would be tough (although...)

But when I switch to IK I'd like the hand to go to wherever the IK controller is, not be offset by what ever distance the FK bone was from the IK bone.

Does that sound like what you thought I said?

for example there's a bone that moves the wrist in XYZ space and therefore takes the hand orienting bone with it.

Why not combine the positioning and orienting into one bone? HAve the hand orienting bone be draggable and take the wrist along with it.

When I'm animating in IK if I want to position the hand I need to drag the wrist null to the location and then switch to the hand bone to set the orientiation. Why divide the translation and rotation between two different controllers? They are not conflicting properties so it makes sense to combine them in one bone since they are both about posing that hand.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that sound like what you thought I said?

I think so. What I have seen is that some models have a pose for making the IK controller function as the hand controller in FK...that does make it where you have to manually position the IK controller where the hand is if you want the IK arm to be in the right place when you make the switch though. Not a problem to do that.

Uh lets see... I'm not expecting that if i animate in FK that if I later switch to IK the pose of the arm will not change, that would be tough (although...)

I think that this would be possible if the FK portion of the rig controlled the IK portion. In Squetchy Thom, I have the IK controlling the FK, but I could try to add another FK layer on top of that (it would be easier than reworking everything, although I would still have to reconfigure some of the scaling stuff).

When I'm animating in IK if I want to position the hand I need to drag the wrist null to the location and then switch to the hand bone to set the orientiation. Why divide the translation and rotation between two different controllers?

That one shouldn't be a problem. I'll take a fresh look at all of these tonight. Thanks for taking the time, Robert.

• Hash Fellow

One other thing... I'm wondering if using expressions for Squetch is too limiting, too specific.

Would rigging a character with distortion boxes maybe give a more generalized solution that could be squetched in any direction as needed?

Would rigging a character with distortion boxes maybe give a more generalized solution that could be squetched in any direction as needed?

I haven't used distortion boxes, so, that's a hole in my education...I have a few blind spots, unfortunately. I've seen a couple of characters that used distortion boxes to great effect, but I thought that they weren't transferrable between models. I just did a test that proved that assumption wrong. I'm sure it could be done, I just haven't tried it. One thing I'm not sure of is how the distortion would behave with the controls...if the controls don't scale with the distortion it might be hard to control. Definitely worth some experiments, Robert.

I also did some tinkering to see about having the FK and IK controls move together and figured out something that should've occurred to me before. Eventually, the controls will go in different directions...I just have to make it easier for the animator to manually get them in the same place for the transition. I think the option of having the IK hand and foot controls doing the orienting in FK will do the trick...I have some strange things that need to be isolated in the IK/FK switchover as well.

Thanks David, you are wellspring of amazing rigs and useful information!

Oh, I'm full of lots of useless stuff too. ;) Happy to help, Drvarceto.

It took me a little longer than I thought, but, see what you think.

Changes in this version:

------------------------------------------------

FK to IK transitions are now smooth.

IK hand can be used in FK.

IK foot can be used in FK.

Bicep rotation is automated in IK now (use the IK elbow controls to correct any twisting of the arms as necessary).

------------------------------------------------

Since no issues have come up with this version, I'll start getting the installation version together. I think the best thing to do would be to include the finished Squetchy Thom as an example...so that's what I'll do. Thanks to everyone for the constructive critiques.

hey, thanks for adding the orient chest like hips pose. Do know why the chest is locked in orientation with the hips when you apply with a pose slider. When you just apply the constraint in an action you can still move the chest bone individually but Im not much of a rigger its probably something simple im missing.

BTW the Ik hand control slider is slick

Do know why the chest is locked in orientation with the hips when you apply with a pose slider. When you just apply the constraint in an action you can still move the chest bone individually but Im not much of a rigger its probably something simple im missing.

The orient like the hips constraint would lock the chest control as it is....I'll fix it, David. It would only mean adding one bone.

Okay, it was two bones.

Changes in this version:

----------------------------------------------

Chest "orient like" hips doesn't lock the chest controller.

-----------------------------------------------

If there are any other issues, let me know.

Okay, it was two bones.

Changes in this version:

----------------------------------------------

Chest "orient like" hips doesn't lock the chest controller.

-----------------------------------------------

If there are any other issues, let me know.

Thanks David for the quick changes. Just wanted to let you know I put about 15 - 20 hrs on the rig this week and didnt have any problems! I didn't use all the features but used most the S&S stuff.

Thanks David for the quick changes. Just wanted to let you know I put about 15 - 20 hrs on the rig this week and didnt have any problems! I didn't use all the features but used most the S&S stuff.

Not a problem, David. Thanks for giving him a workout, the input really helps.

I did find one problem with the foot rolling that I was going to wait to post an update for until I could also make a modification to something in the forearms. Real life has slowed me down considerably in the past week and a half, but I'll get the modification posted as soon as I can. The installation version is close too, I just want to get the Loon rigged completely to make sure it's got all of the bugs worked out in it so that I don't leave any huge surprises for anyone.

Changes in this version:

--------------------------------------------------

Foot rolling fixed.

--------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, the forum wouldn't let me post it as an MDL, so, I posted it as a ZIP file.

[attachmentid=9618]

Okay, here's the fixed version of your Action, Ken. It wasn't that anything was broken, it was that the orientation of some bones and the controls had changed since this was made...it worked fine with the Finalupdate2 version of Squetchy Thom as it was. The updated Action works fine with the latest update...you might want to double check to make sure I didn't miss anything though. Nice Action, by the way.

Thanks. So did you change the action? Will I have to do the same with the other actions I made?

Yessir, I changed the values in the action and a couple of names. First, I opened the action in Notepad (text editor) and did a search and replace that changed "bicep_left/right_FK" to "bicep_left/right_FK_controller" and "forearm_left/right_FK" to "forearm_left/right_FK_controller".

Next, the "foot_control_left/right_IK" bones 'Z' orientation is 180 degrees different than they used to be...I thought it would be better to be able to aim the roll handles at something on the ground. So, I opened the Action in AM (I actually had the current update of Squetchy Thom loaded so that I could see if I was actually fixing it) and went to each key frame for each foot control and changed the 'Z' values to 180 degrees different (the starting point would be "0", so, if the control was 180, it would be changed to "0" and a little addition/subtraction depending on the difference from 180). That fixed the feet.

Finally, the "chest_FK" bone needed to have the 'X' value change from "-90" to "0" and the 'Z' value from "-180" to "0" as the starting point. I went to each keyframe for that bone and changed the values based on that starting point.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused, Ken. How many Actions did you make? I could fix them for you if you'd like, just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll give you mine so you can send them if you need to.

I didn't have old actions to notice any problems, but I am playing with Squetchy Thom every day! Great fun! Can't wait to see it in some model with more pronaunced features! (instalable version... nudge, nudge,wink, wink ;oD)

I would very much like to see some animation tests with the loons squatching and stretching...

Keep us posted!

Drvarceto

I didn't have old actions to notice any problems, but I am playing with Squetchy Thom every day! Great fun! Can't wait to see it in some model with more pronaunced features! (instalable version... nudge, nudge,wink, wink ;oD)

I would very much like to see some animation tests with the loons squatching and stretching...

I'm finally going to have some more time over the next couple of days, so, I should have something soon...I know, I've said that before. Life has been getting in the way some lately. I don't know if I'll render any tests for the Loon...I'm thinking that having a model to mess with would be better for people to evaluate and make suggestions. I may end up posting the Loon, the installation version and an updated Squetchy Thom all at the same time...or nearly the same time.

Thanks for giving Squetchy Thom a workout, Drvarceto.

I'm going to post a few things to try to clean up a few loose ends today. First, here's the Final for Squetchy Thom. The only differences in this version is a correction I made in the forearms that won't show up unless you are installing the rig...it makes the movement of the "forearm_1" and "forearm_2" bone movement more like I originally intended. As a result of the change, I altered the CP weighting in the forearms...it shouldn't affect any Actions that you made with the update6 version. As usual, if I overlooked something and there is a problem, let me know and I'll fix it as fast as I can.

Also, the installation version of the four-fingered rig...the five fingered version will get done when I get a little time. The instructions are in a PDF inside the ZIP file along with the installation version. In the examples I used in the instructions I used the Loon character even though the final rig in that character will be altered...it's what I had at this time to use as an illustration, so, rather than wait longer I went with it. I'll name it "beta1" for now in case there are any problems that I missed. If you have any problems with this or have any questions, flag me down.

Thanks for the extra work (again), David. I was so interested to see what you offered up this time that I had to download it last night and dig right in. I got about half way through before bed, and hopefully will finish up in the next couple of nights. Cool idea for making install bones that you delete later. I'll post again after making it through the install process.

Thanks for testing it out, Mark. I don't think there will be any problems, but I might have mis-labeled something or forgot to do something...hopefully, it works right the first time. Let me know if you find anything that needs to be addressed.

Hey David, I spent a few moments exploring this rig and thom model.

The end result looks like it is 100% capable of great animation.....Also seeing it being used in that

Egg animtion posted in the showcase section really demonstrated some great ability.

The only thing that scares me about it is how many bones and constraints there are.

I wonder how easy or difficult it would be to set up in a more complex mesh, like the TWO models.

In riggin the loon character, would you say that it is a lengthy process?

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

The only thing that scares me about it is how many bones and constraints there are.

I wonder how easy or difficult it would be to set up in a more complex mesh, like the TWO models.

In riggin the loon character, would you say that it is a lengthy process?

Installation isn't very lengthy really...I've just been busy, and obsessive. It would only take thirty minutes or so to get the rig in, the CP weighting depends on the person doing it and how obsessive they are.

• Hash Fellow

I've been playing around with squetchy Thom some more...

The squetch controls on the head are very interesting.

Thom only has two spine segments so I'm wondering what the provision is for characters that have more.

Also, the heel raiser is just raising the rear stub of the foot. Really, the heel would include everything that is not the "toe". So when the heel is raised that would affect the leg bones above it.

Robcat,

The "ball_rotate_left_controller" bone (and right one) in front of the shins controls the heel as you are suggesting. X-axis rotation lifts the heel and the leg, and the Z-rotation pivots the foot at the toe. The "foot_control_left_IK" bone can be used to either position the foot or rotate it from the heel. This setup works extremely well and the rig is great! Work it some more...

Also, the heel raiser is just raising the rear stub of the foot.

The heel raiser is in front of the shins like Mark Strohbehn pointed out. The control that moves the heel up and down at the back of the foot is for deforming the foot when it needs to wrap around something like walking on a balance beam.

Thom only has two spine segments so I'm wondering what the provision is for characters that have more.

I think that CP weighting would solve most problems...some characters might require modifications. As an example, I added individual toes for the Loon. I'm thinking that I should add two more controls to Squetchy Thom for overall body tumbling...I haven't because it's a simple addition, and I feel really silly making "Final_update_v1000".

It's a different set of controls than you are probably used to, it'll take a little getting used to.

David,

Before you make final_version_1000 ;) I had a thought "this may be an easy one"

A percentage pose for the feet so you could turn down and adjust the amount the knee follows the foot when rotated. I know you can counter it with the knee control but I thought this might be a neat little feature.

What is the tumbling control you mentioned?

A percentage pose for the feet so you could turn down and adjust the amount the knee follows the foot when rotated. I know you can counter it with the knee control but I thought this might be a neat little feature.

It shouldn't be hard to put in, David...just adjusting one thing and making a new percentage pose. I'll look at it tonight.

What is the tumbling control you mentioned?

Well, as the rig is now, if you want to do some mid-air spinning and tumbling you need to use FK leg controls and then rotate the "hips_IK", "chest_FK", "neck_control" and "head_control" bones. I could put in a couple more bones strictly for tumbling to make it easier. I would put in one for each axis so as to minimize the chance of gimble lock.

If I'm already adding to it, I might as well do both. I'm just looking silly with the names I'm using... :) Whatever I add will also go into an updated version of the installation rig and the Loon rig.

------------------------------

EDIT

------------------------------

Anything else while I'm under the hood?

Hey David,

Great looking rig so far. I do have one critique to offer on the leg control set-up and the complexity thereof.

Specifically on the ball pivot/rotation of the foot. what I'm looking at here are basically three working bones + smartskin for what I would think is basically a single bone/heriarchy+expression solution. It also does one of those things that I just don't like :) it places a control in a position that seems unrelated to it's function. I know you have the bone named in the PWS but the animator is just going to want to grab a bone and 9 out of 10 of them won't think that the bone floating in front of the leg has anything to do with heel lift or ball-of-foot pivoting. just my opinion of course.

I have attached a simple leg (basically my same standard leg rig from my tut but with heel lift and secondary pivot controls added in.) that shows where I would put the control and how it can do the job pretty much 100% with hierarchy.

I didn't on this example but I would also add an expression to make the toe manipulation bone rotate in opposition to the heel lifter at least in the X axis, allowing the natural hierarchy to control the Y axis needs.

Give it a look-see and see if you agree, or not :)

(P.S. sorry it took so long for me to get back to you with this!)

-David

simple_leg.mdl.zip

Hi David,

I just read all 10 pages of your thread. I am really impressed with all of your hard work. It is amazing the things people, yourself included, can do with the primitive, but powerful, set of constraints, poses, and expressions in AM.

A couple of items in response to earlier postings:

One question, though: when I squetch this guy all over the place, I have problems bringing controls back where they belonh, to 'unsquetch' him (I just invented new word). If you were me, what would you do?

This is a little known AM feature: The compensated force keyframe.

You can turn on compensate mode before doing a force keyframe. Make sure your Key Mode settings are set to include the bones, properties, or poses which you want reset. Then press Force Key. This "Compensated" keyframe puts the values of the properties back to the values they would have had, if the current action wasn't there. Usually, this is the default model state (unless you are working with multiple actions). All the filtered animated properties should be forced to their previous values. This can be done at a later frame to un-squetch your character.

Do know why the chest is locked in orientation with the hips when you apply with a pose slider. When you just apply the constraint in an action you can still move the chest bone individually but Im not much of a rigger its probably something simple im missing.

David, you mentioned that you added a couple bones to allow an offset be created from this constrained value. If you set the constraint for "Before Action=ON", then the constraint is performed before the channels in the actions. This allows direct animation of the constrained bone in the action to be treated like an offset channel for the constraint. The results of the action are after the constraint, and therefore added to the constraints result. This can sometimes be used to reduce the number of bones or the complexity of your rig a tiny bit.

Awesome work!

Bob Croucher

This is a little known AM feature: The compensated force keyframe.

You can turn on compensate mode before doing a force keyframe. Make sure your Key Mode settings are set to include the bones, properties, or poses which you want reset. Then press Force Key. This "Compensated" keyframe puts the values of the properties back to the values they would have had, if the current action wasn't there. Usually, this is the default model state (unless you are working with multiple actions). All the filtered animated properties should be forced to their previous values.

:o

Hi David, just tried out your rig.

Looks cool!

The only nit picks I have are...

It would probably make more sense to have the elbow and knee controls at the elbow and knee instead of at the hands and feet.

Hips should probably just be called hips instead of hips_IK

model_bone might be a confusing name as a folder with that name is created when animating the model itself in chor

Suggestions...

Maybe have the Bicep target right Squetch null translate to the hand and shoulder so it would automaticly stay near the elbow, but could still be animated from that position.

Also maybe the left heel control should not be allowed to translate.

Great job!

I know you have the bone named in the PWS but the animator is just going to want to grab a bone and 9 out of 10 of them won't think that the bone floating in front of the leg has anything to do with heel lift or ball-of-foot pivoting. just my opinion of course.

I have attached a simple leg (basically my same standard leg rig from my tut but with heel lift and secondary pivot controls added in.) that shows where I would put the control and how it can do the job pretty much 100% with hierarchy.

Thanks for taking a look, David! You're right about the location of the controls...I'll take a look at your example tonight, thanks for spending so much time on this.

David, you mentioned that you added a couple bones to allow an offset be created from this constrained value. If you set the constraint for "Before Action=ON", then the constraint is performed before the channels in the actions. This allows direct animation of the constrained bone in the action to be treated like an offset channel for the constraint. The results of the action are after the constraint, and therefore added to the constraints result. This can sometimes be used to reduce the number of bones or the complexity of your rig a tiny bit.

Thanks for taking a look, Bob! I learn something new every day! Very cool, I'll take a look at that again to see if I can cut down on the number of bones.

It would probably make more sense to have the elbow and knee controls at the elbow and knee instead of at the hands and feet.

Hips should probably just be called hips instead of hips_IK

model_bone might be a confusing name as a folder with that name is created when animating the model itself in chor

Suggestions...

Maybe have the Bicep target right Squetch null translate to the hand and shoulder so it would automaticly stay near the elbow, but could still be animated from that position.

Also maybe the left heel control should not be allowed to translate.

Thanks, Noel! Very helpful. Sometimes I'm throwing so much around that I lose track of what I'm naming things...yeah, some of the names could use fixing. I think your elbow solution would be better...I'll take a look tonight.

Once again, thanks for taking the time guys! I have a lot of good stuff to digest.

bobcroucher... thank you man! you live and learn every day... this is (The compensated force keyframe) something I've never heard of...

David (itsjustme)... I've started installing your rig into one of my models, but I wanted to keep existing face bone hierarchy, so (somehow) it corruped existing relationships and I am going to do it again (live and learn again)...

It took me about an hour to put all the bones in the right places, and abot half an hour to re-assign CP's, so your estimate have been too optimistic, but I guess I'll get faster with training...

One more thing: your idea of moving bones around after putting them in the right places seemed complicated but is one of those great ideas that come only to great minds: ingenious!!!

hm... this just occured to me: it seems that moving of those bones in the bone structure could be easily achieved with some simple script in one of the higher programmnig languages (hey! programming wizards! hear this!)

Drvarceto

David (itsjustme)... I've started installing your rig into one of my models, but I wanted to keep existing face bone hierarchy, so (somehow) it corruped existing relationships and I am going to do it again (live and learn again)...

What kind of corruption, Drvarceto? Was it that negative values of your sliders disappeared? If that was the case, the values are still there you would just have to reset the negative limit on the slider again. That is why you have to import the model you're rigging into the rig...it has a lot of sliders with negative values. However, that means that those values on the model you're importing will be affected if it has them.

It took me about an hour to put all the bones in the right places, and abot half an hour to re-assign CP's, so your estimate have been too optimistic, but I guess I'll get faster with training...

I should have qualified that statement by saying that that's the time it would take after having done it a few times...the first time will take longer, but, it doesn't sound like it went too bad for your first time through.

One more thing: your idea of moving bones around after putting them in the right places seemed complicated but is one of those great ideas that come only to great minds: ingenious!!!

LOL, I wouldn't go that far, but, it does make this installation easier. There are a lot of bones located in the same places and it would be very tedious to manually place each one. It was the easiest method I could come up with.

hm... this just occured to me: it seems that moving of those bones in the bone structure could be easily achieved with some simple script in one of the higher programmnig languages (hey! programming wizards! hear this!)

I'm sure it's doable, I just don't know how much it would take. Maybe someone will come up with something.

Let me know if you find anything that needs to be fixed with the installation version, Drvarceto. It sounds promising so far.

Relationship trouble: it keeps telling me that there is some circular... something... when I try to animate it (I cannot check exact message at the moment)

I'll try to import only bones and geometry and then move relationships in the PWS... I think that it would solve the problem...

Hm... I could erase all relationships and try to move them from the original models to this mutant model... maybe it will solve the problem... I'll try this evening...

Thanks again

Drvarceto

I did it!

I now have my avatar (Mikke) rigged and ready! I tried to erase all of the relationships and copy them from squetchy model but I encontered some new problems (I obviosly made some wrong transfers of the INSTALL bones and character turned out very weird, so I did it again from the start, and this time it was much faster)

I did encountered some problems however: Distal parts of 3-rd and 4-th finger are twisted and I lost all smartskin that was in place, but I managed to save and transfer facial rig from the old model.

I'll try to solve this problem by rolling the bones...

Also, I found it major pain to find all geometry bones as they seem to lurk around in the very unexpected places, but after using Thom model as a reference, I kinda find my way around...

I have to say that without some sort of 'squetchy setup machine' this setup can hardly be replacement for the old (nonsquetchy) rig (for classical characters I still prefer Mike Skodacek's rig) as any beginner will find it very complex (and scarry) in the beginning...

David, you have really made very cool, elegant and so advanced rig that I really cannot even think how did you managed too keep all little details in one head at one time ;oP

Thing that puzzles me the most is absence of anything that actually resembles real skeletal hierarchy structure, but it works!!! (an' it works great!)

Again, great work, thank you very much, you've made one really cool toy for all of A:M community (I hope that this toy will eventually became tool to make our collective (animation) dreams real)

Drvarceto

Cool, Drvarceto!

I did encountered some problems however: Distal parts of 3-rd and 4-th finger are twisted and I lost all smartskin that was in place, but I managed to save and transfer facial rig from the old model.

I'm guessing it's a parenting issue, unless I messed up the installation version after I tested it...try checking the hierarchy against Squetchy Thom to see if there's an issue. That's the easiest way to get a problem, if you accidentally drop a bone on the wrong parent it can mess things up.

Also, I found it major pain to find all geometry bones as they seem to lurk around in the very unexpected places, but after using Thom model as a reference, I kinda find my way around...

If you use the "show_geom_bones" pose in the "setup" tab of the Pose menu when you're doing the CP weighting it should help.

I have to say that without some sort of 'squetchy setup machine' this setup can hardly be replacement for the old (nonsquetchy) rig (for classical characters I still prefer Mike Skodacek's rig) as any beginner will find it very complex (and scarry) in the beginning...

You're right, it is an intimidating thing at first. I tried to make the installation as easy as I could...there's always room for improvement though. I can see how a plug-in or script could ease the installation process...if anyone wants to tackle it, I'll be in line to get it.

Thing that puzzles me the most is absence of anything that actually resembles real skeletal hierarchy structure, but it works!!! (an' it works great!)

It had to be put together so that the squetching could be isolated, the structure relies on a lot of "translate to" constraints and targets.

Let me know how the search for problems goes. There is going to be a new installation version with some improvements and changes shortly along with an updated Squetchy Thom to reflect those changes.

SHOW GEOMETRY BONES POSE?!? Arrrrrrgh!!!! ARrrrrrRRRRR!!! GRAURRRGG!!!!

That was the sound of me eating my right arm!!!

I've erased all of the relationships to avoid problems that I encontered previously, so there was no way for me to see those...

Anyway, it's finished now, so...

You thougt of everything, thank you man!

drvarceto

Okay, here's the first beta for the Squetch Rig so that the Animation Directors can give it a good going over. It still needs some stuff under the hood, but those things would either affect installation or a reduction in complexity. I expect there to be notes from the AD's on what they would like to see changed/fixed, so I'll hold off on the installation version until I can get everything in the engine and some more feedback from them.

Some things to note:

1. I left the IK toe controllers untethered so that they can be translated when using them when the using FK feet when the legs are in IK.

2. There's a pose called "Tumbling" that frees everything up so that the character can do things like tumbling runs, etc. by translating/rotating the hips.

3. There is are percentage poses that allows the knees to be set to orient like the feet less than 100% ("knee_right/left_orient_like_foot_IK"). These come in handy when doing some extreme poses with the legs.

4. As has been the case with a few previous versions, the IK hands can be used in FK with the "IK_hand_right/left_hand_control" poses and the FK feet can be used when the legs are in IK with the "IK_foot_right/left" poses.

5. Squetching can be done using either the percentage poses in the "Squetch_Controls" section or you can squetch any joint in any direction using the underlying nulls that can be exposed using the poses that unhide them in the same section...it's less precise than using the sliders, but you can get just about anything you want out of them. I left the poses to unhide the squetch nulls in the "Squetch_Controls" section in order to have them in a more convenient place than the "Show_and_Hide_Rig_Components" section.

I've decided to go with a date in the name since I don't want to name anything "Final"...I've done enough of that :) I want to thank David Rogers and Mike Fitzgerald for their help, it is invaluable and very much appreciated. In the next couple of days there should be more information and additions/modifications made. As always, if anyone sees a problem let me know and I'll fix it as quickly as I can.