Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Announcing The New Art of Animation:Master

Rodney

• Admin

For those that like to be ahead of the power curve I'm proud to announce that Hash Inc is releasing the new edition of The Art of Animation:Master.

You can find the PDF manual and files associated with new/updated exercises on the Hash Inc FTP site:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/Am2005/2005Manual.pdf 24.6MB

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/Am...wManualData.zip 5.1MB

Of specific interest to older A:M Users will be two new exercises:

Exercise 11.5: Make a Face - Colin Freeman's Cooper Face building tutorial.

Exercise 20: It's Getting a Bit Hairy - Kevin Waldron's Wookie Hair tutorial

Exercise 16: Smoke, Wind and Fire has also been rewritten with a focus on Particle Sprites

Thanks to Hash Inc (and Colin and Kevin) for the update! :)

Note: Right Click on the above links and Click "Save Target As" to copy to your harddrive.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trés cool! I just had a look through it, and the new stuff is really neat. It's great to finally see the Cooper tutorial where it belongs, seeing as how many times it's referenced to on the forum as THE definitive guide to face modeling. Wow, and me still here on 10.5... New I really want to upgrade, darnit!

-Zev

• Admin

While there are benifits to being first in line there are also benefits to being patient.

For those that care to wait, I believe the PDF file will be updated with an linkable index in the next few days.

Thanks to Steve for all the hard work!

And here's me thinking they were going to replace all those tired old artist images with new fresh ones - those old ones are almost ancient history :P

I'm pretty sure they will all work with 11.1. The only changes I have noticed in v12 are to Compositing and Cloth.

Cheers

• Admin
Can all of the new or updated exercises be done in V11.1? Do any of the tutorials use feature enhancements only available in V12?

Yes and Yes.

As far as I can tell you can use v11.1 to do all exercises except the New Exercise 18; Waving the Flag (Cloth). The new Exercise 18 uses Simcloth which I think is exclusive to v12. You can, of course use the older cloth methodology as described by the old exercise in pre-v12 releases.

At this time I'm not aware of any other incompatibilities.

Rodney

• Admin
Do we need to do these new exercises to get the cetificate?

While you don't have to complete Exercises 11.5 and 20 to receive a certificate I think you'll want to complete them just the same. Character Modeling and Hair are pretty important parts of 3DCG after all.

I'll find a way to indicate on certificates whether the new exercises were completed or not. For the first few to graduate I'd guess you'll see a wookie as one of the corner images. Then you'll always be able to say you were the first!

Kudos to Hash Inc for coming up with a way to keep users of the classic versions right in line with those that have the latest and greatest. :)

David,

Not to slight the artists that have graced the pages of 'The Art of Animation:Master" for these past years but we'll lobby for some change in scenery in the next update... okay? ;)

• Admin
I also dled the data, but do not know where to install it.

There is no installation but you will want to copy the files to a place where you can easily find them. When following the exercises they direct you to open files (projects, images, etc.). When prompted open up the file and have fun!

You can also just open the project files and play too. :)

I know this may seem lame but what if someone made a video exercise of the cooper tutorial..........

Maaaaaaaaaaaannnn that would be so benificial to me... I've learned so much better when I can watch a do at the same time.....

just something to think about but...............

could someone please consider

with the permission of Colin or Colin himself...

please think about it..

I think it would benefit the hash community

thanks.