Landscape

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quicktime 1.3 MB

Just a small 2 sec test. Ran out of sky so I had to move the plane it's on(yuck), but I've got a couple of high res wrap around skies tucked in the library,so I'll load one of those up.

Vern:Thanks.

Paul:It's just a technique's test. I may do some work on the landscape to add some extra detail, but that's about as far as it will go I think.

Ken:Shucks

Korken:The landscape detail comes from a 2048x2048 texture file. Still needs quite a bit of work, but it's a good start.

Agep: Lot's of splines and lots of shortcuts. No real tricks, started with a grid generated with noise, used magnet mode to push and pull, then added trees from my library, one by one and through the camera view(love that auto ground placement feature). Rendertime is pretty quick.

Why not just make a sky hemisphere?

edit*

Because you will not run out of sky with 360 of it. And what happened to your lovely fuzzie clouds -that are famous!

Edited by entity

Overlayed the old decal with some photographic textures of grass (to add variation to the grass) and overlayed the cliffs with a photo of beach rock from my last holiday in Byron Bay.

Dearmad:Thanks :D

Why not just make a sky hemisphere?

Entity: laziness;

what happened to your lovely fuzzie clouds

and more laziness.

Because this is more of a technique/practice piece i took the fast option.

Darklimit: Good to hear from you man

I looked at these on a mac today and the gamma is completely different. Is there a way to make an image work on PC and Mac?

Dioramab.JPG

That looks great! Especially with the photo overlays of grass and rock.

Just a small 2 sec test. Ran out of sky

Sort of expect to see the corner of a table and the hand that's turning it... :P

I like the look of it. Did you have specific plans for it or is it just an experiment?

Bill Gaylord

Man I didn't think it could be improved! That's lovely detailed looking grass. I love the trees too. Are they detailed up close? A "shire" (my new word for shaded wireframe :D ) shot would be nice.

PS Uh...it's not too late to include it in the extra cd. ;)

This looks better and better, John!

Is there a way to make an image work on PC and Mac?

Callibrate your monitors and make sure that they are both displaying the same palette but otherwise not really. :blink: It's crazy isn't it? We spend so much time perfecting an image or animation,getting the lighting just right, and then when it finally has an audience we have no way of ensuring that people can actually see it as you intended. :D

Auto ground placement feature? How does that work?

When you drag an object into a choreography from a top view the object will come to rest on the geometry beneath it. So if you have an undulating grid of splines as your terrain model and you drop a tree onto it the tree will be planted on the surface of the geometry directly under the cursor.

Another iteration...added some extra detail on the cliffs +some bloom and grain.

Thanks for the comments all.

Bill: just procrastinating on things I should be doing B)

Ken: The screenshots are all white lines :D The trees and the grass texture are on the new CD.

Dearmad: no superheroes....but I'll use some of the techniques for Investigating Jack backgrounds

Lazlo: What Paul said

Paul: not just from the top view, I dragged and dropped my trees in the camera view. Then scaled to add variation. Pinpoint placement from the one view that counts :D.

dioramaD0.jpg

The grain density makes it look like the photograph is about 4x4 centimeters in size- or shot with REALLY FAST film- which lacks verisimilitude considering the amount of light in the shot. I think it may be losing some detail at this point, but maybe that's the look you're going for.

Color balance is really pretty, and the rocks look- well, dang, like ROCKS! :D

• 2 months later...

Ken: Investigating Jack is still happening s...l...o...w...l...y

Life keeps getting in the way. B)

Zaryin: I'd only ever use it in the bacground with modelled detail in the foreground. I figure if I use rendered trees for the images it will be more convincing.

• 2 months later...