Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Phantom of the Opera

A friend was drawing a picture involving Phantom, and it got me thinking... this was mostly a study in modeling and lighting. I was thinking of posting it on A:M stills. One item of concern, however: I didn't make the rose. I think it was on the forum. I seem to remember someone saying it was up for grabs. However, I wouldn't want to use someone's model uncredited. if you know whose rose it is, please tell me, because it's a really nice model. It's one that looks weird unless you apply the supplied pose to it. Thanks!

-Zev

Phantom.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rose looks like a stage rose... nothing wrong with that.

The word Opera seems to float... or not be on the cover of the (score?) (playbill?) booklet...

I like the mask (but I imagine it more smooth.

I like the lighting and the composition as a whole...

Hope I can do as well.

Charlie

Very nice scene I like the simplistic overall feel to it....

* by having the ground black it causes all the models to float.... to help make the models seem a bit grounded try change the colour of the ground or add some specularity to it so it gives the illuision that something is at the buttom...

* the OPERA words seem to float, the offset of the shadows clearly shows it's not actually on the book..

thats just my critz if ur happy with the final render as is then rock on!!

thanks for sharing..

Thanks for all the input. Yeah, I may lighten the stage surface a bit. Also, try turning up the brightness/gamma on your monitor. I agree, though, the book look's like it's hovering. I'll raise it or something so there's a shadow. Does the spike tape read OK?

I'm not sure what the book is, I just wanted some kind of book with music in it. It's just to fill up the scene. It's not meant to be directly related to anything in the book/opera/movie, I just saw someone drawing the mask and rose in MS Paint (pixel by pixel!) and felt sorry for her, so I decided to try a little something of my own. I'm including the image from the cover of a book. The spotlight effect is loosely based on an effect in one of Scott Kelby's excellent Photoshop Down and Dirty Tricks books. I didn't have the book on hand when I made it, but it's the effect I was going for. Maybe it doesn't do too well with the real spotlight in the scene? I could rework it. I was just looking for something that vaguely resembled either a program or a script, but I didn't want to write The Phantom of the Opera on it. What do you mean, the shadow offset shows that the word is not on the book?

Thanks for all the comments!

-Zev

opera_small.jpg

I think you may be right. Is Animation Pit Stop either down or no longer running? I tried and couldn't load it or ping it. Who was running that? Does anyone have a contact? Thanks.

-Zev

I made some changes and rerendered. I made the spotlight printed on the book more transparent, and I changed the color a bit too. I raised the book so it has a shadow on the floor, and I touched up the music inside and the Mask geometry a bit. I also gave the floor and ambience of 10%. It occurred to me that Windows has a really low standard gamma, and that the image probably looks like crap on a windows box. Consider getting a Mac. I hear they're running cheap now... ;) This is the one I'm posting on A:M Stills unless anyone has any objections.

-Zev

Phantom_fixed.jpg

Isn't it amazing how sometimes I small change can make an big impact on what the final image will look like? The second image looks much better.

I'm just curious to know what the yellow x's are. Confetti? Possible changing them to ticket stubs might help with the composition.

They are spike tape. For those not theatrically inclined, it is small crosses of glow-in-the-dark tape which help the stagehands place set pieces and dead actors in the pitch black between scenes. I'll try it with tickets, though. Good idea.

-Zev

Ah, spike tape. Not something that would have crossed my mind for a 3D image, but lingering in the back of my mind, "Gee, those look familiar." But, I am aware with spike tape, having had to lay down miles of it for various productions I've either crewed, directed or performed in. I think I may have a small roll of it laying around, somewhere.