Hash, Inc. Forums

Keeping Feet in Place

Lewa11

Well, I've managed to make a pretty decent (atleast workable, nothin fancy) bone system for a robotic character I'm making (Considering I don't have much experience when it comes to such things). And I recently decided for animation purpose I better find out how to use nulls for the hands and feet so they can stay in place.

I have managed get my feet to react to nulls via IK Kinematic constraint, so far so good. Its just I have no clue on how to keep the feet level, I don't want the feet to tilt around the null, I just want them to stay flat (unless the null is rotated of course).

Is there a simple way of doing this?

:blink:

-L11-

Yes, select the foot bone of your model, new constraint, select "orientlike",

activate the compensate button and then touch the null.

If you don't know what compensate button is, it looks like the paper clip on the upper left horizontal tool bar at the top of the screen.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Okay, that managed to keep the feet level... but not whenever I move the null the foot sort of "floats" around it. Such as, when I move the null upwards the foot tries to go around it, rather than directly follow it (which it does follow, but akwardly due to the sort of "roundabout ruote"). Did I do something wrong?

-L11-

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I would do...completely start over or try to modify your foot to be like this:

1. Create a bone as a child of the "calf" bone (it must be connected)

2. In the PWS right click on the model and click "New>Null"....

3. using the advanced translate manipulator translate the null up so it is overlapping the smaller foot bone (also, using the advanced scale manipulator, scale the null on the z axis so it is large enough to grab)

4. Create a new null and drag it so it is a reasonable distance from the knee (it will become the knee target). This should be the child of the "big" foot null.

5. Now, create a new action or pose

6. On the calf bone:

Right click>New constraint>IK kinematic>click large foot null.

In the properties turn on the option "support limits and damping". If you cannot find this option make sure the "show advanced properties" is checked in the options dialog box (you can find this in the "tools" menu)

7. on the "small" foot bone:

Right click>New constraint>orient like> select the large foot null

8.on the thigh:

Right click>New constraint>Aim At> select the knee target

There ya go. You got something good. If you want a toe just simply add a bone as a child of the smaller foot null. This will not be constrained to anything.

Screenshot:

post-43-1119416445.png