Hash, Inc. Forums

1:18 scale 2005 Mustang prototype

chazcron

This is a cool little model. You posted the images a while ago , didn't you? One of the best car images I've seen in AM. :D

Any chance of a mesh shot? being in the middle of a car model I'm curious as to how others get around the topography.

• 2 weeks later...

Great model i wonder how you conquered the problem of mesh not quite been smooth in some area where you end up with 5 point patches that read kinda of lumpy around the panels above the wheels or on the doors on my cars i tend to get those sometimes. So i stop production because if it does work when i initially start the model i start over because modeling doesn't take me long to do but certain areas that deal with technical illustration by hand is easy it the translation to 3d especially cars in hash.

if you do mind maybe you can highlight on a post or a link a 1 or 2 panel image link that shows a synopsis on how you've eliminated the lumpiness that occurs in the model in those areas. Maybe it is because i modeling most of my car parts as individual pieces like car paneling, doors etc. Most people model those sreas as one piece but i wish to animate the doors and hoods as free moving objects maybe my meshes/splines need more detail? ............. Ohh sorry did I say .. Again love the car mann!!!!!!!!! :D

The reality is I make it up as I go along. As the keyboard shortcuts get memorized, the focus get on the splines. I get better as I model more regularly, as in one or two hours each night after the kids are down, and my wife is "happy"

Every panel on this car has been worked at least twice and there are a few places I just couldn't improve to get kinks out. I wish AM had the ability add a cross-section rib without manually adding splines. Even though the spline adding has improved, the bias handles still go wonky when adding a spline. Here's a tip. Don't end more than one hook on the same line. I got away with it below the door, but generally, they want to snap to each other, and when they do, unconnecting them puts them connected somewhere else. When adding a hook, make SURE you've moved it close to the line you intend on ALL THREE VIEWS. The bias handle will flip unexpectedly if it is far away in the other views, and it usually is if you add one to the end of a line. If you try to adjust it, BAM! goodbye AM. Sometimes, the handles "disappear" when you drag them. They moved, the view just needs refreshing (space key) HOWEVER, DO NOT HIT THAT SPACE BAR YET. Save as soon as you get bias handle funkyness. Hit that space bar and it's goodbye, charlie. This is MAC advice.

When hooks don't stop the creasing, go the distance and effort and make it go all the way through to another crease or the underside. Use the Properties panel to make precise adjustments to bias handles. Angle of bend and length of handles can be accomplished by clicking and dragging left or right on the numbers to the right of the box.

I can't give a panel render/discussion because AM 10.5n in OSX Panther 10.3.1 Classic mode does not preview render on any of my computers.

Here's the prototype after some painting;

ProtoNew6.JPG

EDIT: Holding something in your hands you've spent months modeling on the computer is way cool. The blue color is photoshopped over the primer, thus a little dull. The finished product will be gorgeously glossy.

:D thank's i'll try it hopefully i have the patience as you to finish them. i'll start modeling a car and it takes about a day (3-5) hrs. then once i have the car modeled (except for major detailing) but the basic model like you had but the model will have some artifacts on on door moldings when i do a quick rendered so i call the project a flop and start over since it doesn't take long to model. but it just getting the initial paneling the way i want it. So when this is done it will have a realistic fell with moveable doors and maybe hoods.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you clarify what we're seeing? The wireframe, of course, looks to be out of A:M, but the photos are real atoms being imaged, correct? But in the one image you said the blue is photoshopped over the primer, so I'm not sure whether you are bringing the photograph of the atomic model into photoshop and applying color just for us visual learners or whether you're taking the output of A:M render into Photoshop and applying color there.

BTW, I keep my 17" iMac on 10.2.8 to be able to get renders and such because I, too, have inconsistent results with 10.3.2/Classic/10.5o

Oh, when can we drive the Mustang? :) My 8 year-old really wants to take it for a spin :P

Jim

It's the real atomic thing...

Will Sutton of Zandoria Studios pointed me to http://3darttopart.com and that's where I got mine, $95. Lots of sanding and priming. The finished is at:

http://www.bradbarnett.net/upload/side.jpg

http://www.bradbarnett.net/upload/top.jpg

Check out these views too

http://www.bradbarnett.net/upload/GT40.jpg

http://www.bradbarnett.net/upload/FrontLow2.jpg

http://www.bradbarnett.net/upload/XCU40.jpg

The new Stang will be unveiled on January 4th at the Detroit Auto Show (www.naias.com) Driveable in the spring or fall.

I'll not go back to Jaguar, Panther is it for me. I'll just hope Hash gets it right soon.

front.jpg