Hash, Inc. Forums

pourche car modeling

hi there,i'm new at this forum. still a noob and wish to get help i'm modeling a pourche car in AM, and wish to share my current step with you, i tried to find a tut about car modeling for AM but didn't find any....if someone has comments, ideas, or suggestions i will be very happy...thanks :rolleyes:

post-7-1118089027.jpg

Edited by Jin-Kazama

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so far very nice . . . wow thats better than I can do.

I've attempted modeling cars so many times its not funny . . . you should see the first one i finished eh its horrible

The problems I see: The doors will be hard to do if you want them to open and shut.

Making the windsheild and windows could give you trouble because it's attached to the frame.

If the windows are going to be transparent then you could have difficulties modeling the interior

keep it up it looks great!

ben

Another thing to keep in mind for semi-realistic objects is beveling.

The holes for the wheel wells and head lights could be extruded a few times to make a nice round edge to catch some of the light.

hatches

Basic Splinemanship

Gamma's

Modeling an Aircraft Engine

The Advantages of Beveling

Those links should keep you busy for a while.

How about creating a car tutorial after you've mastered the subject? You seem well on your way to doing so.

That looks like an very nice start. You have managed to get an very nice shape with few splines, and that is great. But I would recommend you to separate the parts (hood, doors and so on). I usually tries to get the overall shape, like yours, before I separates them. Keep it up

thanks for those good links...i read them before,and in fact, writting a tut about modeling a car is the main reason behind this work...i've seen many tuts for other 3d apps like box modeling and nurbs modeling.. i tried to read as much as i could, to find out a good and simple way to model a car...and i'm planing to finish this car and get the most help i can to make it look like those car models in other 3d apps, i havn't seen any tut about this for AM, and that upsets me alot...everyone of u can come and give advices, tricks or whatever to finish the car, i will include i link for the mdl file so everyone can check it and see what he can do to improve it. looks like a project...the only great car i've seen and was made in AM was a raceing car modeled by a japanese guy called NOA1 as i think and u can find his linke in the tutorial section under the beginners part..

i will do many mistakes for sure and i want u to guide me...all those who would like to share writting this tut will be included as writters ( multy writter tutorial) this is my plan to model the car...first i would get the shape of the car, improve it to be as perfect as i can, then seprate the car parts...it's the commen way to do a car in other apps specially those who're using box modeling...for spline modeling,..i was using lots of tweaks by the bias handeler...it;'s a cool tool but gives some unexcpected results sometimes...i faced some problems during modeling this one...and i will opst all of them soon...this is the latest thing i came up with...

thanks in advanced for ur support my great new famliy :lol:

post-7-1118093986.jpg

dear fochur...sorry...my english is not that good....here i created the halls of the front and back windshild ( where glass would be)

i tried to bevel them a bit so i can get the rounded corner effect..i will add the glass mesh to it...

ami going good with that??? i hope so...for this new step...please inform me if something wronge to fix it...

i have another question. how to upload more than image in one reply??? sorry but not used to forums yet...

thanks in advanced

post-7-1118099715.jpg

You seem to be well along in your modeling but you might find something useful here;

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rodger.reynolds/a...e/auto_tute.htm

My only suggestion is if you're really serious about splining realistically smooth automotive surfaces, try setting your default material specular size and intensity to 50. You'll see every wave, crease and dimple. Happy tweaking.

hi again...i removed the rubber at the windwos hole, it wasn't ok as i think, i had to reduce the CPs and reshape them..also made some basic details for the front and back bumpers ( do we call it like that)

another thing. please tell me howto upload more than one image in a singel reply

post-7-1118158537.jpg

You may already be doing some of these things, but here are my comments:

It may help to look at the model in shaded mode and not wireframe mode, in order to spot any unwanted creases or dimples.

I don't know if you are familiar with the TV show The Dukes of Hazard but the main car featured in that show had the doors welded shut, so the characters could get into it quickly through the window. Right now your doors look like that is how they would function. The shape of the doors look good. You might wish to model them as seperate from the main mesh if you want them to be able to open.

That's all I can think of right now. Looking good!

thanx 4 advices, sure i will open a door. the problem that i'm still looking 4 a good way to do things..i wish if i can get a wireframe image for a car...when i start modeling. i take care to prepare the seprated parts from the begining, though they r all once one mesh...i may delay to come up with the final car....but it's all cuz of searching for the best way...like now....i'm trying to find a good way to do the window rubbers and glass which is paining me cuz of spline mistakes, i found out a good way to do a very relastic body shape...i think i would start the modeling all over again....if someone wish to help i would be happy....thanx

hi again, i remodeled the porsche again, i came up with this shape...the colored places is where i will cut the body parts...the problem now is this: cuz all lines which is connected to the CPs are continuse, i think the smoothness of the end points will be lost if i cut the parts, also is there a good and fast way to make the small rounded edges between the seprated parts to give it the look of the real cars edges? thanks for helpping and waiting for ur kind comments..

post-7-1118326270.jpg

..the smoothness of the end points will be lost if i cut the parts, also is there a good and fast way to make the small rounded edges between the seprated parts to give it the look of the real cars edges?

Is there some reason it has to be fast? A:M is not optimized to do fast, precise mechanical modeling (character animation doesn't need a special tool to simplify cutting and folding sheet metal type surfaces). So your only option is to cut every spline and stitch along their edges. (I would have made each part individually from the start; but that's just me).

I would suggest the following sequence:

select the spline to be cut

hit the Insert cp button

hit the Tab key

hit the Insert cp button again

hit the Tab key again

hit the Break spline button

This way you'll end up with a dangling spline from both parts on either side of the new gap.

Then the fun begins as you tweak bias values to smooth the surfaces. (Default bias values are calculated to simplify character animation which may not be the optimum bias values to model realistically smooth automotive surfaces).

When it comes to forming the rolled edges, I'm aware of two choices:

http://www.ypoart.com/tutorials/bevels-intro.htm

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rodger.reynolds/f...fillet_tute.htm

Obviously I'm biased towards the second choice.

Not so bad, but it is a german car, so it is a german name... not a american or british or whatever...

*Fuchur*

In Louie Armstrong voice <singing>

"You say Porsche.... I say Pourche

You say Tomaato... I say Tomaeto

Let's call the whole thing off" :P

hi there, i need some help defining if the distance between the seprated parts is good enough to start beveling the edges?

Fuchur: it's ok....i like the german car...ok brother....i realy do.....i like german ppl as well....ok.....the name is pursche....i respect the name.....ok.....calm down man

Agep: i like the car model u made...it's realy cool....compared to my bike...eh...i mean my pursche...it's something amazing...looking forward to get some tips for my car modeling...

post-7-1118439011.jpg

Nice so far! I'd do the select the area, cut, then paste. That will give you the model part and you can then name it driver door, passenger door, hood, or whatever. Then select the body and mostly the area on it you just copied from, and hide everything else. Next, delete the splines (make sure you break the ones that can be using "k") in that area where you just copied from (again, on the source model). Finally, unhide and slide that part back into place. Or to be more precise, before copying and pasting, in your settings under the units tab, change the paste/extrude to 0. Then after you copy then paste, write down the x,y, and z location of the new model part. After going through the process of deleting the splines on the master model, then select the new part and punch in the numbers.

And remember, Porsche is pronounced "Por-sha", not porsh.

thanks gschumsky, yeah i know..my aunt was a student in germany before, she told me how to say it...well...they r ready...with deffrent names, all i was about to sk is the distance between each part, is it ok or not....by the way....y not trying to write a tutorial about car modeling...this gonna help lots of ppl who may need a starting point, also agep may help....just trying to give something that isn't there, even me when i tried to model a car i've search 4 a tut but didn't find any...thanks again...

Hi Jin ...

I just love porsche ... i modeled one 3 months ago ... nice and cleans patches congratulation .. keep us update

here is my attempt

porscheattempt1.jpg

hi there....thanks gus for your kind replies...it gives me the power to go on...i remodeled the car again....some ppl would say ; what the hell does this guy doin? ok i would tell that i'm trying in every new model to lower the patch counts and get the best smooth curves i can...my last model is going very fine...i'm planing to go ahead with it....i made lots of screen shots during modeling....so when i finish this one...i will start write - not a tutorial cuz i'm not that pro - a how i did the car....i hope if someone can give me Mr. Agep email so i can contact him to get help with what i'm doing...this guy is a pro....i would be happy if he can put his touch even in the how to tutorial....this is the last thing i came up with....promise to finish this as soon as possiable....thanks for everything brothers and sisters,,,,love ya hashers :P

post-7-1118864481.jpg

The areas you point to is just a matter of manipulating the splines, via the bias handles and such to get the shapes you need. Honestly that's one of the more challenging things, at least for me, in splining. I'm not super good it at myself. The car looks good though. Got a wireframe? That would help.

I had similar problems with my Mach 5.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...13250&hl=mach+5

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...&hl=speed+racer (WIP thread)

Might be some insight for you there, although I am not the master that Agep is :)

hi...yes pixelmech...here u r a wireframe images for front and back side of the car..also i would like to post how i started modeling the car...the red stroke around the splines are the basic splines i started with which is the main edges for the car..maybe for me, then the blue one is where i started to build the spline cage to form the body...sure the starter splines wasn't that much of splines cuz i'm trying to lower the count of CPs i use...details are forcing me to add more splines here and there...thanks...

post-7-1118934757.jpg

Those look good Jin. How about giving us a render - that will let you see how smooth you are really at. Make yourself a quick and dirty metal texture to slap on there to test with (Check the materials forum, there are some in there if you don't know how to make one).

I believe that is the same method I used to do the Mach 5 after trying and failing at other methods. You've improved each time, looking forward to an update.

hi and thanx for that, pixel...i will post a rendered image very soon...the problem is that i can't come to use my comp cuz i'm going to travel to another city in my country for 2 days....i promise to post new stuff i made when i'm back...forgive me guys....i'll miss u for 2 days...hehe...i'll be thankful if someone can post me a pix for porsche head light..a very close one....thanx for everything

your brother.....jin

here is other renders....sure some of them have some places where needs some tweaking....but it's ok to share them with you brothers and sister..

porsche018.jpg

porsche022.jpg

porsche019.jpg

porsche021.jpg

if someone has comments or suggestion i would be more than happy to apply them to my model....

thanx guys,,

i'm back.....i added mirrors and adjusted the front light, also added a bump map to the tires...it's a decal...i was wondering how to apply the projection map material around the tire to use it as a continouse bump map....if someone know the correct settings pls tell me......thanks and waiting for your comments.. :)

post-7-1119546159.jpg