Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Boat

Hello Hashers

I haven't been so active lately on the forum, sorry for that. Anyway

Here is my latest work

This is an boat model I have been working on.

There is still some few details missing, but it is almost finished.

The model is made of 12466 patches.

Regards

Stian Ervik Wahlvåg

*The image is updated*

Viknes830.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, nice modelling. Really professional. Cute rounded front end, I like that look.

Could I ask about the shadows, however? They seem banded or "dirty." Especially around the door in the view from the rear, and in the front. They look like z-buffer soft shadows, which I've gotten to work very nicely in my film, but maybe the map is too small or the bias a little off?

Could I ask about the shadows, however? They seem banded or "dirty." Especially around the door in the view from the rear, and in the front. They look like z-buffer soft shadows, which I've gotten to work very nicely in my film, but maybe the map is too small or the bias a little off?

Thanks for the comments :)

About the shadows, yeah there is some weird shadows on the door. I use a eight lighted skyrig, and with 25 multipass on the render. never played with buffers. However, if anyone got a tip for that, I'll be happy

Thanks again

Stian

Very nice work. I really like the layout of the splines.

Do you have any good resources for references or are these from photos?

Cheers,

Eugene

That's just awsome! You seem to've cought every detail(I have a pic of a almost identical boat in front of me) and you've created another masterpiece. Congratulations, Stian.

Btw, how much time did you spend rendering?

Thanks for the nice replies

Do you have any good resources for references or are these from photos?

I had a sideview and a topview blueprint/linedrawing of the boat. the rest was judged bye eye from ref photos some photos of the prototype of the boat

how much time did you spend rendering?
The new updated image took 11hr (3072x1536, 36 multipass)

About the shadows, yeah there is some weird shadows on the door. I use a eight lighted skyrig, and with 25 multipass on the render. never played with buffers.

Try a 25 light rig and render at 9 passes. That should give you about the same render time but better distributed light rays and thus better shadows.

Nice model. I like the smoothness of the body.

Stian,

Very nice craft... Both yours and the vessel.

I think your "shadows" are as a result of the light to the aft that is creating the shadows from the throttle controls on the outer bridge. The "dirty" shadows are the shadows of the rear rails on the door. I think, if the boat were actually lighted in this way, you might see the same shadows... but not if they were completelyoverpowered by the overhead, lights...

Does that make any sense?

Charlie

Perhaps could we see this boat in water? . . . please

The 360 looks great!, just one thing i dont like is that it looks like you rotated your model, and not the camera. It's kind of distracting when you use a skylight like that and the shadows are going crazy in every which way direction

Ben :)

It looks pretty good in my opinion, maybe try experimenting with material effectors for a look like water is interacing with the hull of the boat, and I've tried making wakes before, there not that great, but i think if you combine geomitry with good animated materials and some interesting sprites, you could have a quite nice wake!

Looks really good. I love the boat

Ben