Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Richard Derry

Hi fellow Hashers, Í've been awfully busy lately with my schoolwork but in my spare moments i managed to start the character that i was intetn on making when i bought A:M. His name is Richard Derry, he's a midle aged man who's depressed bc he has recently lost his wife. Here is the head WIP, i have yet to do the ears b finals are creeping up on me but i'll work on those as soon as summer vacation starts (june 16th). Meanwhile i would like to refine the face as much as possible before moving on. C & C are welcome.

PS. i was in a rush so the shadows on the skylit render are only raytraced with one ray.

post-7-1117848972.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

!!!!NICE splinage! The lips might need more definition. Just place a spline loop around the outer edge of the lips. It will cause an edge like a bevel. Same thing around the eye openings. Just to define the edges more... What you've done so far is great and if it suits your style, you may not need to add the loops, but I just suggest this because it looks a little too smooth and lips and eye lids have strong edges. Good luck on your finals!

Thank you, yep, i'll get on that, i was actuall considering the bevel like spline loop (i saw it on adamP's mouth WIP). Ughh, i think i might've bombed my English final (although that's what i think, i'm usually wrong regarding these things). Thanx again

• Hash Fellow

The paradox of a modeling a realistic character is that the time spent refining it subtracts from the time you will need to animate it well. And that will be excruciatingly difficult.

But it's a fine looking model, I'll be looking forward to see what you do with it.

Hi, ok half of my finals r done and i've refined the lips+eyelids!!!!! I've attached a skylit render, i'll post wires later. I didn't like the effect that the bevel gave to his mouth, it looks much more natural w/o it in my opinion. Any crits?

post-7-1118278841.jpg

Very nice, the spline ridges on the forehead are very minor.

What have you done to make it that smooth?

Also, the spot where the cheek develops a crease, usually that connects to the nose above and behind the nostril, rather than below or beside it. Try a big smile in a mirror to see what I mean.

Like I said though, nicely done so far.

Thanks, the nose crease is pretty easy to fix so i'll get to that. What do u mena about the forehead? Oh and i used the porcelain material that's in the AM cd, in the materials/geometry folder. It averages the normals of surrounding patches and creates a "polygon smoothness" effect (that's how Martin Hash puts it in his techminutes). I find that it's a great way to fix minor problems on models but good splinage is still required.