Hash, Inc. Forums

BUDDY

No way that's your first! It's just how it should be....this should be printed in the manual!

No crits...love the crease at the side of the nose. Looking forward to your future work.

Well, that's a very nice mouth, might be a touch sharp on the upper lip - although I am not sure about the nose. The nose looks a bit flat, I think that those nostrils need a little nore definition at the front/bottom and the end of the nose looks a little too boxy...

I have to give the credit to "Stop Staring" for the clean splineage. I'm just going through the book line by line. This is my first HUMAN head, not my very first model. I know I need to work on the nose some more.

Thanks guys

NICE so far!

Keep at it, once you're past the nose and eyes you get to work on the dreaded ear!!!

If you include as much detail in the ears... you'll have no problem, but you will be adding a lot of hooks.

Well, that's a very nice mouth, might be a touch sharp on the upper lip - although I am not sure about the nose. The nose looks a bit flat, I think that those nostrils need a little nore definition at the front/bottom and the end of the nose looks a little too boxy...

I agree with Gary but this may be your intention.... The only thing I don't like is the cornder of the mouth - it's too symetrical. Play with the bias handles to have the teardrop shape curve down a little.

Cheers

Haven't had much time to work lately. I'm sure everyone's noticed the second spline ring that's real close to the lips in the wire frame. In "Stop Staring", that second spline ring is supposed to make the sharp edge of the lips visible. I followed the book exactly, but I just don't like how sharp it is. So I took it out. Personally I think it looks better. Also, In following the book, I started getting away from the concept sketches and made my Buddy look too realistic when he's supposed to be slightly cartoony. I'll keep updating when I get more work done. I attached a before/after pic to show the effect of removing that second spline ring.

C&C welcome

post-7-1118097419.jpg

Well, you should look at it with some lights on it in the chor. Testing it under those lighting conditions will let you know if you need the lip edge loop or not. The lighting in the action or camera view doesn't help there.

Here's a chor shot. The one on the right is with the outermost lip ring cut out. I'm not keeping it like this, I just wanted to see if it looked better, but it looks too much like an M,B, or P pose.

post-7-1118180406.jpg

Started working on the eye sockets. I'm having trouble with the nostrils. Still have a lot of work to do. I know the wire pic is messed up, I had some trouble.

Anyway, C&C&Advice are welcome

post-7-1118200236.jpg

Nice! Looks very clean and tidy. For the nostril: I can barely see it, but it looks like you have a four'r that won't close. It seems to be connected in some straaange way, but I'm not quite sure, as I can't really see.

Good job so far :)

I started the head finally. This is still an early WIP. I'm still gonna smooth it out and make a couple of adjustments. I'm just trying to get the mesh together. I know it's not perfect, I just did copy/flip/attach just to show the full head. I just need to know if the layout is okay before I go any further. C&C appreciated.

-thanks

post-7-1118868837.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everybody, I've been going mad trying to model a dang ear for my character. I had the basic shape going, but I couldn't attach it to the head right. So, I went back and figured a way to attach the ear to anything, and now it'll be easier to attach to the head (I hope). Anyway, I just wanted some C&C before taking the next step.

note: there's still some point pulling I need to do, I'm just looking for an accurate way to attach the ear to a head.

post-7-1121232655.jpg

Okay, i think i got it. I might be making a big deal out of this, but please remember that I've never modeled a head with ears before. I was just hoping that someone could tell me which mesh looks cleaner.

*The only difference between the two is that the one on the left has an extra spline going up the forehead.

post-7-1121274326.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I think that any of the jaws are O.K.

However, I must say that head is waaay too small behind the ears... The line where ear starts (I don't know if I am clear) rougly splits head in half (look photo reference of somebody bald)

Other than that: excellent work (unbealivible for the first try)

Drvarceto

Thanks guys

However, I must say that head is waaay too small behind the ears... The line where ear starts (I don't know if I am clear) rougly splits head in half (look photo reference of somebody bald)

I totally understand what you're saying (and you're right), but the look I was going for was not photo-realistic. I hate to say this, but I was going for a "pixar" look. It's hard to tell from a side view, but I actually think this model is achieving that for the most part. If you look at the humans in any Pixar movie (at least the adult humans), their heads are rather flat behind the ear. Anyways, thanks for the C&C.

I think it looks good and it does have that pixar look

if you look at the bonus dvd and look at the "universal man" section of the dvd it looks very similar to that.

I like..... and the ears have that pixar ear look to it........ maybe you can post a tutorial on how you got this look (I might be the only one interested because it seems like everyone else knows how to model something simular but.)

cause it looks coo...

• 2 weeks later...

From what I remember from teh book the character should have an emotionless face. Something completely neutral. The eyes right now are so wide that they will make it hard to show suprised since that will be your default expression for them.

I would close them to a neutral position

the rest looks good. Can't wait to see how you do the rigging of the face.