Hash, Inc. Forums

Lock IK bones?

KenH

Is it possible to lock the axis movement of a bone within an IK chain? I've locked one but it still rotates in the locked axis when the last in the chain is moved....

I think I found one way of achieving this:

If you are using a chain of bones in a typical parent/child hierarchical setup, then I discovered that in order to lock a bone so that it would not be affected when I moved the bottom of the chain, I needed to go into the properties of the bone beneath it (i.e. its child) and set "Attached to parent" to OFF.

So for example if you have a 5 bone chain (bone 5 being the last in the chain) and wish to lock bone 2, you need to switch the bone 3 "Attached to parent" property to OFF.

Gerard

• 2 weeks later...
An Euler Limits constraint with any axis limited to Min O/Max 0, yeilds a non-rotating axison that link in an IK chain.

Of course .... simple really! ... better than my earlier daft suggestion!

And if you needed to rotate the locked bone at a later stage, you would locate the constraint and set the enforcement to 0%, so that you could move the bone in the desired axis of rotation.

Gerard