Hash, Inc. Forums

hindges

Michael,

I think you mean hinge bones don't you?

If I'm guessing you right, then hinge bones are bones that are added to a model generally around joints that bend ... like elbows, knees, hips, shoulders etc. Their basic purpose is to smooth out the bending at these joints to make the bend look more realistic.

You'll find them called fan bones or intermediate bones by some people but they mean the same thing. They're a fairly basic system for joint smoothing, but depending on the simplicity of your character they can often be all you need for a good looking joint.

More complex systems exist like cog bone systems, CP weighting and smart skinning, all of which you may or may not have heard of yet, but it'd be a good idea to learn the basic hinge bone set up first ... the rest will just blow you away at this stage!

If you like I could put together a very simple project file that shows you how these are set up ... let me know. Or perhaps someone else reading this may have a link to a simple tutorial that already exists ...

Gerard

There are also some bones in the 2001 rig that are called hinge bones, but these have nothing at all to do with the fan bone concept.

There is one in each arm and one in each leg, and they are part of the control rig system. They've been given the name hinge because ... well that's what the creater of the rig wanted to call them I guess. You weren't talking about these were you?

Gerard