Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Oz Contest WIP

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noted Rod.

Hmmm....I wonder if people could advise on the type of jaw movement that looks best. I've done onw animation where the whole jaw is moving and another where just the front section moves. They're in this 440kb zip. Any tips?

Jaw_anims.zip

It's really hard to say. On the one hand, metal isn't likely to bend around like a human mouth would. On the other hand, having his mouth simply open and close would make talking really boring. Perhaps there is a comprimise?

Have you seen the movie The Iron Giant? (came out a few years ago) While he didn't talk a whole lot, I think they made his mouth move in a pretty good fashion. Course I haven't seen it in a while either...

I like both of them.

I think that the one where only one part of the mouth is more . . . non animation user freindly.

Maybe you could have him heat up that part of his mout, because we all know that metal is much more plyable when its hot, or maybe have another section of the jaw, that has to become unrusted, so it can be moved

Hey Ken,

Love the compartment, it's really cool. I agree with Rodney thought that it should be a little higher (maybe start at the collar instead of at the belt.)

As for the jaw, it looks most athentic just rotating it, but this is animation it's all about exageration, I say make it as bendy and soft as a regular human mouth.

But if you don't want to, http://www.CarlosBaena.com who works for Pixar has a character with a stiff mouth, check out his sight for some examples of how he get's emotion out of it.

-Alonso

Thanks for the link Alonso! I'll study it. I wonder if there's been any decisions on what phenome method to be used. Or maybe Jason Ospias method? It would be nice to know for everyone.

Ken,

This is REALLY coming along... I love how the ears are part of the jaw, yet separate... Blinking should be no big deal... (especially as well as you are doing, as quickly as you are creating this guy)...

Very cool stuff Ken!

Keep it up, I'll just sit here and lament that I ain't there yet!

Charlie

Very nice. And a tin rose plucked, (snipped).  from his gardens?  :)

That's actually his oil can shaped like a rose.

And here's what I'm thinking for the heart. The light and the ambience aren't right, but you get the idea. It's increasing in size as it beats. You might want to scrub to see it better.

heart.mov

• Admin

Ken,

You really are an amazing talent.

Its great to see your work as it moves step to step toward completion.

Can't stay and chat though...

I'm off to see the Wizard the Wonderful wizard of Oz.

I'm gonna ask him for a bit of artistic talent. ;)

just saw the blink & expressions movies - wonderfully expressive face - good job!

really, really like how he comes across. friendly, goofyish, endearing, happy.

don't care for the heart/chest chamber - think it should be a smaller, more intimate compartment, less robot like - but hey - artistic choice...

Have you made him walk yet? (maybe I missed it - will recheck)

Wasn't the heart given to tinman in OZ one of those plastic heartshaped windup clocks? Just looking for some continuity here... there is reference to the original story in this one... But I'm so enamored with this tinman it realy doesn't matter...

Keep it up Ken! I was just looking at the bottom of his torso... hip joint area.. doesn't feel quite right... but I've no notion how to make it better...

Charlie

I don't know if there's an original decription of the heart in the stories. But I'm just going for the Oz magic fantasy type heart. :D

Hopefully I'll have a walk cycle up soon. His hips are restricted so he won't walk like say Woot. I'm still testing though. I think his hips may need to be double ball joints.

Hey Ken, so, not too go back to the heart position, but since this might be a more modern technologically advanced tin man, you know with the soft bending metal and all!!!

How about this, as the doors open for the chest, part of the motion is the heart's box automatically lowers, as the door open?

Just a thought. Might make it look more techi!

But, I'll tell you looking at your work, it's nothing short of impressive!!!!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Thanks Mike and nice suggestion. There's going to be some "inner working" around the heart. When I get those modelled, I'll see if it's possible to incorporate that.

very good! His knee apears to "lock" as it hits the top of the "shin" (as it should, I think).

Looking great! I like the way his hands seem to arc around his body as he walks... Can't tell if you made the hip a double ball... but it surely is looking believable...

I really didn't think i'd like the thin arms... wanted them to be more stovepipe-like.. but these are certainly great adaptations of the drawings we saw...

Charlie

A rough pass of how I imagine they get around. Hopping! His feet are skating about abit as I've forgotten how to animate a hop and can't find the tut on it. Also, it's only 3 letters long. <_>

It's 175kb...

loon_jump.mov

The walk is a little too slow and upright for my taste (I don't see any shift in balance) and the legs seem to stay bent for almost the entire walk - its almost a pop when they do straighten.

The loon - well he just seems to lack the anticipation, squash and stretch I might expect from an object that is full of air. I think he needs to be a more deformable ballon.

Cheers

But of course Ken - what else would I be using  :o

I thought you might have got it off the net somewhere....

Not every walk has straight legs in it. But they do pop in places. It was just a test of the joints.

Also, I forgot to put squash and stretch into the loon. I think it would make a difference. I'd need to study balloons to know what he should exactly move like. :D

Ken, in your first animation test for the hopping loon, (you probably already caught this) you should create the movement of the massive belly after landing. It looks like a solid block of rock now, but you need to make it jiggle like jelly as a restult of the hop