Hash, Inc. Forums

About Jeff Lew's Rig

I LOVE the Jeff Lew rig, it's really simple and easy for someone like me . . . but im having a problem.

The contraints are setup through an action, and when i try to make a new action, the contraints get all messed up . . . can someone help me?

when in the action window with the constraints... choose create pose from the action menu atop... I think.

Then you will have a pose that you can turn on or off...

I think this is what your asking?

yeah and btw.... his rig is so simple I sometimes feel as though it disqualifies the other complex systems out there.....

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• 3 weeks later...

No I meant open a new action window.

then(I don't remember how he set everything up.... so something to this effect)

make sure all the constraints are on, active, whatever

make sure the constraint button at the bottom of the key is depressed

Got to the Action menu at the top of the screen and choose create pose.

If all worked out, you should have a new pose that you can activate in new action windows to turn the constraints on.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why people like this rig so much, it's pretty basic. It has no option. The only reason this works well is that it has alot of smartskin. If you install this rig in your model, it won't work as well as Jeff Lew's model unless you smartskin or cp weight ALOT.

I don't know.... I sort of disagree with this.

This rig is as basic as putting the bones where you want them.

He has IK for the legs and Fk for the arms.

No complex set ups. I feel like I'm starting to lean more towards this set up philosophy.

I don't like how he set the IK Legs though.... the hash 2001 rig has the ideal IK design.

And the FK arms just have the Lock joint feature to stop the other bones from moving.

Throw fans or cogs:) in there and this should work like your standard

GI joe toy with swivel arm grip!

But to each his own. I've spent countless hours messing with IK and FK and the bottom line is if you can easily get your character where you want it at a specific point in time..... you win.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I like Jeff's rig and have put it on one of my models without a stitch of smart skin and it just plain works. I even adapted Mark's heel raise to it and put in some fan bones. It doesn't do any kind of IK/FK arms switch, but I haven't done enough animating to know when I will definitely need IK arms. I agree with 3DARTZ, it is a great rig and easily adaptable.

Scott

Jeff lew's rig is very simple, i have learned alot about rigging since i started this thread. Both Rigs ( the 2001 and Jeff Lew's ) are effective in there own ways.

For a simple low res model, jeff lew's rig with a few extra bones would be ideal, but for complex models i think that the 2001, properly . . . Installed you might call it, would work better

It is all a matter of opinion, and need.

A rig that i just discovered was made by jamagica, it is similar to Jeff lew's, but has severl more complex features, which i think is a good midpoint.

My 2 cents that proly dont make any sense

Jeff Lews Rig is as basic as it gets. Anyone with a few instructions can build it (no need to install it). The only reason it works well is alot of smartskin.

Fishman, I may be getting the wrong inpression from Mike (3DArtZ) but I don't think he agrees with you, except for simplicity. The more things that are hiden in a rig that make it work well the better. I guess my rig doesn't work as well as jeff Lew's.

As for me agreeing with Mike about the 2001 rig, I like it except for the IK setups, they should be blended, among other things.

Jamagica's rig works well with his model. Most of the things he has in it are muscle motion poses that can not be transfered to your model when installed.

That's my 2 cents.

Fishman, I may be getting the wrong inpression from Mike (3DArtZ) but I don't think he agrees with you, except for simplicity. The more things that are hiden in a rig that make it work well the better. I guess my rig doesn't work as well as jeff Lew's.

You are pretty touchy. If you read this and other threads (See the Calling All Rigs thread), you will see that I have praised your rig and even commented that I adapted your heel raise to Jeff's rig on one of my characters.

My point is this: Jeff Lew's rig is very praiseworthy as well for its simplicity and its stability. It is a good rig for beginners and a pretty good rig for animations that do not require IK arms. Your rig is much more complex, but it is feature rich and aslo very stable. Depending on what I might be doing with a character, I might use your rig, Jeff's rig or even rig up something myself (for non biped characters as an example). There is no one perfect rig. As Mike stated, if someone's rig gets you there it is good.

I guess you could read Mike's response either way, so I'll leave it up to him as to whether or not he meant to agree with the statement that Jeff's rig is good.

Peace?

Scott

I've rigged my character 3 times over the last couple of weeks trying to find, and decide upon, an 'ultimate' but simple to install rig that can be used in all models in our project. I've tried and tested the Hash 2001, the Jeff Lew and Mark Skodacek's new improved version of the 2001. For me, Mark's rig (which is VERY easy to install - or would be had I not made a couple of stupid errors when installing :D ) was easily the best. I have done no smartskinning at all and judging by the animation so far, I think I'm going to have to do very little, if any. I think Mark has worked wonders with this rig, especially in the shoulder area. I guess a lot may depend on the design of your character though.

Jeff Lews Rig is as basic as it gets. Anyone with a few instructions can build it (no need to install it). The only reason it works well is alot of smartskin.

As for me agreeing with Mike about the 2001 rig, I like it except for the IK setups, they should be blended, among other things.

Jamagica's rig works well with his model. Most of the things he has in it are muscle motion poses that can not be transfered to your model when installed.

That's my 2 cents.

I didn't intend for my rig to be used in other models..I never thought it'd create impact. Wow! I do plan to make uber poses with bones in the future....