Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Need Help with Hooks

Gary

Using v105n

On several occasions when I've tried to hook a spline, it shoots past the target spline and attaches itself to another spline, sometimes with a hook and sometimes with a CP. In the past I've been eventually able to get it hooked where I need it, but this time no matter what I do it just keeps attaching itself to another hooked spline further on. I've included a couple of screenshots showing where it's supposed to go and where it actually ended up. I had even locked and hidden all the CP's outside of the area shown in the first image, yet it still attached itself to the same hooked spline.

Can anyone tell me how to get around this, or why it's happening?

Thanks,

Gary

post-7-1067664615.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've done that as well without any luck.

I was finally able to get it to hook in by disconnecting the hook it was attaching itself to and deleting that spline. After I got the problem hook to attach, I re-attached the original lateral hook. Now, the problem hook on the character's left turns up slightly at the end rather than down as it does on the other side. This causes a slight crease in the model that I'd like to get rid of. I just noticed another hooked spline on that side that does the same thing. I wonder if I should delete and redraw that vertical spline that the hooks connect to.

Any ideas? ;)

Gary

post-7-1067672860.jpg

The problem here is that you are using to many of those hooks in one little area. Hooks rely on there being lots of information as to how they should look without you telling them. If you have a whole load of hooks together, then each one of them is looking about to see the lye of the land but all it can see is other hooks asking the same question.

Hooks are realy handy but it is best to find ways around them. A nice even mesh of square patches will allways look best.

Gary, in your exmple there are two hooks both sort of "facing" each other. By re-adjusting things a bit you could easily have it so that you have one spline running through them rather than two hooks:

Take the spline that is running from the crotch and allong the bottom of the 5point patch and make that the same spline as the one that hooks on below it. You will have to detach it from its current position to do this. Then you will be left with a spline waiting to be told what to do above it. You can make this run into the spline that is currently hooked above it.

Two birds, one stone - now you have just one hook.

Hope that was clear and usefull.