Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

castlehall

I tried to use some textures and lighting for the first time to achieve a certian

style. Here is the result for now.

Many things are still bothering me though:

-The lightbulb in the standlamp next to the comfychair doesnt seem to work correctly. I made the bulb and the cover transparent but the light is not showing enough still.

- the texturemap for the wall are tiled and double applied for bump and colormap.

I am not sure , if they show correctly and are properly aligned positioned.

-the oak material for the wood works quiet nice, scaled down to 1 % except for the backwall of the big bookcase , where they seem to big scaled somehow.

I will try struggeling some more.

Any advice is highly welcome

;>) jake

holmG0.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking great so far. I like the semi-real vs toony thing you've got going on.

A couple things caught my eye.

1) I think the bear's eyes are too stark and my eye was drawn to them. Maybe some eyelids would tone them down a bit.

2) The suit of armor guy's feet seem too round (to my eye).

I am so new to lighting I couldn't even think of commenting on that. Except to say you've got a mood now. I personally can't move on to radiosity as I don't even know what I'm doing with more traditional lighting setups yet.

Keep on!

Doug

I think the pic is good, it has a cartoony almost Scooby Doo fell to it. I wouldnt change much of the modeling. As far as lighting goes. The easiest way to do lighting is to place lights where they would be naturally, dont just throgh lites in anywhere. For example.

What stands out the most in your pic, is a blue and yellow light. The blue light seems to be radiating from behind and to the left of the camera, and the yellow from over near the fire place somewhere.

The blue light should be coming from through the window that the knight is infront of, and try to use a slate color like you see at night when the moon is out. Use that light from the window to give the room its initial hint of ambiance. Than use ur orangish yellow light, from the fire place, not to saturate the room with yellow light, but to add some warmth to the slate colored light, and keep the fall off of the fire place glow small, maybe only going out as far as the back of the chair. Than to play with shadows, just add a few soft lights here and there, to highlight certain details of ur room.

So to sum it up, don't flood rooms with distinctive colored lights, unless its a disco, use a soft color from windows to give a default ambiance, than use other soft short fall off lights, to shadow, and accent features of ur room, so u dont drowned detail out with bright colored lights.

hope that helps. If not just ignore everything i said.

Thanks triath, i will proceed as you suggested , but first I have to overcome the difficulties with the standlamp.

I made the bulbpart of the model transparent like glas, then I put a bulplight inside with a bone. The lamps cover I made 40 % transperent with transluceny 40% also. The bulbs intensity I put to 80% with 208 and Fall off 300 and this is what I get.

I dont feel that this looks like a decent reading -light yet.

What am I possibly doing wrong?

Any idead?

Jake?

standlamp0.jpg

probably what i'd do is:

1) change the light from that bright yellow, to a more subtle tone, you can keep yellow, if u want, but make it much lighter, or more gray. Being that bright of a yellow, is wahing out the color on ur chair.

2) for the lamp shade. proably the easiest thing to do, would be to use a tga with transparency, or 2 bmps as decals. Make one ur paper like texture or cloth for the lamp shade, and than another one flag as transparency map, and make it about 60% transparent in the center where the bulb is most intense, and fade to "0" transparency as u get to the edges of the lamp shade.

Here hopefully these links work, if not let me know. I spent a couple minutes and made a quick lamp prj. to show u what i mean about decaling. hope they help. The lamp itself has no materials for the stand or lamp shade rims, but u will get the idea.

EDITED BY TRIATH5147

the other links didnt let u in without a password, so here are new links. hopefully they work.

http://home.comcast.net/~triath5147/art/lamp.zip

lamp.JPG

O.k. thank you very much, I will try this as soon as possible,

but when I look at your project, I find too things strange:

1.- you just put the light above the bulb in the chor but not as a bone into the model.

I want to learn how to do this, that the models get a proper lightfunction, like with the standlamp and with cars for instance.

I must be missing something still in achieving this result....

2. -In your decaling-solution I see 4 stamps each, wouldn`t be 2 cylindrical applied stamps be enough?

?:>/ Jake

well it was made quickly and not intended to be a master piece. All I did was stamp the model on both sides to get the decal on, of course if u would spend more time, and unwrap the model u could decal it otherwise., secondly to get a good glow off of the bulb, u do not want it to be transparent. In the total of maybe 4 minuted i spent making this i did not worry about the light diffuse either.

Well after many tweaking and fumbeling and lurking into other threats I achieved this.

There are a few issues still:

---In the chimney are two lights one klieg and one bulb, the Bulblight seems to shine through the wall, though I checked the nulls and made it massive.

---The bear in the foreground doesnt seem to cast shadow.

---The standlamp still doesnt look quite right to me.

---The granit .mat on the hall,colum seems still a bit too big, though I scaled it down to 8 % already.

Anyway besides of this I am already quite content with what I have got.

Any hints and comments are welcome

;>) Jake

chimnS0.jpg

• Admin

Love the detail! Keep tweaking the light settings.

I hope you keep this project for the inevitable compositing with v12.

Adjusting light levels will really make your scene/project zing! :)

Rodney

I fiddelled around with the lights one more whole day and.....

it got even worse!!!!

I find it very frustrating and difficult to fumble with the lightsettings.

And...

I couldn`t go back to the better stages I had before.

How do you veterans and pros handle the lightingwork to avoid this.

There must exist some workarounds before the compostingfeatures of AM12, I suppose?

Jake

Maybe I pose the new pic later to demonstrate?

Hi Jake,

I suggest you save your project with different name each time you render new version, like Castle_001, Castle_002, etc. Each render should be named that way too, so you can later associate them to the right project (Castle_001@000.tga, Castle_002@000.tga, ...). It will help you a lot in your learning process. My last lighting project took me 55 versions to look the way I want.

I think you doing good here. The scene is not easy at all. I'm no expert, but what help me is when I get to a point when I'm not sure what to do, I turn all the light to 0 intensity, and start all over again, one light at a time. You have 3 main light source so far :chimney, lamp, and that blue to the left.

I suggest you start with the chimney, which for me is in the drive seat here. You can get a very nice mood with just that, meaning the old man will be in silhouette (it will look a bit mysterious). Set the right intensity, and then have some low intensity big width bounce lights the give ambiance.

I'm not sure what the blue is exactly. As Triath said, it look problematic. It doesn't seem to come from outside, when we look at the window, but it doesn't look like ambient night light either (too strong, too directional).

Keep it up!

Looking great Jake - really nice. I agree with Doug - the feet on the suit of armor really threw me off. I was thinking how sweet it was modeled then I saw the feet ;) I think even if you just flatten them on the bottom you will be fine. You obviously spent a fair amount of time working on that, and it *looks* like you just threw the feet on (whether or not that is true).

Great scene though and love the guy sitting in the chair - comfy!

Tom