Hash, Inc. Forums

Dynamic Constraint

aaver

I'm playing with Dynamic Constraints and now I'd like to reproduce one of the simpler examples in the Tech Talk #3 Video; the one where thee bones collide with a one patch surface. What ever I try, I'm unable to make it work. I have set Object Collisions to ON, but What else do I have to do?

What is the obvious think I'm missing?

• 1 year later...

Hello from 2:00 AM smoking (as in fast) Hash session in San Diego, CA... :blink: Its working out here.

Hmmm, just now I created a ponytail on one of my leading virtual actresses, Monique (i.e. a realistic character model). I used dynamic constraints with collision detection and that ponytail is wiping all over the place -- its like friggin propeller -- its going WAY too fast but... as you can see, the head is stopping the ponytail every time perfectly -- also it doesn't fold into itself. Before I added collision detection, in realtime tests, it was inside of the head half the time and the other half, inside itself. I obviously have some adjustments to make to slow it down, LOL, but you can see its working... too well in this case. BTW I'm using version 13d just out today.

Do you have your normals facing the right direction? There are a lot of little details like the CD radius, the normals, the thickness of the mesh. I haven't tried that thing from the tutorial but for me its working great.

[attachmentid=18583]

Cheers,

Rusty

BTW, my speed problem is due to the bone at the end of the chain with the dynamic constraint on it -- it's too small and there are too many bones in the chain.

[...]BTW I'm using version 13d just out today.

Do you have your normals facing the right direction? There are a lot of little details like the CD radius, the normals, the thickness of the mesh. I haven't tried that thing from the tutorial but for me its working great.

I think I have already tried everything, but I'm still on v12.0w. Maybe this is only working in v13? Probably not, but can anyone confirm Object Collision working in v12.0w?

• 1 year later...
I'm playing with Dynamic Constraints and now I'd like to reproduce one of the simpler examples in the Tech Talk #3 Video; the one where thee bones collide with a one patch surface. What ever I try, I'm unable to make it work. I have set Object Collisions to ON, but What else do I have to do?

What is the obvious think I'm missing?

I'm testing this in v14a right now and turning Object Collisions ON for the Dynamic Constraint totally breaks it. The constraint works great without object collisions. It does not work at all with object collisions ON. I sent in a bug report.

Edit: When I do a "Simulate Spring Systems" with object collision ON, the Dynamic Constraint simulates correctly EXCEPT the dynamic chain does not collide with other objects. I got Object Collisions to work once but so far I cannot repeat that.

Another Edit: Collisions actually work fine with Dynamic Constraints! ... but there's a trick to it. You have to switch to Front View before you "simulate spring systems". Much thanks to sgross for that tip.