Hash, Inc. Forums

Short Film in Production: Ballet Pour Ma Fille

Thanks guys. Crits noted. I've made some changes to the camera (good call), with it reacting faster it seems more kinetic. Added a quick bone to the canopy and have it reacting with a little lag to the body. Hard to see in the 60 frames or so it gets, but maybe the "gestalt" of it will mean improvement.

Made a few changes to the ambulance timing, but... I'm still looking at it.

Thanks again- as usual, the crits are spot on and helpful!

Paul: 'twould be nice if 2006 is theyear. I'm about to finish section 8 tomorrow that leaves 9-12. The finish will happen, oh yes it will... sometime.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Peter,

I like the clip and agree with the other crits on the vehicle.

I also wonder if it would make more sense for him to come out the side opening, and be standing up rather than out the front of the canopy. There is something about the way his hands slide and the angle he comes out at that doesn't make it clear whether he is hurt or not. If he is hurt, I would expect him to crawl out, if he is not then standing up may make more sense.

Welcome back and Happy New Year! Hope things are going well at school.

Scott

Excellent!

People have already pointed out the ambulance issues. I would add that his hands trouble me. It seems like they should be locked down when he's holding onto the truck... it'll make things seem more 'solid.'

You're one of the best CGI lighters I know, BTW. That scene looks gorgeous. I hope, if you finish this year, you'll consider doing some lighting for TWO. (And animation, too, of course!)

Scott,

Funny thing is, Ravel solved how to get out of the ambulance himself. See, the actor is too short to even see over the canopy top if he was standing on his tiptoes. This is a short man. Also, his initial concern is for the cat who caused the accident. There's more to this sequence than this one brief shot- it's a whole build up where the cat is the focus and clearly the cause of the problem.

I understand your concern for wanting to know the state of the character- injured/not? There's narration over this portion, and a previus long sequence of near-accidents he gets into again and again and again on this stretch of road. The narration indicates he was always OK after the accident and so was his ambulance... and that in fact for him there's an encounter coming up that he's talking about as the important detail he remembers of this night. -shrug- maybe the wider context will make that a non-issue when it's all put together.

Zach,

Yep. Hands weren't locked down at all at that point- that was just a rough sketch of the shot to ensure things were about where I wanted them. Next post will have the latest version.

Thanks very much for the compliment. Wow.

And as for TWO, I will certainly be updating AM versions, refamiliarizing myself with it, and then wanting to do something for TWO once finished with BPMF.

Here are some stills from this shot. Next post the updated animation.

post-1274-1136155089_thumb.jpg

The clip. Most crits acted on.

One little detail hard to see in quick renders like this is the lighting- the right headlight goes out after a little flicker. Well, *I* liked that little details- right as the cat looks at the car.

Stuff still needed: Cat head dip when he returns to looking up while walking forward; possible slight repositioning of Ravel and how he's looking around the canopy. Maybe add some more "bounce" to the ambulance when it hits.

Anyway, moving on to the next shots. My crit notebook remains open, however. While I'm moving on, when I go back over the whole film before final renders, I WILL be going through the crit notebook and working out any last things.

DiVX- 400x224 size.

0803c_divx.zip

Peter,

Love the stills. The lighting is exquisite. I love how the headlights of the ambulance act as a rim light for the cat.

The hands still seem a touch floaty in the animation clip. Maybe he should put one hand on the ground and pull himself over the canopy with the other hand. With two hands on the canopy and the angle of the head he seems to be in an awkward position.

Can't wait to see what's next. Ihope you have a long break from school so that we who are starved for updates on your work will get enough to satisfy us during your next term!

Scott

Scott,

I see the moment where it goes wrong now- it's totally clear. Consider it fixed...

Breaks over- dagnabit. But I have a *very* odd schedule this coming term: preinternship, final clinical rotation (minor stuff), and studying for comprehensive exams... It's entirely conceivable I could continue to animate a bit as I go through this term...

The end is just coming into site enough that I get anxious now and want to finish!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...