Hash, Inc. Forums
mschoenhals

Which Game Engine?

Hi all,

I'm a media and animation teacher and want to extend my course to include using student created models and environments in a game.

Is there a game engine out there that would be fairly easy to work with for importing AM models and modifying the game play (ie: level design)?

Thanks,

Mike

sg: do you have any experience with using a:m models with this environment?

-jon

Althought the trial demo never got released becuase of some programming bugs. The game Action Bird, is now finished, and set to go to stores in a month or two. It was created solely with AM and Game Studio.

Well if you have been using Game Studio for 10 years, you should be a member of their forum, just do a search of Action Bird and u can find some screen shots from when it was a WIP.

i know nothing about game studio, and a little bit more about a:m.

i'm trying to find a new 3d web animation environment to export to, since the home team arcticpigs seems to be at end of life.

-jon

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

Hello All,

This thread looks about the closest I'm going to get to answering any of my questions and meeting new people with like interests. B)

I have been dabbling in A:M for a few years now and it is time to take it to the next level. My son is interested in video games (what kid isn't?). Anyway, I thought that I want my son not just playing them, but also learning how to create them as well. Last Christmas we got him 3D Gamemaker and he had some fun with that. I want to consolidate some programs (A:M and some game engine). So, we have downloaded a 30 day trail of 3D Gamestudio and the tutorial, (great tutorial by the way) and we are 4 days into it. So far everything is looking great. I like the level of detail with 3D Gamestudio (much better than Darkbasic Pro). So, if anybody has any input with the "marriage" of these two fine products, please feel free to respond. :)

Liquidspaceman, over and out...

I also started trying gamestudio this week. I am very impressed by its features and and results.

I have tried blitz3d or darkbasic before, and they are completely amateur tools compared with 3D gamestudio, without the need to go into a more 'hardcore' engine like Torque.

Also I can see that the community is very active, and there are lots (and I mean LOTS) of resources, including tutorials, models, code and other tools.

I am not experienced enough at game engines, but I have modeled for games some years ago, in other programs. I think actually A:M is about the best tool around for character modeling, and you can use the AMXtex .X exporter to get your models to gamestudio, along with animations and textures. I think the best integration is to make models and characters in A:M, and maps and levels directly into the gamestudio WED editor.

You should read this thread:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15866

The other engine to try with AM is Reality Factory, it is a completely free download, using the Genesis engine as the core. It is lacking in alot of features, but has some kewl ones too. If your looking to make a simple shooter/dungeon crawler, Reality Factory is all you'll need. Althoug if you want to make something that could sell, I suggest Game Studio, it is consistantly updated, and help for it, is everywhere. Of course Game Studio isnt free, ....but you get what you pay for.

Hello,

We are testing a lot for production, the RealmForge suite based on Axiom game engine for .Net environnement.

Is there any studio here that have some experience in RealmForge ?

One of the best featured I've ever seen.

Under LGPL licence.

And seems to work on Mac (!)

RealmForge website

Thanks,

Alain

I am not sure that I understood.

Did You made game models in animation master, then export them some format readable by gamestudio?

:huh:

I knew that AM can export only in some non usable 3dgs format.

how much programming knowledge do your students have? In my college courses before they taught us the basics of DirectX programming to make our own engine we were using the torque engine. Its not free, but you can do a lot with it.

I recently discovered the CrystalSpace engine. It's opensource, free, and has some impressive features (reflectivity, normal maps, height maps with parallax!, skeletal animation, and so forth). It doesn't look like there's an A:M exporter for it, but the (plain text) model format is fairly easy to understand. Textures are UV mapped, points can be assigned to multiple bones with weighting...

And CrystalSpace is the basis for an opensource MMORPG, PlaneShift, which though it's still in its infancy (it's billed as a "pre-alpha tech demo"), is a great taste of what's possible.

I would love to be able to use A:M for CrystalSpace models and animation cycles. Right now, the main modelers used for CrystalSpace are 3DSMax and Blender. Don't have 3DSMax, but Blender really makes me appreciate how easy A:M makes things. (And how much more intuitive A:M's interface is...)

:huh:

Just a thought, you can use any engine or write your own using 3ds or dxf formats.... the ascii file formats are available, if you want to write a parser.

Or, you could write a plug in for AM.

Or, OBJ... I think there is a plugin for that as well.

This is what you would need to do for a game you wanted to sell.

else play and learn :)