Hash, Inc. Forums
Obsidian Games

Torque Game Engine DTS/DSQ Exporter News

[ I think my lack of XCode knowlege was throwing me off ]

LOL your so modest, your like an XCode God dude......

Greg,

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I'm going to be very busy the rest of this week, but I will definitely contact Jay as soon as I've had a chance to put together my OSX Torque notes.

Anytime Chris.

We have some ideas for games that could greatly benefit from the work you're doing. And what you've managed to accomplish so far has been extraordinary. Keep up the good work!

Plus, the guys at GG are pretty cool to work with as well (kinda like Hash).

Greg

triath - Well, I've only been using XCode & OSX for a few weeks, so I still have plenty to learn! :)

Greg - Thank you, and I definitely agree. The company mentality for both Hash and Garage Games does seem similar. Both put out great products, and work hard with their respective user bases to improve their product. As a customer, it's great to see.

As for the OSX exporter, things are going well. Everything seems to be exporting properly -- billboards, LoD, Detail Textures, IFL materials, 2-sided materials, etc. I've had to work around a few issues with IFL materials, but the changes I've made should actually work well on the PC side too.

Animation export works, but it crashes A:M at the end, so that's what I'm working on now. This also showed up on the PC side occasionially, so hopefully I can get that problem fixed on both platforms once and for all.

It sounds really great, keep up the work and the good news :)

Regards,

Gustavo Muñoz

Thanks for checking in Gus. I've been meaning to post on what I've been up to, but just haven't had the chance yet. I've had a lot going on this past month, but I do apologize for my lack of updates. A great job opportunity recently came up, and I switched jobs. However, my new employer requires me to get approval for all outside work that I do, including my plugin work. I've been told that my A:M work should not be an issue, but I still need to get official approval.

In any case, this should not prevent the release of the DTS plugin, only perhaps delay it a bit longer. To be safe, I have not touched my plugin code since I started at my new position. This way, if my request is denied, I can still pass on the code to someone else. Hopefully it won't come to this, but I just want to be sure. I will let everyone know as soon as I know more.

Hey Chris,

Congratulations on your new job!

I have been working with 3dgs with the help of your plugin and it is working like a charm. But soon I will be making the leap from the standard version to commercial. With this in mind I am also researching torque. Torque looks pretty nice too and its fully featured for only 100 dollars.

The main factor in my sway towards torque would rely on your dts plugin. I really hope you continue work on this. If you are continuing work on this plugin, how far along are you? can you make a rough estimate when it will be ready to sell?

I know you will do a great job because your .x plugin is so good, that is why i am waiting on you.

Thanks man

Take care.

Well after researching a bit I decided to stick with 3dgs afterall.

I'd still like to know whats going on with this plugin because who knows what the future holds.

:rolleyes:

Chris,

I'm really waiting on this thing too. I understand the need for a job. Best wishes for that.

I really hope you can finish this dts exporter, or get it to a usable state. I'm having to evaluate Gamestudio just because I don't have a clean path into Torque. And GameStuido only handles 4 players unless you shell out $900.

So, please keep us posted on your situation and help us get our models into Torque.

Thanks so much for all your work so far.

John

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your patience. Trust me, I hope this gets resolved soon just as much as you do. :) As soon as I know anything, I will let you know.

As for being free or not, assuming I can continue my work on the exporter, I will need to talk to the Garage Games team about any possible licensing issues with plugins. Depending on how that goes, I will know better if I will charge for the DTS exporter or if it will be free.

Depending on how that goes, I will know better if I will charge for the DTS exporter or if it will be free.

My problem is rather that I don't know if AM meets my demands. If I knew it did (which I can't say because there is no trial) I'd be happy to pay for such a fine plugin, if it gives a straight art pipeline into Torque.

Frankly, I am surprised why people who shelled out 300 bucks for AM wouldn't pay somthing like 20 for the plugin ... *raising eyebrow* ?

I'll be waiting in the wings.

My problem is rather that I don't know if AM meets my demands. If I knew it did (which I can't say because there is no trial) I'd be happy to pay for such a fine plugin, if it gives a straight art pipeline into Torque.

This is OT to this thread, but you can buy AM, and if within 30 days you're dissatisfied, you can return it for a full refund. Just a thought...

I agree with Dirkk, I've never been sorry I paid for the .x plugin I bought. The time spent on something like this deserves some compensation. If it's as good as his .x exporter it will be well worth it!

This is OT to this thread, but you can buy AM, and if within 30 days you're dissatisfied, you can return it for a full refund. Just a thought...

No, not in Germany you can't; I asked the distributor.

Well, I would pay for plugins, but with all the random modeling for game types I do I would be looking at a couple hundred dollars of plugins.

Dang, I hope you can continue. Please don't make me switch back to 3ds Max. :P I'm surprised you don't charge $100 for your plugins. Most plugins for other modelers are up in the $500-1500 range. I'm not saying crank up that price, I'm just willing to pay $100 for that DTS/DSQ plugin. If you do continue will you support the Shader Engine too? :) That's what I'm waiting for before I go out and buy the commercial Torque (with Shader) Engine.

The only thing Animation Master lacks is the Import and Export features. If we could get full support of Zbrush, DirectX, and the Torque Engine AM would be even more amazing than it is now. :o

Say Chrs I've got a project file floating around that has an assortment of models with naming coventions used to match the bones in the original torque model. There's also models with torque specific entities included as nulls and what not.

If this would be helpful to you let me know.

I've been monkey'ing around in torque for few years now and would be thrilled to see a direct pipeline from hash. hopeyour able to continue with it.

Have you seen their new TSE engine?

It would definitely be a help to have the default Torque skeleton available for A:M users. I'm still waiting to hear about whether or not I can continue work on this, so please hold off on emailing to me. If you can find it the project file though, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it down the road.

And yes, the TSE engine does look pretty amazing, though I haven't had a chance to use it. Assuming I can continue working on the exporter, I would certainly try to make sure it stays compatible with any TSE changes to the DTS/DSQ format.

What news are you waiting for (and from Garage Games)?

If it's them, I can help push things along for you (we have a really good relationship with them).

We're starting pre-production on our next game, all Hash models and TSE. Your plug-in would be awesome to have.

Greg

edit: Just looked back in the forums. I see your dilemna. So, no reason you can't do this as freelance or contract work as long as you're not doing it on company time or on their gear. Our current engine we use was developed by our lead programmer at home on his stuff, and he's free to work on it all he wants since it is not tied to his day job in any way. We hired him on a contract basis, and anything he makes outside of work either belongs to him, or us (that falls under the contract).

Your day job can't control in any way what you do on your own time...

Think of it this way. The Knoll brothers made Photoshop, but were working (and still are) for ILM. And George doesn't own Photoshop. Any work you do at home on your time that can have a positive effect on projects you do for your job (since they aren't having to pay for that R&D), amkes employers pretty happy.

fafnir312 - So far, so good, but I'm still waiting to hear the final decision. As soon as I know, I will let everyone know.

Greg - Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated than that, and I do actually have to get approval. If there were any way that I could have released the plugin before now, I would have. Believe me, I want to get it out there more than anyone. I hate that it's just sitting on my hard drive unused, but I need to be sure before I continue. If and when the time comes though, I appreciate your offer to help out with Garage Games.

Thanks again to everyone for their patience. Hopefully I will have some good news in the near future.