Hash, Inc. Forums

cup of coffee

seven

I am trying to rig a coffeecup using the 2001 rig.

What to do next?

Scaling the arms?

Or scaling the blue bone - Back2 - between the arms?

Or what?

I want to have the neck somewhere on the lower half of the coffeecup between the mouth and arms.

Thanks for some advice!

:D

post-43-1113214612.jpg

Well I would scale the whole skeleton in the x axis first, then scale the indiviual sections next.

Why are the 2 nulls that are around his knees so far apart and not lined up with his legs?

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Well I would scale the whole skeleton in the x axis first, then scale the indiviual sections next.

Choosing the Root Bone and then advanced scale in the X-axis first?

Or what bone-s to choose to scale in x-axis?

:unsure:

Why are the 2 nulls that are around his knees so far apart and not lined up with his legs?

I have just tried to follow Exercise 13: "Show Some Backbone"

Using the advanced scale manipulator on the Root Bone to get the Hips Node in place.

And then advanced scaled the Back Bone to get the Head Bone in place.

That is all so far.

:blink:

And just a question why is the 2001 rig on the CD not symmetrical?

The Right Arm Steady and The Left Arm Steady are in different places! See the image.

What to do? Just moving them a bit? And where?

post-43-1113243046.jpg

I have just tried to follow Exercise 13: "Show Some Backbone"

The Backbone tutorial is pretty good, but in this respect not complete. It makes animating easier if your knee nulls are in line with the legs (trial and error taught me that). It doesn't help that the rig more or less fits the proportions of Thom to start with, so in the tutorial there's no need to move the nulls.

And just a question why is the 2001 rig on the CD not symmetrical?

The Right Arm Steady and The Left Arm Steady are in different places! See the image.

What to do? Just moving them a bit? And where?

Probably sloppy construction. Move them where you like, and if you need them symmetrical, place them so. Don't forget to make sure the hinge bones start and end in the right places.

Probably sloppy construction. Move them where you like, and if you need them symmetrical, place them so. Don't forget to make sure the hinge bones start and end in the right places.

Thanks! :D

I will have a try.

Sloppy construction! Can you download a A:M 2001 rig that is functioning? A rig that is symmetrical - and have all the bones in their right places!

And the arms - do I have to put more CP:s in them - or why are they turning out so bad?

Some help Please!

I can not understand this. The A:M 2001 rig from the CD is not symmetrical!

What to do - adjust it in some way or try to find a correct rig?

The problem:

Right Arm Steady is hiding behind Right Bicep

Left Arm Steady you can see between Back2 and Left Shoulder

I believe something must be wrong here!

And Steady Head and Spine and Steady Arms are they on their right places?

And what bones to show and not then assigning CP:s?

post-43-1113267312.jpg

The A:M 2001 rig from the CD is not symmetrical!

The problem:

Right Arm Steady is hiding behind Right Bicep

Left Arm Steady you can see between Back2 and Left Shoulder.

What to do - adjust it in some way or try to find a correct rig?

Hoping to get some advice on what to do with the rig. Please!

No answer on that but I had a look on other 2001 rigged models showing that all 2001 rigs are asymetrical. Why?

With Steady Head and Spine and Steady Arms somewhere outside the body. Why?

I succeded to rig the coffee cup man to some percents.

But smartskinning the elbows I have not done.

My question is which bone to use when smartskinning the elbows?

I have to use the Bicep bone? The Elbow bone? or The Forearm bone?

I have not assigned any CPs to the Elbow bone - perhaps that is incorrect?

:blink:

And what to do with the fingers? There are four bones but just three fingers. Can I delete one finger bone? And do I have to go through all the fingerbones assigning CPs?

post-43-1113349461.jpg

Eight seconds of walking and can-can! And it gives some problems!

The feet are going through the trousers! Can I smartskin the trousers? Using which bone? Several bones?

The toes are dipping through the surface of the table! What to do? Making the Toe Bone longer?

The hands are turning 180 degrees sometimes! The thumbs changes direction suddenly! Why? What to do?

The cup gets lot of creases! That problem I can perhaps solve myself! Not trying to let the Neck Bone influence the CPs in the cup.

And how to smartskin the elbows? Which bone to use?

And perhaps assigning CPs to the Elbow bone?

I hope someone can give some answers to my questions, thanks!

cuptest03.mov

I'm no expert on rigging and I don't play one on television. I did just finish rigging a character starting with the 2001 Rig. One very helpful web page was this:

http://www.eggington.net/hash/2001RigDocs/intro.html

It explains some of the constraints and also how the finger bones work. It also gives you a little more thorough description of how to set up the rig to your character.

A second place to find information on applying the rig to a character is:

http://www.3dartz.com

Go to the freebie section and read the chapter on applying the rig. It explains the hinge bones very well.

As far as the elbow goes, I recommend you get to know the concept of fan bones. An excellent resource for understanding the fan bone is here:

http://www.sonofpat.com/Tutorials.html

I have used fan bones on a cartoony type character and love the result and I don't use smartskin. It may even be a good idea to put them on your shoulder.

Concerning fingers. If you don't use them all, you can delete the ones you don't use or just ignore them. As long as they don't have mesh, they won't affect anything. Get to understand how they work though. Once you've got them set up they are quite slick.

After you apply the rig and apply an action, some times you have to tweak things slightly to get the desired results. If the toes need adjusting, go ahead an tweak them. Same for the feet on the can can.

Creasing during animation may be a modeling problem. It might be too much mesh or not enough. You have to evaluate it on a case by case baisis.

Good luck and stick with it, your character is cute.

Scott

Trying to do something to the elbows I run into problems.

I wanted to use the Elbow Bone as a fan bone

so I made a new Pose to the model - cup03.

But the Elbow bone does not turn up in the Pose window! Why?

What to do? Someone - please - a little help!

post-43-1113407223.jpg

Dude, you can't use a bone that is in the set up for a reason as a bone to do something else because it has data and information associated with it already.

In one of the activating poses it has "hidden" information associated with it.

I don't know which off hand.

I think you should build the rig from scratch and expect to spend at least a few days learning the set up.

I have a pdf on my site that talk about installing arms and legs of an IK rig if you're interested.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Dude, you can't use a bone that is in the set up for a reason as a bone to do something else because it has data and information associated with it already.

In one of the activating poses it has "hidden" information associated with it.

I don't know which off hand.

How can I know which bones have hidden information?

And what are your suggestion for the elbows? Smartskinning? And I have to use the Forearms for smartskinning?

I think you should build the rig from scratch and expect to spend at least a few days learning the set up.

I have a pdf on my site that talk about installing arms and legs of an IK rig if you're interested.

I have had a look on the CogRig.pdf - believing that is the one?

But really I do not understand it. Why do I have to add three bones according to figure 68? The bones are there already to find in the 2001 rig! So why?

Do I have to delete the bones first? And how to make a null? And why make a null?

And you are telling me to do step2 - Aim@D and Euler limits - I do not understand - that is Chinese to me!

I thought it would be easy to use the 2001 rig after taking part of Exercise 13: "Show Some Backbone". And this video tutorial tells me to use Smatskinning like in Exercise 9: "Flower Power".

So I have to try smartskinning the elbows and trousers? Using some bones - childbones? and can I use several bones smartskinning the trousers. I do not really understand this - as you perhaps have figured out.

A great idea or just a dumb one? Can I make new Elbow Bones myself calling them something nice and place them in the chain - perhaps below the biceps? And use my new Elbow bones as Fan Bones?

And just a question - if I want to insert some bones in the spoone - can I do it? And it will function? Perhaps placing the spoone bones under the Back Bone?

And there are more questions! What to believe in? CP weights - Fan Bones or Smart skinning?

Hopefully I will get some answer on my questions!

But waiting on answers explaining how to rig

I made a try myself.

I made a new Bone and called it Left Elbow Fan and placed it under the Left Bicep in the IK chain. And assigned some CPs to it.

Made a Pose and made an Orient Like comstraint to the Forearm

for the Elbow Fan Bone.

And I think it turned out nice!

What do you think?

Do you have some suggestions to alter it?

post-43-1113427130.jpg

Are his trousers modeled as a separate piece or as part of the leg. If they are a separate piece, then you may want to have the mesh of the trousers controlled by the calf bone. If they are part of the leg, then definitely control with the calf bone.

For this character, I don't see any reason to use cloth. It is probably overkill. Unless there is a compelling reason for the trousers to be very realistic or removable (please say no), I would just model his legs as if the tousers were his legs.

Scott

PS: Good job figuring out the elbow. Keep in mind that the 2001 rig is a starting point and that modifying it is not a problem. The easiest way to modify it confidently is to understand it. The Cogrig tutorial was meant to explain what the hinge bones do and how they are constrained, not to imply adding more bones, just how to use the ones that are there. Use that turorial to make sure you have properly placed the hinge bone starting and ending places and also to get your hand and feet targets in the right place.

Are his trousers modeled as a separate piece or as part of the leg.

For this character, I don't see any reason to use cloth. I

Keep in mind that the 2001 rig is a starting point and that modifying it is not a problem. The easiest way to modify it confidently is to understand it.

The Cogrig tutorial was meant to explain what the hinge bones do and how they are constrained

Use that turorial to make sure you have properly placed the hinge bone starting and ending places and also to get your hand and feet targets in the right place.

Thanks a lot answering!

The trousers are separete - no leg - the trousers and shoes I have borrowed from the Fat Guy model!

They are attached to the calf bones. That is the problem! The shoes going through them. Perhaps better attach the bottom part of trousers to the Toe Bones?

Or making Smart Skinning of the trousers and the Toe Bones. But I can not get that to function in the Action Window after having made Smart Skinning.

I have also tried to Smart Skin the trousers to the calf bones. The problem you can not see the calf bones in the Smart Skin window. How to get them to appear?

Perhaps I can insert Fan Bones to make the trousers behave?

CP Weights I have not tested. Do you know any good tutorial on CP Weights?

I believe I have placed the hinge bones OK folowing the Exercise.

But hand and feet targets what do you mean by that?

And how to fix the hands? The hands having just four fingers I can delete one bone I have understood. But then I have to attach CPs to every one of the bones in the hand? Can I Auto Attach CP:s only to the hands hiding the rest?

And there are some more questions - null bones - what for and how to make them?

And the hands are turning 180 degrees in a walking act - the thumbs changing direction suddenly - what to do to that?

Thanks again - Fishman - for your answer!

I'm sticking with you.

As far as the trousers go, maybe the best thing is take your cues from the Fat Guy model. How are they rigged there and how does it work? If they work there they ought to work for you.

I don't really know anything about Smart Skinning, never used it. I tend toward cartoon style requiring less realism. Like your elbow - that kind of deformation is fine by me.

I know Vern has put ARM (AM Resource Matrix) - back in action. Check it out as it has tons of tutorials and resources. Maybe you can find a CP weight tutorial there. (I'm using version 10.5, which only has rudimentary CP weights)

There is a Tech Talk video available on CP weights (http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13249) It is a big file, but very informative. You can download it or watch it stream.

Hand and Feet targets are in the rig. You'll find them in the PWS under bones. Essentially the are nulls (there's that word again) that the hinge bone is constrained to. You move the targets and the hinge bone follows it, controlling the whole arm or leg chain. One thing to remember is when you put the rig in an action or choreography, if you want to use the hand targets, you must turn IK arms on. The legs are IK by default.

Unfortunately you must add the mesh to each of the individual finger bones. Auto Assign is unlikely to get them right. THey aren't really too hard. Make sure you understand how the finger rig works before you assign the cp's.

Can't help you in the flipping of the hands yet. Suggest you get the hands and fingers rigged correctly first, turn on IK arms and then step through the action a frame at a time to see if you can tell when it occurs and what causes it.

Scott

Bonus reply, not a double post.

I was looking at your elbow picture again and I noticed that the bones in your rig aren't in the center of your mesh and your fingers were not centered in each finger. You need to move the bones to the middle of the mesh for the rig to work best. Also, go into your PWS and make sure that all the bones are visible. There are individual bones for each portion of the fingers. The main finger bones are control bones, not mesh bones. I know it is confusing, took me a long while to understand how the finger rig worked. Once I understood it was easier to assign the mesh to the bone. Study the link to the 2001 Eggington Rig that I sent you before. The finger section is good. Unfortunately it uses slightly different bone names, but once you figure out what each of the bones are refering to, you'll get it.

Scott

Thanks again Fishman!

Makes me glad having someone answering. Hope I can help you sometime!

Perhaps this can give a little help:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13731

It is about WINK a free program to make tutorials with - screen capturing - just press the Pause Key to capture - and then no more capturing some small texts to explain - and you can output it as Flash not so many bytes.

Really fast and easy going - making something others can understand.

Here is the zip-file with my tutorial on Smart Skinning.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=A...e=post&id=98840

Perhaps you will get inspirered doing your own tutorial on something.

I searched on Lowresty - the ARM - tutorial site. I serched on CP - to find out something about CP weights - not much - nothing - I searched on weight and weights - nothing.

The best link I believe is to Sonofpat http://free.hostdepartment.com/s/sonofpat/Hips.html

But I do not really understand what he is trying to do - more fan bones? making his own rig - why? - a standard is better - so you can communicate - change actions.

3dartz - I do not understand it - cog rigs - I have searched on it - Googled - but really what is the thing - I believe he - the master here - is doing something good - but I cannot get it.

Eggington using the 2001 rig but using other names on the bones?

Anzovin - and the machine - have not seen any images from the machine - really not knowing what it does.

I will have a look on the tech talk.

And thanks for the advices on the bones. But how to figure out what is Control bones and Mesh bones - I will have a look on Eggington - but I think it is something wrong then everyone has to figure out this for themselves.

Perhaps I will make a WINK tutorial on the hands then I have understood them.

Or you can do one! :P Well it is rather easy to work with WINK - not so many hours to do something understandable - perhaps half an hour...

You know I have never meet such a good and easy program as WINK - I am so impressed so I have not got words for it!

Turning IK arms on I have to Search for too!

Sure I am longing for a little more WINK on the forums. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately for you I am busy in the evenings for the next several nights with kid's school activities or I might take a shot at making a WINK for the finger mesh control. I will try to sit down tonight to make a list of the bones in the 2001 rig that use mesh and the ones that are control bones. I think I know that pretty well and can base it off a character I rigged recently.

Until then you might look at a character such as Eddie or Fat Guy and see which ones hold mesh. The easiest way to do that is open the character and then go to bones mode. Click on a point of the mesh. This will cause the bone it resides on to light up and all the other mesh points that lie on that bone to start blinking.

The Sonofpat rig is is own design. Some people like to make their own rigs. I believe (but am not completely certain) that as long as the bone names are the same as the 2001 Rig that the actions will work with it. As long as you add bones to the rig and they are children of existing bones, they probably won't interfere with the actions. Keep in mind the the 2001 rig is a basic rig for a character with two arms and two legs. It is not meant to cover all situations. This is why people end up adding fan bones, etc. They are meant to adapt the rig to the geometry.

Rigging is one of the concepts in computer animation that is the most difficult to learn. Once you understand it you will find it a powerful tool. if you are trying to understand a rig concept that is new to you, sometimes the best thing to do is to rig a simple cylinder and see the effects. The simple geopmetry helps you to understand what is happening, it is quick to rig and will render well in real time. Your understanding of the fan bone concept is key, so take heart in that.

Hang in there.

Scott

PS: I did check out WINK and it is excellent.

PPS: Where are you located, so I have an idea of whether you are ahead or behind me in time. This will give me an idea of when you'll be on-line and working and may need help.

I am East Coast US.

Thanks again for taking your time!

I have been looking through the tutorials:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13249

So now I am going for something little more extrem - perhaps some Hunter model

with a little programing...

Some MegaBytes to download those tutorials! Well Camtasia with sound is good... but sometimes WINK with only text will do it!

PS: I did check out WINK and it is excellent.

Nice that you liked the program. It is excellent but missing a little - no arrows to show what you are writing about. And you can only have one text on each picture. And the mouse pointer a bit slow.... But, it is FREE and I believe you understands the explanations and it is FASTER than listening to the Camtasia explanations with some hundred MegaBytes to download.

I have an idea of whether you are ahead or behind me in time.

I am supposed to wake up earlier than you - but I am not a man of the clock and not of the sun - so you never know.

I will try to sit down tonight to make a list of the bones in the 2001 rig that use mesh and the ones that are control bones.

Thanks a lot but do not be in hurry... take your time... a week will do....

Here are the problems with the coffee cup man!

Three of them:

The trousers not behaving!

I have tried to attach the trouser CP:s to the toes - and doing smartskinning on the toes. But it will not work!

The feet are going through the surface of the table in the Can-Can Action!

What to do?

The hands are turning 180 degrees sometimes!

Why?

Hope on some help!

cuptest04cancan.mov

For number 2, fix it!

The way to fix it is that you have to edit the action that you applied to your character. Go through it key frame by key frame and adjust the position or angle of your feet so that they don't go through the table top. The library actions do not know how long your character's feet are, so some times there are instances where yu have to tweak things.

I suspect the same thing happens on your hands. It looks like when the elbow locks that the hand gets confused and flips. To fix this, on the key fram where the elbow seems to lock, have it be bent slightly, don't let the arm go straight.

As to the feet and the trousers, can't help you much except to say that perhaps it is also a problem of adjusting the action, although I suspect it is more related to the positioning of your rig in the mesh. Did you ever center the rig inside your arm mesh? What about the legs and feet?

Scott

Seven,

I've been following this thread, then saw your excellent SmartSkin and Fan Bone tutorials, thanks so much for those, I thought they were great! So now I'm curious, did either SmartSkins or the use of Fan Bones help you at all with your Coffee Cup model? How did that all work out?

-Jim

I have adjusted the skeleton in the arms - centering it.

But then a new "muscle" on the underarm have popped up!

I have also gone trough the CanCan.act adjusting the shoes - the Toe Bones so now the feet are not going through the surface of the table that much.

I have tried to adjust the hand targets - to get rid of that 180 degrees turn of the hand - but the hand targets will not let me adjust the hands!

The trousers will not fit still - I have tried to use Smart Skinning the trousers to the Toe Bones - but it will not function...

Another problem is the coffeecup behaving a bit strange. All the CPs in the cup are connected to the Head Bone so why those creases around the shoulders?

I thought they were great!

And thanks jpappas for appreciating my tutorials - have a try yourself and let us see what you have done!

And your question about the fan bones - I have inserted a fan bone in the elbows - you can see it in the image of this post:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...indpost&p=98673

cuptest05newcancan.mov

OK, here goes. I took a look at your project file and learned several things.

1) You started with the Fat Guy for arms and legs. The Fat Guy is modeled with his arms at his side and with a slight curl in his hand. Also, the Fat Guy Rig is not the 2001 rig (no arm hinge, etc).

2) To apply the 2001 rig the best thing to do is to have the arms straight out from the side and the hands and fingers straight. To do this you need to modify this in model mode. I think you did that to a certain extent, but you didn't straighten out the hand and fingers. Also, you didn't put the hand bone and fingers inside the mesh for the hand and fingers.

3) You probably applied smart skin too early. Smart skin should be the last thing that you do. Only after you have the rig applied and fully functional. Smart skin will fixed up creasing and stuff like that but will not fix rigging problems.

4) I think that the bottom ring of the trousers should be modeled to the foot bone.

I am attaching a simplified version of your project. I took you basic model and applied the 2001 rig to the right arms and legs. I did not do the left arm and legs. I deleted everything else. I also deleted the balance poses and the bones associated with them. Almost no one use the balance poses. It just complicates the rig and adds little benefit. This will greatly simplify everything. I left an action in the project file showing arm movement, leg movement, hand movement and hand clenching. Notice that when the foot bends the shoe doesn't go through the trousers.

I recommend that you look carefully at what I did. I used the method from the Show Some Backbone tutorial. Follow this extremely carefully. Pay close attention to using the advanced manipulators to translate and scale bones. Get everything positioned correctly before applying mesh to your bones. Use what I did on the right arm and leg as a guide. Carefully study which bones I applied mesh to for the fingers and the hand. You can add in your fan bones for the elbow to improve it.

To realy complicate things I modified the mesh on the inside of the elbow and the back of the knee. I deleted a couple of splines and added some hooks to make the joints bend with less creasing. This will greatly reduce the amount of smart skinning you need to do. Compare the right elbow and knee to the left to see what I've done. I think that with your fan bone and the new mesh arrangement you may not even need smart skinning.

Your character is very riggable, just go back to the basics.

Scott

cupSRT.zip

To deselect a CP from a bone, select the root bone and attach the CP to the root bone. That should make it go black. Then you can reassign it to another bone.

As far as what I did, read the earlier post for some detail. Mostly what I did was remove all the stuff you had done, dragged on a new skeleton and started from scratch. I also made some slight modifications to the mesh (straightened the hand and simplified the knee and elbow mesh on the right leg and right arm).

See if you can do the same for the left arm and leg and the head.

I think I also made some slight mods to the mesh of the cup, you seemed to have a few too many splines and thought that might be causing creasing.

Scott

See if you can do the same for the left arm and leg and the head.

I did not do the left side.

I did instead the right side - trying to follow what you have done.

Hope I got most of it.

Looking much better now - I think.

So thanks!

A question - on the models arm I have got some coordinate axes - when selecting one of the groups - what is that? Some local coordinates?

Another question - the right hand clench functions in the Action Window -

but how to get it function in the Choreography Window?

post-43-1113780457.jpg

The hand clench is a pose slider. Go under View and click pose sliders. You can animate it same as anything else. 0% is wide open and 100% is fully closed. I'd be careful about closing it too far, as your model's finger tips will distort severly when you get over 80%. If you are going to be doing close ups of the hands you may want better hands, but if they will not be the focus of anything, then I'd leave it alone.

You can adjust the curl of individual finger bones by moving the rol handle on the individual finger control bones (not the mesh bones).

The axes you are see are the pivot point for the group you have selected. It is the center for rotations. You can move it if you need to, but I'm guessing you won't need to.

Keep at it it looks good. I'm off to bed so I won't be able to check your project file. If you are happy with the right side go through it on the left side. it may seem repetitious, but it is good practice.

Scott

I belive that I have done the same thing to the left side as the right.

But then I have a look in the Actions1 with IK ON - something strange have happened!

Hope on some more help! Thanks in advance!

I am unable to look at your project file (don't have A:M here at work), but your picture tells me nothing. What is the problem that you are having? Without details I won't know where to start looking.

I will hazard a guess however. Make sure that you have positioned the hinge bone correctly in both the arms and legs. Other than that I will await your description of the problem.

Scott

I had a new look - the coffee cup man seems OK to me!

There is some rigging left the mouth, eyes and the spoon.

And perhaps doing some WINK tutorial on the hand rigging.

So thank you very much... with some little coffee cup cancan-animation....

I hope to do som lip-synced CoffeeCupCanCan!

Here some inspiration for my CoffeCupMan:

http://cocoajava.com/java_trivia.html

The word "coffee" was at one time a term for wine, but was later used to describe a black drink made from berries of the coffee tree. This black drink replaced wine in many religious ceremonies because it kept the Mohammedans awake and alert during their nightly prayers, so they honored it with the name they had originally given to wine.

Until the tenth century, coffee was considered a food. Ethiopian tribesmen would mix the coffee berries with animal fat, roll them into balls, and eat them on their nomadic journeys!

In the old days in Constantinople, the first coffeehouses were called qahveh khaneh (schools of wisdom) because they were the meeting places of men of arts and literature.

It was in 1530 that the first coffeehouse was opened in Damascus, Syria. Istanbul, Turkey opened its first coffeehouse in 1554. Mr. Jacobs opened England's first coffee house in Oxford in 1650. Dorothy Jones of Boston was the first American coffee trader. It was in 1670 that she was granted a license to sell coffee. Coffee was brought into Costa Rica from Cuba by a Spanish traveller, Navarro, in 1779. Hence it is not their native plant.

coffeecupcancan01.mov

It looks like you've come a long way. Your can-can needs some clean up and add some arm action, but it looks functional.

I'm glad I could help. It is funny that I am helping you because I personally can't stand coffee! But I did like your character! Have fun with him.

Scott

Your can-can needs some clean up and add some arm action, but it looks functional.

The clean up?

Is it possible to get rid of the creases in the cup? Or I have to do a new mouth not attaching it to the cup?

Arm action!

The Arm Action is gone! In the Can-Can Act the arms are bending. And they have been bending earlier but now the bending is gone? Can you have a look at it?

You do not drink coffee? Cola?

post-43-1113850522.jpg

Ok, got this one figured out.

I compared your figure to Shaggy and in bones mode I noticed that the hand targets for Shaggy were close to his hips, while the hand targets for your character were farther afield and close to the ground. You need to move the hand targets to a similar position to the Shaggy character. Doing this will give a better starting point for the arm action. Adjusting the starting point will affect the arm action.

Scott

You made the arms function! Thanks!

I would never have figured that out myself.

Well some problems left...

The coffe is not pouring out... It has not got any feel for the gravity.

Perhaps putting in some fan bones in the coffee? Or perhaps coffee beans?

Or Smart Skinning the coffee?

Or Some Muscles in it?

Or some liquid coffee cloth?

Thanks again!

coffeecupcancanthanks.mov

Now your talking blobbies or particles or the like. Way out of my league.

Try the Animation:Master Resource Matrix to see if anyone has done liquid pouring out.

Glad I could help with the rigging.

Good Luck,

Scott

A:M Resource Matrix no liquid to be found.

A:M Forums some about bloobies - but bloobies in the coffee - that is not my cup of coffee. I believe in cloth - http://dinocarl.com/epistemology/story.php?id=2

And there is new cloth in A:M and cloth is coming - but it is advanced - I believe - not just drag and drop...

Well perhaps still needing some help rigging the eyes - the mouth - if I got time for this.

If there had been a WINK tutorial on rigging - so much easier - explaining the hands rigging and the hand targets - and the elbow...