Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Name:  Den Dotson

Exercises Completed:  Sixteen

Date Completed:  Wednesday April 6, 2005

Instructor:  Rodney (where there is smoke there is fire) and that guy on the web tutorials kinda gettin used to the new web guy

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: No comments.

Here is a link to the 16th completed exercise with the night strutting his dusty stuff (dust cranked up to show on web):

Thanks Rodney,

-Den

No link to Smoke, Fire exercise so here it is....

I downloaded this big file only to find out my Quicktime player doesn't suport the compression. Can you tell me what one I need?

• Admin
I downloaded this big file only to find out my Quicktime player doesn't suport the compression. Can you tell me what one I need?

From what I can tell the file is in 'Animation' format for Quicktime.

No special codecs required.

Perhaps you are looking at a different file though because the file looks pretty small to me (148KB).

From what I can tell the file is in 'Animation' format for Quicktime.

No special codecs required.

Perhaps you are looking at a different file though because the file looks pretty small to me (148KB).

This is the file:

Shaun Freeman has an excellent tutorial on particle fire and smoke. You can see it via the Hash Inc FTP. Warning! This file is 175MB!

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/misc/sprites_tute/

I downloaded it twice just to make sure it didn't work :D (I was just getting audio no video)

I got most of it to work using this codec:

http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/download.html

and then I transferred Xiphqt.qtx into the specified quicktime program folder.

Someone suggested the One2 (?) codec, but that didn't work for me.

But the sound went really horrible between 20-30mins, so it probably isn't the right one still.

The quality is really bad, also, with lots of pixellation, so someone may have a better codec to use with it.

I downloaded it twice just to make sure it didn't work :D (I was just getting audio no video)

I got most of it to work using this codec:

http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/download.html

and then I transferred Xiphqt.qtx into the specified quicktime program folder.

Someone suggested the One2 (?) codec, but that didn't work for me.

But the sound went really horrible between 20-30mins, so it probably isn't the right one still.

The quality is really bad, also, with lots of pixellation, so someone may have a better codec to use with it.

I download this and had video:

http://www.vp3.com/vp3/quicktime/software/index.shtml

Thanks for the info. By looking at the file infomation on the MOV file it display what type of video it was. That led me to the On2VP3

I also had some sound braking up on a PC that runs at 1.7g clock speed. After moving the file over to a faster PC running at 2.7g there wasn't any sound problems, but still had artifacts in the video. I think that was from the recording side and not playing the video.

I also had some sound braking up on a PC that runs at 1.7g clock speed. After moving the file over to a faster PC running at 2.7g there wasn't any sound problems, but still had artifacts in the video. I think that was from the recording side and not playing the video.

That's interesting - I uninstalled that codec I mentioned and reinstalled the On2 and it still worked. But my sound is very bad between 20-30mins, and the video is off too. I have a fast computer, and I'm going to reformat soon and see what happens. (Either that or I will lose everything in hyperdarkness.)

Name: Al Dinelt

Exercise Completed: Exercise 16: Smoke, Wind and Fire (Particle Sprites)

Date Completed: December 10, 2006

Instructor: TAoA:M

Played around a bit with this one. Added a layer with a campfire scene and the rabbit sitting around enjoying the fire.

Thanks...

Al

[attachmentid=23050]

exercise_16a.mov

Great job Al. I like how you composed a scene out of the exercise. My only crit would be that Rabbit's ears seem to speed up at the end. They have a nice fall to them throughout and right before the end they speed up.

Keep up the great work

Leo

Thanks Leo.

That effect was supposed to be like when you get into a hot bath tub. You start out slowly until you hit that certain point, then you go "Ahhhhh!" and totally relax.

The ears slowly drooping is the slipping into the hot bath tub part. Then when they droop quickly, that was supposed to be the "Ahhhhh!" part. It isn't too noticeable, but the rabbit also slowly gets a smile on his face.

Guess it didn't quite work out like that. :D

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Caroline Begbie

Exercise: Exercise 16 - Smoke, Wind and Fire

Date Completed: 1st January 2007

New Year's Resolution - Be more Results Oriented. That way I may get through TaoAM before 2008.

Every chapter I think "This is the most fun", then I get to the next chapter. Particles is definitely The Mostest Fun. :lol:

Exercise16.mov

• Admin

HOLY SNIKKIES! :blink:

You scared me.

Very nice take on this one... yours is definitely a first.

Storytelling in action.

Every chapter I think "This is the most fun", then I get to the next chapter. Particles is definitely The Mostest Fun.

I can tell! (From your other posts on particles sprites too) :)

The worst thing about completing TaoA:M... everyone moves on to bigger and better things.

*SNIFF*

See you in 2007! (You may be there already but I've got one hour to go)

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Joseph Gamblin (Achilles Desire)

Exercise Completed: Exercise 16

Date Completed: January 22, 2007

Instructor: None / Just the book

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: Sorry for the low quality video, but I had to compress the heck out of it to get it to fit. Or maybe I didn't. The forum now says that the upload size is 8MB? I though it was 2 like a month ago. Anyhoo, this was a fun one and I WILL be using particles in the future.

Too_Many_Peppers.mov

Name: Michael Fortunato

Exercise Completed: Exercise 16

Date Completed: January 28, 2007

Instructor: Das Book

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: It takes forever for my laptop to render particles. I wanted to do more with my scene, but I became impatient. I definitely want to play with the particle effects more. While I followed the book, I don't yet have a good understanding of how the settings effect the particles. Plus I want to experiment with using other images for the sprites :). Guess I will have to start using my main PC for these exercises so I don't have to wait so long for the render.

Now I feel like bowling.....

- Michael

Ex16_Smokin.mov

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Jeremiah M. Faries

Exercise Completed: #16: Smoke, Wind and Fire

Date Completed: Feb 12, 2007

Remarks: Another useful feature from A:M! I only used the book on this one. I notice horizontal lines where the particles leave the emitter model at the ground. I tried repositioning and a few other things to get rid of them but with render times so high my experimentation was limited. This wasn't the best result but I swear I was seeing "smoke wind and fire" come out the back of my computer from all the particle computations on my old machine :rolleyes: So here is, for me, the penultimate ( I've already completed 17,18,and 19) TaoA:M exercise.

See... Rabbit doesn't always cause trouble... he can be a real hero sometimes :)

exercise_16_rescue_me_2.mov

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Caleb Gunby

Excersise Completed: Ex. 16- Smoke, Wind and Fire

Date completed: March 6, 2007

Comments... well i have finished all the tutorials of the original TOA:AM

i need to know i am 100% true though... i have all done on my computer....

If i need to finish the Face one and the Hairy one i will do those also

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/ret...urrent=Ex16.flv

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Ralf Kampp

Date Completed: March 23, 2007

Remarks: I found it impressive how realistic these sprites can simulate fire! Unfortunately I could not find out how I could animate the fire's intensity in the action or choreo to slowly start and extinguish it (parameter "life" or "size" of the sprite system somehow could not be animated). Maybe someone has a tip for me?

By the way ... it's with some simple sound.

Fire_dancer_final.mov

• Admin

Hey that was nice. Reminded me of the "Mind's Eye" videos from the dawn of computer animation.

Way too short though!!!

(parameter "life" or "size" of the sprite system somehow could not be animated).

Thats strange. Maybe you weren't in Animate mode or you were on frame zero?

Those parameters are definitely animatable.

Ouch - they do that at my daughter's school, and it always worries me!

Tips - have you done the manual exercise exactly as is, just to check how it should be done? Because as Rodney says it should work.

It didn't show up as a lack in this great movie though.

Name: Big E

Date Completed: March 24, 2007

Comments: This is the 3rd attempt at it tonight, An the same issue happens. It asks me to go into the choreography window an select the force an so on. Every time i tried it. It wouldnt let me do the steps. So it pretty much ends up being the same results. I dunno anymore..

Fire__.mov

That looks fine - if you ran the movie for another couple of secs, it looks like that heavy white smoke is going to sink out of the witch's cauldron. A gruesome dish.

Have you tried Help menu > Reset settings? The manual, if all steps are followed exactly, (and sometimes it's very easy to skip over some), I had no problem following.

That looks fine - if you ran the movie for another couple of secs, it looks like that heavy white smoke is going to sink out of the witch's cauldron. A gruesome dish.

Have you tried Help menu > Reset settings? The manual, if all steps are followed exactly, (and sometimes it's very easy to skip over some), I had no problem following.

I tried a few things, i reset the settings, rebooted the program, an rebooted my system. I even tried it out at 3 different points of the day. Inbetween the break i did the cosmic bowling, an the flag blowing, I came back to it for the same problem. I can understand missing a step the first or second time even. But i came to the exact problem 3 different times..

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys,

I tried completing this tutorial but alas, I need some MORE tutorial trouble shooting. I got pretty far into the this tutorial ( Note: I'm using the V13.0 tutorial. ) when it asked me to set the smoke's Opacity. Over Life to 0. But whenever I set it to 0, it shoots right back up to 100. Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jared Cohen

• 7 months later...
Whoa. Very nice Robert.

The color is a bit odd but the effect is spot on.

Note to self those settings. You may need them again some time.

Thank you. :lol:

May I ask a question?

I wanted to constrain it to Shaggy's hair and make him run around like a crazy person but could not

seem to figure out how to do that.

Any suggestions?

I am not sure but the emitter try constraining it to shaggy's hip bone with compensate Mode on if you want to make it look like his behind is on fire then when you move shaggy around the affect will follow.

Thanks! :lol:

I shall give that a shot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Admin

In the last few movies posted here there appears to be a common artifacting going on.

If you'll take note the common element of it seems to be the Alpha Channel.

In particular the artifacting seems to appear at the horizon line only.

I'll look into this but...

I think this can be addressed by simply by:

- Adding a background (make sure it covers all of the background)

or

- Turning off the Alpha Channel setting (note that you'll want to change the camera's background color if you do this)

Is there a way to make the fire and smoke bend the light to make the shadows dance?

There are several ways!

Generally it'll require you to create a new light (Klieg type)

Animate/change the direction of the light as needed

Animate/change the intensity of the light as needed