Hash, Inc. Forums

Exercise 19: Flying South

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Congrats guys!

I haven't forgotten your certificates. Its just going to take a little time to get them out.

I won't offer any excuses... just my apologies.

In the meantime definitely push on into the Bootcamp.

You'll really be glad you did as it'll really get your animation skills exercised.

As I get back to the real world I hope to work* through Bootcamp myself. :)

*Emphasis on the word 'work' here of course because it doesn't look all that easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am having trouble finding the geese that are suppose to show up in Ex 19, when I first did this exercise they showed up (when I finished I forgot to save) :(

Now I am trying to recreate this exercise and when I am instructed to drop the goose.mdl onto the "Shortcut to Birds1" the geese do not show up.

Here's a snapshop of the screen

[attachmentid=15426]

can someone please help :)

Bob Koonce

post-2243-1143322637_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Bob,

Do you have particles turned on?

Flocking uses particles to determine where the flocks will form and um... flock.

Try it. I think that'll work for you.

Added: Now that I look closer at your image I think perhaps you should open up the Project Workspace and see what that is showing.

Rodney

Rodney,

That did the trick, I turned the (Draw Particles/Hair) setting to on in the render settings under options and that worked. In the past I would tun it off when I did a final file rendering thinking that it would speed up my rendering time, I will keep that setting on from now on even though I no how to resove this issue :)

Thanks again,

Bob Koonce B)

• Admin

Great news... I may just be starting to get the hang of this troubleshooting thing. ;)

I'll add the particle options requirement as a note in the first post.

Who knows, if someone actually reads it there it might save them some frustration.

TAoA:M finale (final but only the beginning :) )

Name: Bob Koonce

Exercise Completed: 19 Flying South

Date Completed: 3-25-06

Instructors: Individuals on forum, TAoA:M, Video tutorials, and other material.

Remarks/Suggestions for improvement: Thankx everyone for all your comments and constructive criticism on the exercises that I completed, I am planning on going back and put some personal touches on some of the TAoA:M work that I did and repost. Should I post them here?

Any comments or constructive criticism will be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry for the long D/L's, the file size of some of the movies are large, I will try to reduce the size of the files that I repost.

On to Bootcamp :D

Thankx again,

Bob Koonce B)

Congratulations on finishing your cert Bob. I think you will find the Bootcamp to be alot of fun. It's full of animation lessons but you can learn alot and have a great time doing it.

Good luck with the BootCamps

Leo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nasty case of Bird-Flew???

That made me Larff!

Amazing how good that looked against the setting sun.

I would start you own bootcamp thread. Do all the exercises you can and post them all. If you havnt got one, try and get hold of a copy of the Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams - and Acting For Animators is worth a look to.

Good Luck. look forward to seeing some fun stuff

Chris

• Admin

I thought I had seen just about everything that could be done to poor ol' Thom.

I'm still in shock and stand corrected. :P

Congratulations on completing TAoA:M!

I hope to get certificates back on the press this weekend so look for yours soon.

Congrats!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Name: Al Dinelt

Exercise Completed: Exercise 19: Flying South (Flocks)

Date Completed: December 13, 2006

Instructor: TAoA:M

Ta Da!! The Final Exercise! :lol:

Wanted to take this final exercise is right out of this world!

Tried playing around with front projection so the birds would fly behind the spires and then pass in front of them. After the rendering was done, I noticed that some of the birds fly through the spires.

Al

[attachmentid=23123]

[attachmentid=23124]

flock40.jpg

exercise_19.mov

Hi Dick:

I have been playing around with live action and CG in A:M today. When I first rendered the video, the live action was coming up completely black. In order to fix it, I went to the "Shortcut to Camera1" in my chor, and expanded the "+" sign. It showed me Actions and Rotoscope1. My video was added as a Rotoscope, which is why it shows up under Camera1. In the Properties of "Rotoscope1", there was a selection for "Include in Alpha Buffer". Once I turned this "On", the video appeared in my renders.

Hope this helps with your project...

Thanks Dhar and Rodney for your comments on my exercise. I would love to have added something more otherworldly in the flock. I never even thought of looking on the Extras CD.

Thanks again...

Al

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

When I read in your post your hook... remembering how to do walk cycles... I started preparin myself for what I was about to see.

My mind raced through the possibilities.

You succeeded in surprising me. :)

Ha Ha Ha! That was cute... funny.

Nice touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Michael Fortunato

Ex: Exercise 19 - Flocking

Date Completed: Jan. 29, 2007

Instructor: Das Book

Comments: Looks like the camera man should be fired. Good thing this is a small render, anything larger would have caused people to have motion sickness ;).

I'm off to kiss a wookie.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the reason the camera and bg are a bit herky jerky is because of a glitch I was experiencing in A:M. After loading the flock of birds, the screen wouldn't refresh correctly and I couldn't get a good sense of what my camera was actually looking at. The screen would keep the previous image still displayed - so I was getting a ghosting effect. I have since corrected this error. For anyone else having the problem, switch the Real-Time render from OpenGL to DirectX (under Options, Global). This corrected the problem. I cleaned up the movie file and reattached - still need to clean up the camera and sky movement, but it's certainly better. I really like that Bloom effect :D.

- Michael

Ex.19_Flockthisway03.mov

• Admin

Michael and Joseph.

Between the two of you you've rendered this sequence out in both the down and the upshots.

I can almost see them combined together as if they were in the same movie.

At any rate... great job!

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Jeremiah M. Faries

Exercise Completed: #19: Flying Sou... er... West

Date Completed: Feb 11, 2007

Remarks: something whacked out on take one and I was getting horrendous render times. I deleted the elements in the cho one by one but that didn't seem to make a difference. I figured someone was trying to tell me I needed more practice so... you see take two. The geese and their friend decided to go to Oregon instead of flying south. They wanted to meet the guys responsible for all their fun and very existence - but they apologize for not following directions. :o I hope they get there...

exercise_19_westward_ho.mov

• Admin

Jeremiah,

That was outstanding. Nice touch there at the end.

It reminded me of my 2000 mile motorcycle trip (going west but not to Oregon) about 18 years ago.

You are quite the storyteller.

What were we talking about again?

Oh... Flocking.

Nice birds! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Name: Ralf Kampp

Exercise: Exercise 19 - Flying South

Date Completed: 24th March 2007

Remark: I had some strange effects during render. Sometimes the birds just wildly flew in different directions. Then they did not "lie into" the curve but directed all the time into the original direction. Quite weird.

flock.mov

Name: Big E

Exercise: Exercise 19 - Flying South

Date Completed: March 25, 2007

Comments: This project was fun to do, Not to fun to Rendar. 2 times now ive done the project only to have A.M close on me 1/2 way thru the rendar process.. :(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Name: Chris

Exercise: #19

Date: a week ago

Comments: I'm rather bummed about this. While, yes, I did learn a few things and ,yes, I got the animation working; trying to implement it into something of my own fell through spectacularly.

All sorts of troubles with multiple instances of a flock system in one chor, action merging and timing pulled the plug on my first attempt. The second, simpler attempt should have worked fine. It's rendering along and then AM decides to take 2 hours per frame instead of the 42 seconds it had been doing previously. :angry:

The result? I'm finished with just an unpersonalized mov for proof. {sigh}

Well, at least I finished before college. (I move in on the 7th)

flock.mov

• 1 month later...

Looks good Kevin,

It's a great idea to go back and redue all of the exercises in the book a number of times. That way all of the features stay fresh and sink in faster.

Good luck

Keith

Another nice feature of AM.

Kevin Woods

Exercise 19

10/22/07

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Name: Shane O'Sullivan

Exercise Completed: Exercise 19

Date Completed: October 1, 2008

Instructor: None / Manual and Online Video tutorial

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: yeah I'm done, I think :) now to start working on some of my own projects.

exercise19

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...