• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin
Is this what you mean?

Almost.

Moving the rotoscope even a just a little (it doesn't have to be much) would make it look like the clouds weren't frozen in place.

One of the most effective results with utmost simplicity might be to bring three cloud images in as rotoscopes and play with their position settings and transparency.

In my attempt, two of the images were placed in the background with one over the top of everything.

The one on top was almost entirely transparent but added a little hint of atmosphere in the scene.

I think this helped convey depth in the scene.

An alternate way of getting that subtle movement would be to turn/tilt/rotate the camera a little.

But... removing that ground plane. Oh yeah! Much better. :)

Is this what you mean?

Almost.

Moving the rotoscope even a just a little (it doesn't have to be much) would make it look like the clouds weren't frozen in place.

One of the most effective results with utmost simplicity might be to bring three cloud images in as rotoscopes and play with their position settings and transparency.

In my attempt, two of the images were placed in the background with one over the top of everything.

The one on top was almost entirely transparent but added a little hint of atmosphere in the scene.

I think this helped convey depth in the scene.

An alternate way of getting that subtle movement would be to turn/tilt/rotate the camera a little.

But... removing that ground plane. Oh yeah! Much better. :)

OK, now I get it.

I thought you were meaning to place the sky differently.

I'm thick sometimes.

I did another try with two sky objects moving slightly different from each other.

I think its a very windy day but I think I finally got what you were trying to teach me.

See if this is a little closer.

Ex19_3.mov

• 3 months later...

So I had a little fun with this one. Just a little. The lesson seemed so simple I had to complicate it a bit.

But I'm not going to tell you what I did to complicate matters. You have to watch the movie to find out (no spoiling!).

I felt the need to go back to some animation brushup so I created a custom action.

Thank goodness I read the threads for each lesson because I totally missed the particles thing on the first go round and couldn't figure out why my models weren't showing up until I came back for a quick reread.

The music is a little... obvious.

A couple things I noticed... This really REALLY bogs A:M down. Scrubbing doesn't work... at all. Even reducing the flock size to 12 didn't help all that much. My computer is pretty good so I don't think it's that. Just too much info coursing through the CPU I guess.

Also, some of the "flock" members get waayyyyyy too close to each other and there are a lot of pass throughs. Any way to avoid that? Actually I'm sure there are many ways to avoid that; I guess I'm asking for the best way?

Also there was a problem with the rotoscope turning itself off randomly. It would also turn itself off for the rendor but appear in the Choreography as if it were on. I've noticed this happening in other lessons as well and the solution is to just select the Rotoscope in the project workspace and turn it invisible and then visible again. If you do this just before you render your chances of actually getting your rotoscope into the final render improve as well. Buggy. And turning the alpha channel on sis not resolve this as I tried that and still had the movie start rendering with no rotoscope. Fortunately I caught it before I wasted 15 minutes, aborted, turned the rotoscope invisible and then visible again in the project workspace and it rendered properly.

Oh and Robcat and Rodney... I tried that rotoscope trick to the camera thing you guys suggested in the giraffe lesson and it worked like a charm. B)

Anyway. On to lesson 20. No Tut for 20. :(

Last lesson then I get my Morterboard on and Rodney knights me or something right? You have the power to knight people don't you Rodney? :P

lesson19reallyfinal.mov

• Hash Fellow
So I had a little fun with this one. Just a little. The lesson seemed so simple I had to complicate it a bit.

But I'm not going to tell you what I did to complicate matters. You have to watch the movie to find out (no spoiling!).

Hey, that's right up there with flying monkeys!

A couple things I noticed... This really REALLY bogs A:M down. Scrubbing doesn't work... at all. Even reducing the flock size to 12 didn't help all that much. My computer is pretty good so I don't think it's that. Just too much info coursing through the CPU I guess.
Any time you scrub backwards, even 1 frame, the computer has to start from frame 0 to recalculate all the particle positions. In V15 you can "bake" particles so they are locked in place and don't have to be recalculated. Not sure if that applies to flocks.

Also, some of the "flock" members get waayyyyyy too close to each other and there are a lot of pass throughs. Any way to avoid that? Actually I'm sure there are many ways to avoid that; I guess I'm asking for the best way?
not sure on that. There may be flocking threads here that get in to that, but I haven't really done much with flocking.

Last lesson then I get my Morterboard on and Rodney knights me or something right? You have the power to knight people don't you Rodney? :P
Rodney gets you taken off the DHS list of cranky loners.

• 8 months later...