Hash, Inc. Forums

Cooper F evolved to the Martian.

Ok..

I'd been playing with this idea for quiet sometime. Don't know if you guys know who Edward fudwupper is.. but its one of my favorite kids books from one of my favorite illustrators. I'd allways thought my son Cooper looked a little like Edward.. and I had to give it a shot.

The how to; I use photoshop Liquify.. ALL THE TIME... for all sorts of things. From time to time.. I use it like the old morph tools to make funny faces. I took this photo...

http://www.colins-loft.net/free/Coopsand.jpg

and manipulated it to this in Photoshop..

http://www.colins-loft.net/free/ComicCoop.jpg

As I did this.. it struck me that the same thing could be done with Magnet Mode in AM. And since I allready have a model of Coop... well you get the picture.

Not sure what I'll do with it from here, but I thought I'd share with you guys.

C

Cool, I never understand how people can make so darn many things in Photoshop, all I can make are colors and fancy patterns. I would love to see your son in the role of this book character you speak of, I always enjoy looking at your work. Looking forward to see how this goes along. ;)

Whoawi! Will this guy appear in a story? (I hope so! I hope so! I hope so!) I would really like to see atleast a short animation of this guy when/if you're done with the body. Btw, you must be unbeliveable good with that magnet tool, because...well, the image speaks for itself

Is your son still speaking to you?

Yep.. at first he thought it was weird.. but after a while he thought it was pretty funny.

Whoawi! Will this guy appear in a story?

Actually I just did it for a break and an idea. But I like it so much.. I might keep going after I finish the other stuff on my plate. I'll have to try it with my daughter and make a short out of them. Perhaps a "tom and Jerry" style bit. Or maybe "Wyle E Coyote and the Roadrunner" My kids are allways chasing each other around the house.

Hmmmm. Makes me wish I had nothing else to do.

C

Hey Colin, I LOVE this work you did! This little character is really likeable, and looks like he could be a handfull. Did you do this all with magnet mode, or did you use lattices at all to deform your mesh?

Thank you for your activity on this board because it is very informative, and inspirational.

Mark

Mark,

yep both magnet mode and lattices. Probably equal amount of both. Some mirror mode pulling as well. Took about an hour to get from my son's original "realistic" model.. to this toon version. I had a couple of winners in the intermittent stages as well. Wish I'd saved those.. but they would be easy to reproduce. Chalk it up as another one of my "uber model" experiments.

Thank you for the thank you!

C

That's really cool :D . Did you save it as a pose? or a whole seperate model. It'd be neat I'd think to see it morph from the life-like model to the cartoon version with a pose slider. Cool stuff!

-Robert Lazzarini

"WE WANT FLICKS! WE WANT FLICKS!" Do you have anything in store? I'm actious to see this guy move arround!

Sorry.. I've got two major modelling jobs I'm working on right now.. 1 major Programming job at work and another vacation in 2 weeks.. Looks like it might be a while before he moves. :-(

but he will. I like him too much to leave him in Suspended animation.

I'll keep you posted. I've banned myself from any other experimentation untill I get my promised work done.

Hopefully it'll get done quick. I'm dying to play.

C

• 1 month later...

woa. That's quite the transformation! :lol: . What does your son think about that model once being him? That's really cool. The first one creeps me out. Not that that's a bad thing, its good to get a reaction out of your audience, but still... its just creepy :blink: ! I think its the eyes. Anyways, cool stuff Colin, can't wait to see more.

-Robert

I worry about you Colin. You are living too close to the edge of civilization. Move inside the perimeter, QUICK! I hear banjo music looking at your latest stuff :D Same thing with the martian, but the banjo riffs are done on a synthesizer. ;)

Sheesh! This post reminds me of how much I miss you around here Colin.

This is truly a great looking model and transformation. I didn't read all the posts here but ... is this all done with magnet mode on the original mesh? And does it preserve your poses and so on?

Doug

Doug,

yes its all done with Magnet mode and the Lattice Tool. As far as poses working still.. it depends on the pose. For example.. if the eyelid blinks had allready been done. They wouldnt have held up if I'd done all of this in Model mode. But if you do it as a pose.. then it might. I'm still playing with it. The short answer is that some things will hold up and others will need to be tweeked. But its much faster than remodeling from scratch ;-)

I'm still around.. just taking it easy in the summer. Expect to be sick of my incessant posting by November or December.

C

To test myself the opportunities using Magnet Mode on recommendation from cfree68f - I made this picture with melting clocks - you have to scroll down.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=107934

As you perhaps know I think it is good with tutorials - and tutorials made with WINK - small ones - 1 MByte - and made fast and easy. Why not a tutorial on Magnet Mode and the Lattice Tool - showing the possibilities? cfree68f are you willing to do it?

:D

Yeah I might do a tutorial on it soon seven.. I'm in my slow period right now.. so things move at a glacial pace.

hats freaky Colin...did your son mind you doing that to this model?

Nah.. he loves being turned into all sorts of stuff. I just need to figure out some way to name this guy that has a play on Coopers name.

C

The story line will be something like a Robinson Cruseo on Mars, but have a Road Runner twist to it. He will have a "Friday" character (his co-pilot) and his name his Yoric (all thats left of him will be a skull). The Alien will have many attempts to get off of Mars, and never suceed.. allways blaiming his ineptitude (he's more than a little crazy from the solitude) on his poor co-pilot Yoric (who is allready dead).

Actually I thought about some weird delusional episodes where Yoric actually does sabotage the alien, but only in the alien's wild imaginings).

C