Hash, Inc. Forums

Pearl Of Venezia

I have tried to use fan bones - not understanding when to apply the orient like constraints. I have to do it in an Action? or when? And choosing what to orient to? None?

I'll generally set them up in an on/off pose (which I set to default to ON). That way, when you drop your model into an action or a choreography, the fan bones are already activated.

They orient like other bones in a chain. Say you're putting a fan bone in an elbow, to affect the spline ring through the center of the elbow. Both the forearm bone and the fan bone will be children of the upper arm bone; orient the fan bone like the forearm, with its pivot at the same place. Add the Orient Like constraint, make its target the forearm bone, and set it to 50%. As the arm bends, the fan bone will rotate in the same direction as the forearm, but only move halfway.

Say you're putting a fan bone in an elbow....

Tried to follow your description!

Not sure I got everything correct?

Add the Orient Like constraint, make its target the forearm bone, and set it to 50%

Do I have to set enforcement to 50% for the Bone1fan?

Did not do that!

Testing in a Choreography window the fan bones are not moving along with their parents...

Thanks for some more help!

post-7-1112537797.jpg

Fan 1 is a child of bone 1, so it already orients like bone 1. You need to orient like bone 2 at 50 percent enforcement. Don't forget compensate mode when applying the constraint, since the fan is not in line with the bone it is constrained to. Also, don't forget to turn the pose ON in the pose slider window in an action or a choreography, by default it is not set.

You need to orient like bone 2 at 50 percent enforcement.

Also, don't forget to turn the pose ON in the pose slider window in an action or a choreography, by default it is not set.

Believe I got it working?

:D

post-7-1112547954.jpg