Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Janitor of War

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://nathanimator.tripod.com/3d/jowhuge.jpg

FOUND IT!! Everybody--try that.

I saw the tripod thing too--but I wasn't going to give up.

It's got great textures. My only issue is the lazerbeam. There is no variation in color where in reality (which is the level of your textures) lasers differentiate in value as they pass through dust particles and such. Also, they are constantly pulsing at various rates which adds to the variation.

Good use of DOF.

J

Sweet textures!

Tripod forbids remote linking, so the only way to see a Tripod image from an external site is to copy the link and then paste it into a new browser window -- or disable the sending of HTTP referrer information, if your browser supports it.

Ok, my PC must be possessed...now I can see the image from the first post. Yep, I need a stiff shot of tequila. Great image! I really like the textures and DOF. One thing ...what is that yellow object? Is that being tossed into the janitor? Did it fall off? Maybe some motion blur to denote movement? I really like this image. Nicely done. Light set up? Wireframe? I like the modeling of the janitor...nice detail.

Tony

The two little robots pick up junk and place it in the janitor's dumpster bucket. The janitor is cutting up a piece off a ship for the little bot, and the bot in the background is flying something in to throw in the dumpster.

There's three lights. One sun light, one blue sun light from above for the sky, and one klieg coming from the ground on the right. Here's a wireframe. Thanks for the comments! :)

post-8-1112512324.jpg

The Janitor is about 8 feet tall. I know what you mean about the miniture feel though. I'm not quite sure why that is. Nothing really real to reference it to I guess.

I would do a render from a birds eye for you Mega, but I think you'd be some what disappointed. The landscape is three separate models. One that The janitor is standing on, one that the ship is crashed on, and cliffs in the back ground. Very much an optical illusion of sorts for the sake of time. Here's a pic to show you what I mean.

post-8-1112547471.jpg

The Janitor is about 8 feet tall. I know what you mean about the miniture feel though. I'm not quite sure why that is.

Part of it, I'm guessing, is the depth of field. The janitor bot is in sharp focus, but the little bot in the background, which looks like it's very near the janitor, is very out of focus -- as are the foreground rocks. This makes it look like a very narrow depth of field, which is the effect you see when you take a picture of a small model from very close to it.

Try widening up your DoF so that the background spaceship is only slightly blurry, and see if that makes a difference.

You could also try moving the camera about halfway down towards the ground, so the janitor looms, and perhaps scaling the distant little bot down a bit so it looks as far away as it is (the narrow viewing angle disguises the distance quite a bit; the closer you zoom, the less an object's apparent size changes with distance).

Dang I can't see the pic... *next day* Hmm... still can't see it... *12 hours later* Let's see if I can see the pic now. Hm... *fiddle* *fiddle* dan... wait! What's this? Good Lord, I can SEE!! and it's so beautiful!

Now that Im done writing silly stuff, I just want to say it was well worth the wait! Too bad all the comments are used, because if I was first in line I would've said "magnificent textures", "awsome models", "great background, love the blurr" and "fix that laserbeam"(it looks a bit odd, it needs some more color).

Guest jandals
Part of it, I'm guessing, is the depth of field.

I think it's a lack of anything to reference to more than the DOF. If there was some clutter at the robot's "foot" like tires, bolts, cogs, something the viewer can latch onto and say "that item is a foot tall so the robot is..."

I just like the DOF effect but it needs something like a stop sign or a hatch cover to set the scale.

Great image!

Good texturing job. Great attention to details here.

There are just some little details that are killing the render.

Those black tubes in the janitor trunk which are completely lacking the level of details that the rest of the objects have. And they immediately look like our typical garden hoses and because we are seeking for reference objects, they make the janitor look like a 1 or 2 feet tall robot.

For a mechanical object this size, sense of scale would be better if there were more small-scale mechanical nurnies.

Lowering the camera position would also help with the sense of scaling issue.