Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Oden

I'm doing a short with some references to nordic mythology and are at the moment working with a poster/promo image. As for one of the elements in the poster i created this cg-version of Oden. The textures still need some more work but I'm pretty happy with the 'evilness' of his appearance so I just wanted to share... :)

oden2.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the image. Like the character. Textures are terrific.

But, it doesn't come across with the presence of a god-figure. He seems more like an imp--Scrappy Doo vs. Scooby Doo.

That's my only criticism though. For me, it just doesn't read as Oden.

J

I have to say I both disagree and agree with Josh. He doesn't seem all "god-like", BUT numerous nordic Gods don't look like gods when you first look at them. I agree, he doesn't look all god-y, but Im not sure if this guy SHOULD looky all god-y, as I mentioned above. And btw, I agree with Josh on a few more things: textures are great, the model looks awsome and boy, he's creepy!

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

I tried to put some beard on him at first but I thought he looked meaner without so I just put that hair-thing under his chin instead.

He doesn't look like the typical god but It's like Mr. Jaqe said I'm not really after that kind of look

Hmm, his smile maybe looks weird. I'll take another look at it...

Excellent model. I especially like the cloth. What type of light set up did you use? I'd love to see the lighting from underneath to give him more of a menacing appearance. Looking forward to more updates...

Tony

Just to emphasise what I was refering to re the mouth and smile - see attached.

The corners of the mouth (blue) are too rounded - they should be pulled to an acute angle. The 'crease' in skin is too long and in general is caused by the skin being pulled tight over the teeth but the teeth/upper jaw shape is not wide enough to cause this shape and in any case would not go all the way to the cheek crease.

Cheers

Model looks great.

I've studied Nordic Myth since I was 11. My favorite of all mythologies.

Odin was known to wonder the earth as a normal looking man from time to time. This could be that manifestation of him. Don't know about the teeth though. They make him look more like Loki than an Odin to me.

I mean as the leader of the gods he should have some level of "Magnitude" to him.. even in his wondering guise.

I agree about the beard as well. Traditionally Odin has one. His wondering look has a less full beard.. more like a Magician or illusionist than a full on Viking beard.

How bout a patch for the eye? I like the stiches, but the patch might make him look more "evil"

Save this guy though.. he's a good starting point for loki.

I hope you're doing a Thor. I'd like to see him.

C

Thanks for all your nice comments!

KenH: It will be a full character in the end but at them moment it's just the face.

Paul Forwood: I agree. I will put some more wrinkles to it.

Mega: The light setup is pretty simple. I used Skycast and then just one keylight. Actually I tried to lit it from beneath but it looked weird somehow. I might get it to work if I put in some more lights though.

higginsdj: I think you might be right! I will make some changes.

cfree68f: An eyepatch? Didn't thought of that but I will give it a shot! The reason for his appearance (with teeth and all) is that I've read that Odin (I wrote Oden as it spells that way in Swedish) has two faces. One peaceful that he shows to his allies and one horrific that he shows to his enemies. I therefore tried to create a face that starts out peaceful but turns evil as it smiles. Beneath is the peaceful look. I might make a model out of Thor but probably not Loki. I promise to put a big beard on Thor thought.;) I would love to see your image btw! Thanks for taking the time!

post-7-1112522687.jpg

It would be a little bit more peaceful if the eye wasn't still the yellow color (if this is something you plan on doing disregard). Given your description there is a scene from Princess Mononoke where the main character gets upset and the background starts to change color--and so does his skin color. Just a thought.

"Magnitude" to him

Good word. That's what I was looking for. Thanks for that Colin.

J

hmmm, that's a damn good model, hey, how about a white eye? that could do one of two things:

1.Make him look like a zombie (not good)

2.Make him look like a god and add a bit of that ¨magnitude¨

bear in mind that i know nothing about nordic mythology, but i think that this could work

PS. if you do do the white eye thing add some glow to it.

later.

hmmm, that's a damn good model, hey, how about a white eye?

Óđinn (Odin, Oden, Wodin, Wotan...) plucked out his eye and cast it into Mímr's well in exchange for wisdom, so MixePix's sewed-up empty socket is quite fitting.

Actually I'm thinking of giving him some kind of particle aura when he makes his appearance which will change color after his mood. Changing the eye-color is a good idea though. I think I'll do that as well.

I started out with a white eye but I think it's better with the current one. The advantage with an actual eye is that he can pinpoint his victim with his stare. Uhm, don't know if that makes any sense at all...:/

I started out with a white eye but I think it's better with the current one. The advantage with an actual eye is that he can pinpoint his victim with his stare. Uhm, don't know if that makes any sense at all...:/
It does to me. Picture this: He steps out of a small house, looks at a local warlord, whom he doesn't like... at all, and then all of a sudden *zapp!!*, the warlord is struck by lightning! Maybe that wasn't exactly what you ment, but I let my imagination do a little jumping, but I do belive I know what you mean.

Very nice attention to detail, I know little about odin as is written but as a model it looks good to me! As your strengths seem to be in the detail, perhaps adding more variation in skin tone and perhaps some eyelashes? that bad eye might be a little more swollen, bruised and generally nastier looking perhaps? Personally id be very proud of what you already have though.

been playing alot of resident evil 4 recently, looking at this post made me want to reach for a shotgun!

Regards - Nixie

Amazing textures. Good model.

Contradicting popular opinion I really liked pointed teeth (not that I would like to meet this Odin in the street though)

Anyway, (allthough I am not an expert) I've always had the feeling that even the "Good" nordic gods are not that good in the christian sense of the word, so this look is probably very very appropriate.

I would love to see your Thor (and Loki :D)

Some wireframes would be really nice ;)

GREAT, can't wait to see the animation!

Great looking model.

Lke a few of the other posters I always expect a beard.

The ravens and the spear/staff(can't remember which at the moment) are the other symbols I think of with Odin...depends on how traditional you want to be. B)

Looking forward to more...

I think your Oðinn model is great and I think it's more fun to see your interpretation of how he looks than yet another traditional viking image.

Traditionally Oðinn is painted with a large beard together with his ravens Huginn and Muninn and his wolves Gere and Freke. Oðinn also has a horse with eight legs, Sleipnir. He carries his spear, Gungnir, which is known to never miss it's target and he has a magic golden bangle, Draupnir.

<SWEDISH>

Dessutom borde väl vi svenskar veta bäst hur Oden verkligen ska se ut ;)

</SWEDISH>

I'm not really satisfied with the stitches either so I will experiment a little. Maybe try out an eye-patch.

ohhh - I thought the stiches were an excellent touch, would hate to see them go... more intriguing to me than an eye patch..don't sell out just because something is difficult (even tho that's what I do all the time)

Perhaps you might make the stitched eye area more flat - when someone has lost an eye -I believe the socket sinks, ....perhaps the area should have a darker, "greener" discoloration as an indication of unhealthy tissue?

But to me the image/character is GREAT just the way it is.

trajcedrv: Here's a wire just for you.

JohnArtbox: Well I thought that I'd be a little progressive at first but the beard-thing seems to be important.:) Collin sent me an image with some suggestion so I will play with it for a while and see if I can increase his facial hair a little. The birds and the spear will be in the movie though.

aaver: Ja precis! Vi borde ju räknas som auktoriteter på området! :)

NancyGormezano: nice to hear that you liked the stitches.:) I'm not sure about the eye-patch yet. Just thought I would at least try the idea out and see if it worked..

post-7-1112733021.jpg

• 5 months later...