Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Feline Witch

Particles and stuff

Gah! Every time I try and find a particle engine, it is always crap somehow. The ones I have seen look dated, create crummy effects and only work for particular game engines.

Is there anyway I can use the particles in AM for a game? Or is it completly impossible? Please help.

The same images you could use with sprites (sprite emitters) in A:M you could use in many game engines. Similar to the thing with Hair... I don't think particles will translate well.

Ah, that is better news then I expected to hear! :D

What is the difference between a sprite and a particle? Would a sprite just be a 2D picture of a feather, and a particle be a fully 3d modelled and textured feather?

Well, its not just the actual image, it is well the effect. The game engines produce pretty basic controls, and I thought I could have better controls over what each particle/sprite did.

It is also a special effects I want. I don't want Lazuli to drop some grainy circles on an enemy, I want her body to glow, a magic circle to appear beneth her, then she sprinkles the enemy with sparkling lights. OK, that sounds a bit over ambitious, but I want to create effects that look beautiful, not dated ones.

I think what you need to understand is that there is no specific "game export" option in AM.

Every game out there uses what ever specific particle effect is programed into it. You have to use the tools with in the game engine to create those effects.

the particles and sprites in AM have to be used "within AM"... you can't export that functionality to another program, or to a game engine.

Many game engines use a 3D partical generator or sprite particle generator or whatever.

Some game engines work with "sprites" meaning, you render a sequence of animations with an alpha and those are programatically incorporated into the game. So you could use the sprites and partical effects generated by AM in this case but they are only rendered images, not "real" particles. You would of course need the proper alpha on the images used to blend into the game environment.

Short answer, no, you can't port the particle effects from AM to a game.

But you can render "flat" non-3D animated images that have rendered AM particle effects to be used in a game engine that supports this.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Ack. I was hoping that was not the case. Thank you for telling me.

Well, I just need to find a decent particle engine. Does anybody know of a good game engine with particle effects?

What are you trying to do? What kind of game? There are a lot of factors involved with making interactive entertainment and many of the answers you're looking for rely on what it is that you want to accomplish. 2-D platformer? 3-D RPG? puzzle game? MMORPG? Sorry if you answered this in another thread that I didn't see.

As far as engines go, we use a heavily modified version of Gamebryo.

A 3D action RPG.

So, I want to create nice looking magic spells. And I want to create interesting looking ones. The particle effects I have seen in game engines kinda suck, and I just wanna create spells want to see, not just some buzzy little dots whose only role is to link that pushing a button and with causing damage.

And not just magic spells. There are some effects I want to create other effects, like weaponry motion lines. One character has wings made out of solidified rays of light, so I want her wings to shed tiny stars, to give an example.

The particle effects you have seen that... uh... "suck"... any examples?

More to the point would be to find games that have particles you do like and find out what engine was used.

If you haven't seen any games that have a particle system that would be up to snuff... it could be your standards are too high.

That kind of thing may be additional in-house "add ons" that a game producer created from scratch. A lot of game engines have the ability to program your own "thingies" and hook them in.

Please be advised... I don't have any game programming experience. All of my knowledge is based on reading and observing the process from others.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Yeah, my standards are very high...

"suck" was a bit harsh of me, what I mean is, the particle effects are acceptable, but they look dated and are nothing special to look at. I will see about showing you some of the stuff I have made.

Particle effects are extremely computationally expensive, especially if they have dynamics and react to their surroundings. Most of the time what you see in-game is similar to A:M's image-based particles. They rarely have dynamics unless it's sparks or something basic like that.

Yeah, I heard that particles eat up a lot of memory, and now that I think about it, something like pasting a bunch of fire particles to a campfire can often cause the computor to crash.

OK, did you say that sprites are easier to export to games? Could someone show me some sprites they have made?