Hash, Inc. Forums

Smart Skining Calf

Bastion

Hey guys,

Here's the issue.

I'm using the 2001 Rig in one of my models. When I smart skin the biceps, forearms, and thighs they work fine (both with IK setups off or on.)

However, when I smartskin the calves they only work with IK leg setup off.

I think someone else may have had this problem.

Can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Thanks.

As far as I know I'm applying it to the geometry bone.

But I'm not 100% on the difference.

I select the left calf in the modeling window (bone mode) then do a new smart skin.

I only see one left calf. Are there athers?

Hmm, well if you are indeed applying it to the calf geometry bone than that is a little odd.

You are creatign the smartskin in a relationship window and not an action window, right?

And if so, then perhaps a bug to report?

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

www.vrcops.com

I was having a similar problem but it was caused by my smartskinning from an action, with the character in the default FK setup, so later if I turned on IK in another action, my smartskins were not working. The solution was to create the smartskins from the models main window, not an action.

Good or bad, I'm actually creating the smart skin from the model window and not an action.

If this is a bug shouldn't someone else be seeing this.

Have any of you used this rig and if so how is the calf smart skining working for you?

I'm running 11.d

New information.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I found that I had a circularity in the thigh smart skin. When I deleted the thigh smart skin, the calf smart skin works fine.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to rebuild the thigh smart skin, right now.

I'll try later and see if the problem comes back.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Newer Information.

Okay, I'm not sure if this will have any side effects, but this resolved my problem.

I went into the Left thigh relationship and deleted the IK Leg Setup, under User Properties.

The calf bends fine now and the smart skin for my thigh still works.

Hopefully, this helps someone.

I have an idea about why this happened, but if someone with real knowledge could tell me that would be GREAT.

Thanks all.

It sounds like you are turning the IK relationship on/off through the pose slider while you are smartskinning. If you need to turn it on/off, use the user properties in the properties of the model under the object folder, that way it is not part of the smartskin. If you open up the relationship folder you should see 2 things, bones and user properties. The bones is your smartskin, find the calf or thigh bone and open them up, you may see a relation with the smartskin that is the IK leg setup on/off, delete it. You may need to redo your smartskin. Don't delete the thigh relationship from the user properties under the relationship folder, now there are no constraints for the thigh in the IK setup. You can drag and drop the relationship folder from the 2001 rig onto your model to get the relationships for the thigh back. Hope that helps.