Hash, Inc. Forums

Exercise 10: FW-190 Fighter

• Admin

Oh yeah! Now that's what I'm talking 'bout.

Thanks for taking the time to go in and get that missionn accomplished.

As you state the taillift thing is a go provided sufficient acceleration.

I'm no pilot though so I'll quickly defer to those who are.

The wetted down street trick... oooo... thats alays a good one.

Remind me again how you did that... musta been particile water sprayed all over the taxiway and runway? :P

Different plane but your animation reminded me of all those years as a kid watching Pappy Boynton and his Baa Baa Black Sheep. :)

See you in Exercise 11!

Edit: Going back and looking again... you've got some beautiful stuff going on there.

Nice layout... sound effects... I had missed the birds chirping on the first pass. Nice transitional effect... Wow, I like. You need to email me this one so I can add it to my collection. Please!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah! Now that's what I'm talking 'bout.

Thanks for taking the time to go in and get that missionn accomplished.

As you state the taillift thing is a go provided sufficient acceleration.

I'm no pilot though so I'll quickly defer to those who are.

The wetted down street trick... oooo... thats alays a good one.

Remind me again how you did that... musta been particile water sprayed all over the taxiway and runway? :P

Different plane but your animation reminded me of all those years as a kid watching Pappy Boynton and his Baa Baa Black Sheep. :)

See you in Exercise 11!

Edit: Going back and looking again... you've got some beautiful stuff going on there.

Nice layout... sound effects... I had missed the birds chirping on the first pass. Nice transitional effect... Wow, I like. You need to email me this one so I can add it to my collection. Please!

For the wetted down taxiway, I just asked the guys that run the fire trucks for the airdrome if they would spray it down before I took off. They did and the trick worked fine. B)

• Admin

Beth,

The dreaded white square (from a rotoscope) is an indication of graphics card incompatibility.

This can be as simple a fix as downloading the latest driver from your video card's manufacturer but it could also mean you've got a video card that won't play nice with A:M's rotoscopes and/or realtime rendering.

One thing you can also check it to open TOOLS/OPTIONS and on the global tab change your video card settings from Direct 3D to OpenGL or vice versa. If one works in one instance and the other for other things you can change back and forth will no adverse effect to your system. In other words... if changing your realtime renderng settings works... it works!

Beth,

The dreaded white square (from a rotoscope) is an indication of graphics card incompatibility.

This can be as simple a fix as downloading the latest driver from your video card's manufacturer but it could also mean you've got a video card that won't play nice with A:M's rotoscopes and/or realtime rendering.

One thing you can also check it to open TOOLS/OPTIONS and on the global tab change your video card settings from Direct 3D to OpenGL or vice versa. If one works in one instance and the other for other things you can change back and forth will no adverse effect to your system. In other words... if changing your realtime renderng settings works... it works!

ok when i switched to direct 3d i got an error . but i wonder right now im also rendering my can you say that excise. do u think i cant see it because of that? u know to much stuff at one time

ok i hope i made sence lol

o also does upgrading cost money? and how much?

im a student (highschooler) so i hope not to much lol

• Admin

Beth,

I think you misunderstand.

The driver update is almost always a free download from the maker of your graphics (video) card.

I've never seen them charge for drivers anyway...

The rotoscope seems to be the primary source of problems with some graphics cards (realtime rendering of images). While I try to never say never you shouldn't have any problems with exercises where you don't use rotoscopes. Think of it like this... No rotoscope image... no white rotoscople image.

Best,

Rodney

• Admin
k now its working no more white box biggrin.gif i guess i just had to sleep to make it go away lol

As you aren't the only one to have this problem any information you can provide might help someone else too.

Things generally don't just fix themselves. Sleep can help though. ;)

Perhaps the change from OpenGL to Direct 3D and back did the job?

We may never know...

The important thing... no more white box! :)

arg ok now im having another difficulty lol.....ok im doing the back wings and the copy flip thing doesnt seem to be working it keeps attaching on top of it instead of the side.

Does anyone know wh im doing wrong?

ty in advance

• 3 weeks later...

[attachmentid=20427]

Exercise #10

Completed on Sept 10th.

No instructor, just using the book.

Notes: Nothing fancy this time, my real job has been killer recently. On Thursday and Friday I put in 26 hours. Anyhoo, I'm still plugging away at TAOAM, even if it's only ten minutes a day.

post-7177-1157903128_thumb.jpg

[attachmentid=20427]

Exercise #10

Completed on Sept 10th.

No instructor, just using the book.

Notes: Nothing fancy this time, my real job has been killer recently. On Thursday and Friday I put in 26 hours. Anyhoo, I'm still plugging away at TAOAM, even if it's only ten minutes a day.

Cool view. Flying above the clouds! Good job.

JohnnyB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

Name: Shane O'Sullivan

[attachmentid=20648]

That looks like a successful outing.

My only question is the nose... it looks rather flattish.

Name: Eric Camden

Showoff!

Looks great!

The little rust dribbles on the landing gear might be too uniform.

Name: Al Dinelt

Exercise Completed: Exercise 10: FW-190 Fighter

Date Completed: October 5, 2006

Instructor: TAoA:M

I decided to try a different airplane for this lesson, a P51-D Mustang. By not just copying the steps in the book, it helps me to reinforce and understand what it is I am trying to learn. I am about 95% happy with the results. The area that I am not happy with is the canopy. Not really sure how to go back and add extra detail like the canopy frame yet.

And yup, this took a whole lot longer than 2 hours. More like 3 or 4 evenings.

Thanks...

Al

[attachmentid=21140]

exercise_10.jpg

Thanks Johnny. I made the decals from the blueprints that I downloaded from http://www.the-blueprints.com/ and used as the rotoscopes. I have a program called Black Magic which allows me to colorize black and white photos and images. After the images were colorized, then I used Paint Shop Pro 5 to airbrush in some details like the exhaust marks.

Thanks Johnny. I made the decals from the blueprints that I downloaded from http://www.the-blueprints.com/ and used as the rotoscopes. I have a program called Black Magic which allows me to colorize black and white photos and images. After the images were colorized, then I used Paint Shop Pro 5 to airbrush in some details like the exhaust marks.

Great site! Thank you.

Keep up your great work with AM.

JohnnyB

Thanks everyone for the great comments!

To get the spinning propellor, I created a disc the diameter of the propellor blades. Then I applied the propcolor.jpg file as a decal to the disc. Next I applied the proptrans.jpg file as a decal to the disc, but set the type to transaparency.

The images are there for anyone to use if they would like to.

Thanks...

Al

[attachmentid=21161] [attachmentid=21162]

[edit]

I have included the zip file for the P51-D Mustang model if anyone else would like to use it. I have modelled the canopy windows so they could be made transparent and added a very basic cockpit tub so the decalled fusalage would not show through the canopy.

Enjoy...

Al

[attachmentid=21244]

[attachmentid=21245]

PropColor.jpg

PropTrans.jpg

P51Mustang0.jpg

P51Mustang.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Name: Caroline Begbie

Exercise: Exercise 10 - FWhatever

Date Completed: 29th Oct 2006

Halfway through, so it's time to say:

It's great that you guys look at what we're doing here. It really gives incentive to do each exercise carefully, and gradually learn The Art. Thank you.

Onward and Upward....

[attachmentid=21793]

post-9673-1162125106_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Great job Caroline.

You are really getting quick!

It's great that you guys look at what we're doing here. It really gives incentive to do each exercise carefully, and gradually learn The Art. Thank you.

Let me echo the thanks to all who take the time to comment on TaoA:M exercises here in the Forum.

Feedback is important. Every modeling and animation effort needs an audience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exercise 10: FW Fighter

Name: Lori Hiatt

Tutorial and manual

Date of Completion November 17th, 2006

This was a struggle for me. I started to get the hang of it around my third try. Not happy with the propellers or the whole in the top of the tail section but needed to move onward before frustration set in.

I couldn't figure out how people got those nice skies behind the plane. Wish I knew.

post-9577-1164554289_thumb.jpg

post-9577-1164554311_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Lori,

This indeed is a tough one but most will agree not as tough as the Giraffe.

I've got a book or two on airplanes that I've been dying to turn into models for use with this exercise but I don't have the time nor patience.

If I ever need to model airplanes though I know where to go! :)

Exercise 10: FW Fighter

Name: Lori Hiatt

Tutorial and manual

Date of Completion November 17th, 2006

This was a struggle for me. I started to get the hang of it around my third try. Not happy with the propellers or the whole in the top of the tail section but needed to move onward before frustration set in.

I couldn't figure out how people got those nice skies behind the plane. Wish I knew.

"Nice skies." I’m not sure how you’re making your pictures of the airplane. Are you rendering from the modeling window? Let me know.

Meanwhile, I’ll assume that you are in the modeling window, since there is no scenery (ground, sky, etc.) around your airplane. Open a new Choreography, and import your airplane into the choreography (File/Import or right click in the models library window and select New/Shortcut and select your airplane model and open it, then drag the resulting icon into the choreography). Select the Images tab in the Library and open the folder labeled sky. There’s some beautiful skies in there! Pick one and drag it into the choreography. A box will open that allows you to select Rotoscope or Layer. Select Rotoscope and it will place the sky behind your ground plane. Delete the ground from the Objects folder in the Projects window. All that’s left is to position your airplane model and camera to the pose you like.

Hope this helps. Your plane looks great, just give it some friendly skies. :rolleyes:

"Nice skies." I’m not sure how you’re making your pictures of the airplane. Are you rendering from the modeling window? Let me know.

Meanwhile, I’ll assume that you are in the modeling window, since there is no scenery (ground, sky, etc.) around your airplane. Open a new Choreography, and import your airplane into the choreography (File/Import or right click in the models library window and select New/Shortcut and select your airplane model and open it, then drag the resulting icon into the choreography). Select the Images tab in the Library and open the folder labeled sky. There’s some beautiful skies in there! Pick one and drag it into the choreography. A box will open that allows you to select Rotoscope or Layer. Select Rotoscope and it will place the sky behind your ground plane. Delete the ground from the Objects folder in the Projects window. All that’s left is to position your airplane model and camera to the pose you like.

Hope this helps. Your plane looks great, just give it some friendly skies. :rolleyes:

Hi Johnny,

I was taking a snapshot of my screen in the modeling window. When I tried to add sky in the past the sky looked too pixelated but today it doesn't have that look. I wasn't deleting the ground before- I 'm so new I hesitate to press the delete button!

Thanks for your help.

Lori

post-9577-1164578252_thumb.jpg

Hi Johnny,

I was taking a snapshot of my screen in the modeling window. When I tried to add sky in the past the sky looked too pixelated but today it doesn't have that look. I wasn't deleting the ground before- I 'm so new I hesitate to press the delete button!

Thanks for your help.

Lori

Aahh! Beautiful!

Johnny

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Name: Michael Fortunato

Exercise Completed: Ex 10 - Fighter

Date Completed Jan 13, 2006

Instructor: Das Book. Looked at video tutorial for the propellers.

Comments: Flew through this until I got to the propellers. Had a hell of a time with those. Perhaps because it was 1am and I was tired, don't know why.

I have two images. The basic render to show the model and a pshopped version I thought looked cool.

- Michael

post-8824-1168672584_thumb.jpg

post-8824-1168672598_thumb.jpg

I started this exercise 3 months ago with the original model but I just couldn't stop making changes to it.

I actually bought a plastic model and took digital pictures, edited them in corel, and made jpg decals.

It's still a work in progress, what do you think.

p.s. there is a problem with the decal that I couldn't resolve. the cross on the fuselage is smeared for some reason.

cam_3_plane_only_000.mov

• Admin

I'd say the extra time and effort you put into that really paid off! Very nice.

The distortion we'd probabably have to look at close. It could be several things.

You've got a lot going in that little animation that works for me.

The animation, a hint of background and the secondary (propellor) animation really add some nice touches.

The work you've done in decaling speaks for itself. Great job!

Michael,

Sorry so late in responding.

I really love the sepia 'pshopped' one.

There is something in that old photo look that really makes the eye happy.

Scratch it up, rough up the corners and consider some elements to enhance the perspective (another plane or two?) in the faded background and you've got a showpiece.

Good job!

Thanks, I spent a lot of time experimenting with the prop. I didn't get exactly what I wanted, but it takes a lot less time and the results are acceptable... for now.

Here is a jpeg of the decal problem. Let me know what you think. I've tried moving the decal and the distortion happens at the same place on the model. More so on this side, the other side is much less obvious. I'm late for work so I have to go. Thanks in advance.

post-3300-1169388403_thumb.jpg

Name: Jeremiah M. Faries

Exercise Completed: #10: FW-190 Fighter

Date Completed: Jan 21, 2007

Remarks: the 3d3d in my tag refers to my love of stereo imagery (one 3d for each eye :rolleyes: ) so I thought this would be a good one to render in stereo. You'll need RED-CYAN (RED on LEFT eye) glasses to see the stereo but the filters are subtle enough the image works without glasses too. For some reason A:M only renders in RED-BLUE or RED-GREEN both of which distort the colours too much. I rendered two images and then ran filters in photoshop to get the stereo.

Hope its ok to post stereo images in these submissions (I'll post a mono too).

THIS FIRST IMAGE IS STEREO

post-5634-1169428692_thumb.jpg post-5634-1169428738_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Jeremiah,

Its fine to post stereo images here.

I can't see them usually without glasses so I'll have to track mine down.

Here is a jpeg of the decal problem. Let me know what you think. I've tried moving the decal and the distortion happens at the same place on the model. More so on this side, the other side is much less obvious. I'm late for work so I have to go. Thanks in advance.

That is strange.

I'd say its some kind of mip map error in the decaling process but we could expect to see that elsewhere in the model too.

Are you using Targe (TGA) images for decals?

No I'm not using targa images, I'm using jpegs. Is there a problem with that? Also whats a mip map. Keep in mind I'm a newbie.

Example: I just spent 2 days trying to figure out why my particles wouln't show up. I found in the render to file options, particles were turned off! (DUH)

Man, I've got a lot to learn.

• 2 weeks later...