Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Soulcage once more

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual: meticulous, good animation with technical difficulties thrown in to boot... good crowd.

As usual: I'm depressed after watching it.

As usual: I'm inspired after watching it.

I just can't resist, however... to be honest, it taught me a little about myself- a certain little... prejudice I guess I have, as an American. But b/w footage of German men shouting to crowds from a balcony (even when they're only holding up a harmless brochure) only calls up one disturbing image to me. I guess I've been, in some way, a victim of propoganda over the years. Interesting.

Or is that somehow the point of the add? He does have a Charlie Chaplin (ahem) moustache, and his hair is looking like it could be going in the direction of... If that IS the point of the add, I must say I'm stunned.

Sorry.... :unsure:

Hi Guys -

O.K., maybe I should explain the ad a bit...

The guy on the balcony isn't a German, he's Austrian, a Guy called Leopold Figl. This guy was the minister of foreign affairs in Austrias 50's. The ad is a caricature of the famous historical event, when Austria got back it's autonomy after WW2. Back in the days, the original Leopold showed the "State Contract" to the cheering masses, in our ad, as you can see, it's a brochure of 'Saturn'. The other guys on the balcony are the ministers of the allied countries involved in the Contract: Great Britain, The US, France, Russia.

SO, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY NAZI SHIT, IT IS A CARICATURE OF THE HAPPIEST AND MOST PEACEFUL DAY IN AUSTRIAS HISTORY.

Hope to have set things straight.

Greetings, Elm.

:ph34r:

• Hash Fellow

Very interesting how American expectations of orators are so different. The need to appear "of the people" is so strong that you'd almost never see a politician put himself on a balcony.

And Abraham Lincoln had a bad time in a balcony.

Elm,

Believe me I meant no offense and TOOK no offense- it is just as I explained it- being american your add pointed out some interesting preconceptions I have as to how politicians should behave, and how I expect people speaking german to behave (not germans, sorry about that) . I'm a victim of propoganda, and my own culture here, I readily admit.

LOL- your yelling bit in your reply is sorta funny.

anyway the crowd is fantastic, the atmoshere is really well done, and the crowd is fantastic- reminds me of your guys awsome work in that chicken toon with the crowd in the highrise. Amazing stuff coming out of am.

Good likeness of Figl. Here you go, for those interested:

http://www.vsmichelhausen.ac.at/htm-Dokumente/figl.htm

danke for sharing.

I liked the mannerisms of the fellow holding the brochure. He expressed a gentle nature. The hand gestures of the fellow to the left of him were also interesting.

Twice now we've seen large crowds in your work. Do you composite them in on seperate layers, or do you plant them all in one chor at the same time? If it's all in one Chor, what manner of machine could handle one of that magnitude?

What is your strategy for crowds?

Did you use just one or a few clapping and waving actions to drive the crowd?

Did it not take very long to model the crowd since they're only in a long shot?

What did you do to figure out how the camera moves?

What did you use for the flashing and scratching to imply old film?

How long did it take to produce this ad?

Congratulations on the start of the second Unit. We shall now expect great things from the Soulcage Department. :)

@ nyahkitty

yeah, we render small groups of people and composite them together afterwards.

the crowd mostly consists of figures we designed to be a crowd member. they have quite simple models with lots of poses to change their shape, colour (in this case this wasn't too important) and emotion.

yeah, there were very few animations for the crowd.

the camera? WE moved the camera..?!?

willi once wrote some flickering scripts we used for "sunny side" and we just used them again with a few different values. done in AE.

it took about a mounth. if you ask me, it would've been great to have more time for the animation of the main characters. we had only about 3 - 4 days for them.

@ dimos

saturn is a big store for electronic products.

SATURN

Fantastic job but... Good grief!

I had to watch it 3 times before I noticed....

The people in the crowd are 3D!??!

I just assumed it was archived historical footage... man! You guys really go the distance!

Vernon "The hills...are alive! AAAHHHHGG!" Zehr

(I am terribly sorry. That is the only Austrian reference I know of besides Arnold and Sigmund, and I already did an Arnold reference this week)

SATURN is a big store for electrical appliances.

Ohhhhhh, I thought that it maybe was the car company but I noticed I never saw a car in the ads so it didn't make much sense.

I just wrote it off to the european mentality. ;)

we rendered small groups of people and composite them together afterwards.

the crowd mostly consists of figures we designed to be a crowd member. they have quite simple models with lots of poses to change their shape, colour (in this case this wasn't too important) and emotion.

there were very few animations for the crowd we used several times.

I dont know if that helps:

Saturn and Media Markt are the biggest electronical shops in Europe with I think about 400 or more markets here...

What only a few people know: Both are owned by the metro-group (do you know them in the US?) but they always seem to fight eachother in commercials and others...

A great, but manipulating commercial-strategy...

*Fuchur*

thanks.

@greg

we used the old school poissant dome with z buffered shadows.

--- once more thanks yves ---

for the balcony we just rotated the dome about 20 degrees to get more light from the front bottom and less from behind, where the wall is.