Bob Koonce B)

post-2243-1142163028_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Name: Elizabeth S. Borkowski

Exercise Completed: Exercise 8

Date Completed: 5/23/06

Instructor: TAoAM manual, Hash support, and the AM Forums

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: Work wanted me to learn modeling so I skipped Exercise 6 and 7 for now, will go back to it soon. I keep getting pulled for web projects at work so I hope I don't forget all I learned about animating in the previous exercises. I have also done the flower and I am struggling with the giraffe, but I have to say modifying existing models is a great way to get comfortable with how models are built.

post-8920-1148410799_thumb.jpg

• Admin
Work wanted me to learn modeling

What a wonderful condition to be in. :)

Good job Elizabeth!

Modifying models is definitely a great way to go especially if you have limited time and/or experience.

That perhaps above all else is the lesson of Exercise 8.

I'm sure you must have the Extra CD already but if not:

Extra CD Volume I (online)

There are a lot of cars on there too for those that want to use them in this exercise. :)

Here are a few: Land Vehicles

Hmmm.... I wonder what a little squash and stretch might do to: Stian's McLaren

• 1 month later...

OK! My car's tires are octagonal. Bad ride. Poor mileage. How can I blow them up so they'll be round like everybody else's :(

JohnnyB

You probably have the splines on Peak. Choose your tires and hit o to smooth them out.

OK! My car's tires are octagonal. Bad ride. Poor mileage. How can I blow them up so they'll be round like everybody else's :(

JohnnyB

You probably have the splines on Peak. Choose your tires and hit o to smooth them out.

Not quite sure how to do that. I selected the tires (rubber) and hit o (lower case O) but nothing happened. I pressed the smooth button and nothing happened. They're still octagonal. <_>

Johnny, is this problem happening when you render out a pic or just in the viewport. If its just in the viewport, then try hitting the page up, page down keys. They are a detail button that alllows you dumb down the detail while working. If its in render, send me your file and I will have a look at it.

I don't think there is a problem. What you're seeing is Shaded view, which is not the same as Render. The Shaded view is a lo-res, which is why your tires look octagonal. Why don'tyou do a quick render and see ifthat solves it :)

You guys were right! Right on the money. First I rendered it - round tires! Then I hit the Page Up key and bingo! Round tires. No problem at all (just the problems of a newbie :)

And I was going to take it back to the dealership.

Thanks a million. Now I'll see if I can turn that thing into a Maserati.

JohnnyB

• Admin

JohnnyB,

If you are experiencing this 'problem' its a safe bet that others will eventually experience it too.

Your posting... and the related 'fix' showing that resolution in real time can be adjusted via Page Up/Page Down keys will save people a lot of time and frustration as they read through these exercise threads.

Thanks!

Now on with that custom car! :)

• Admin

You guys are really pushing these exercises.

Bruce,

The added scenery is nice.

The fold in the middle of the car at first made me think this one had been in an accident.

For a car such as that you might want to push the deformation even further. Not that you are going for comedic effect though.

John,

What a great display piece

You've sold me on that car already. (Nice wheels!)

Bravo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a newbie working on my first "big" project. I am trying to incorporate some a:m into a commercial I am working on. I was actually having the same issue with the square tires on my cars. I did not panic. I came here and within 5 minutes I found my answer. I knew it was something basic that I wasn't doing correctly. I really want to thank you guys!!! Lifesavers!!!!! Back to work!!

• 5 weeks later...

"It's the car. Chics always dig the guys with the car!"

Name: Al Dinelt

Exercise Completed: Exercise 8: Customized Car?

Date Completed: October 1, 2006

Instructor: TAoA:M

[attachmentid=21028]

Can someone please explain to me how straight edged tires can turn out to be round when rendered?

Thanks...

Al

exercise_8.jpg

Hi, Al - I haven't done that exercise yet, but could the straight-edged tyres be due to the 'Page Up' thing (I don't know what it's called)? If you press the Page Up & Page Down keys, then you get more or less detail in real-time rendering, ie. straight lines become rendered as curves if you press Page Up.

"It's the car. Chics always dig the guys with the car!"

Name: Al Dinelt

Exercise Completed: Exercise 8: Customized Car?

Date Completed: October 1, 2006

Instructor: TAoA:M

[attachmentid=21028]

Can someone please explain to me how straight edged tires can turn out to be round when rendered?

Thanks...

Al

Yup! Your screen is at a low resolution. Simply load your car and hit page up until the tires are round. (I hassled myself crazy with the same problem. I even uploaded screen shots of my octagonal tires. check it out at the bottom of page 5 and top of page 6. I've found that it really helps to go through the past efforts of everybody on this forum to see the problems they've encountered and the solutions they came up with before even diving into a new exercise. There's a lot of information on those pages.)

BTW Cool car!

JohnnyB

Thanks Johnny and Caroline. I will try that when I get home tonight. The funny thing is, is that I did go through the posts as I did not want to duplicate what someone else had done. I looked mainly at the pictures and not at the text. A lesson learned...

Another funny thing is that I was told about the Page Up and Page Down in another post when I was asking about how to improve performance in the chor window. Now if I can just put two and two together...

[edit]

I just tried the Page Up and Page Down. Sure enough, it worked like a charm. I could go all the way from having square tires to nice round ones!

Al

• 3 weeks later...