Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Exercise 13: Show Some Backbone

The one just seemed to be a control panel, so I wasn't sure what to do with it.

I think you're referring to the "FACE" interface that is built into the rig, it's a set of controls that you set up for rigging the face. I haven't gotten to that portion of the video tutorial that I'm putting together for installing the rig, but, Mark Strohbehn has some videos that show how to set up FACE using muscle poses. If you do a search, you should find them.

Hope that helps.

--------------------------------------

EDIT

Mark Strohbehn's videos are located here. The first five parts of the Squetch Rig Installation tutorial can be found here.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope that helps.

EDIT

Mark Strohbehn's videos are located here. The first five parts of the Squetch Rig Installation tutorial can be found here.

Sort of. I'm sure things will be much clearer after I look at the tutorials. Unfortunately, all the links seem to be dead, and I hope that's just a temporary thing. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, all the links seem to be dead, and I hope that's just a temporary thing.

I checked the first four of Mark's tutorials and the first Squetch Rig Installation tutorial and all of the links worked for me...I don't know what's causing your problem, maybe a setting or firewall or something. If you continue to have a problem downloading them, I can give you some locations that I'm positive are valid.

Unfortunately, all the links seem to be dead, and I hope that's just a temporary thing.

I checked the first four of Mark's tutorials and the first Squetch Rig Installation tutorial and all of the links worked for me...I don't know what's causing your problem, maybe a setting or firewall or something. If you continue to have a problem downloading them, I can give you some locations that I'm positive are valid.

Thanks for checking the links. I checked the first one this morning, and it worked just fine (Darn those internets). Its the web, so these things happen. Lets file it under "or something" since I run my firewall :P

I also got a chance to play with the skeleton more. I was on a tear to get through the ToA:M exercises, so I wasn't as diligent hitting the rig like I should have. Once I got past the view I got when I opened the skeleton and re-parsed the directions, I was able to get the main skeleton attached to the model, if not fully rigged. It seems the bones are named a bit differently but I'm sure the links will elighten me even more.

Again, thanks for your help and patience, I'm looking forward to looking at those .mov files.

I'm missing something here.

I am no longer using the squetch skeleton, but following TAoAM book.

I do not see a visible icon next to my nulls in the PWS. This makes working with the nulls kinda hard. Is there a setting I'm missing? I looked and I couldn't find anything and even selected the advanced options under Tools/Options.

So any pointers would help out a lot.

Thanks in advance.

RESOLUTION

Looking at the squetch skeleton tutoria, I have seen that nulls no longer seem to have the eye icon to hide them. And, since Nulls do not get assigned control points, which is one of the reasons to hide them, this makes sense.

My freshly boned boneless Thom will be arriving shortly!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Name: Al Dinelt

Exercise Completed: Exercise 13: Show Some Backbone

Date Completed: October 22, 2006

Instructor: TAoA:M

Did this exercise today and after adding the Resolute Walk, I played around with motion blur and reflectivity. One thing I noticed is that the motion blur did not show up in the reflection of Thom.

Are there any other tutorials or documentation files on the different types of bones and how to set them up? (e.g. Balance Feet Level, Left Arm Hinge, etc.)

Thanks...

Al

[attachmentid=21635]

exercise_13.mov

• 4 weeks later...

Name: Caroline Begbie

Exercise: Exercise 13 - Show Some Backbone

Date Completed: 18th November 2006

The main thing I learned in this exercise is that you don't have to model in grey! (I know, everybody else already knows it.) I've been making a model that's up to 3796 patches now, and every time I made patches, I would group and change the surface colour of the group. BUT if on the model properties you change the surface colour, new patches are that colour. (Du-uh - I feel stupid! But I thought I'd post in case someone else had the same problem)

Thom's happy about it, anyway!

[attachmentid=22357]

Exercise13.mov

• 2 months later...

Name: Joseph Gamblin (Achilles Desire)

Exercise Completed: Exercise 13

Date Completed: January 20, 2007

Instructor: None / Online Video tutorial

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

I really wanted to use the squetch rig, but so far the only tutorials I've been able to find are the video ones (and I can't seem to find any on the FACE) and it's been taking forever to watch a few seconds, pause, switch to A:M, reproduce the step, go back to the video, yadda yadda yadda. I'm not giving up on the squetch, but I have started making myself a written tutorial on the steps. When I get finished, I'll post it here so people can print it out. Don't know about everyone else, but it helps me to have video and written directions (plus a big guy to keep me on task).

Anyways, long story short, I used the 2001 skeleton just so I could get on to the next project. In the last year, I've moved, my second son was born, had a computer crash, and darn it, I am still going to get this certification so I can get to my boot camp already.

post-7177-1169306774_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Joseph,

Don't lose any sleep over not using the Squetch Rig. Its definitely a more advanced implentation... more like a Exercise 13.5 than anything. As usage becomes more prevalent you'll see more information and examples to help get through its installation.

As I recall it took about 2 years for the 2001 rig to come on line.

That was with some targeted competitions encouraging its use and the introduction of the cast of characters from TaoA:M you see today.

TaoA:M is in its own way the history of the 2001 rig.

And what a history it has been!

In the last year, I've moved, my second son was born, had a computer crash, and darn it, I am still going to get this certification so I can get to my boot camp already.

Sounds like you've got some history going on too! :D

I appear to be having some difficulty rigging Thom. Everything appears correct, but he walks with a strange (and cute) slight wobble, as if his legs are a bit unsteady. I'm using A:M v.13 (latest vers of 13) and I'm using the 2001 rig. I have attached a side view and front view and a quicktime mov of him walking. Not quite as "resolute" as I was going for ;).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- Michael

post-8824-1169843662_thumb.jpg

post-8824-1169843670_thumb.jpg

Thom_Wobble.mov

Ok. I think I got it. I hope I got it. Did I get it?

Name: Michael Fortunato

Exercise: Ex. 13 - Show Some Backbone

Instructor: Das Book and the already rigged Thom model

Date Completed: 01-26-2006

Comments: After posting my previous post, I decided to look at the already rigged Thom on the CD. After scrutinizing, I think the issues were the Left and Right thigh Orients. They were pointing in funky directions. Now when I pose him, he poses predictably. I am creating a few Actions and will chain them together to test the Thom further this evening. But for now, here's Thom struttin' his stuff.

- Michael

Ex_13_Thom_Rigged.mov

I can't leave this one alone. I'm determined to better understand animating with A:M. I have a very tough time manipulating the Choreography window and timeline. I now know how to successfully chain actions together. However, if I have constrained the model to a path, I do not yet know how to stop the constraint (turn off enforcement, I assume) before the end of the path just as the new action starts and then re-up the enforcement to 100% as that 2nd action is finishing. For instance, I was trying to have Thom walk toward the camera, stop and then jump even closer toward the camera. I wanted this constrained to a path. I can get him to walk and jump, but not stop so he can "prepare" for the jump. When I tried to edit the path's constraint, I kept getting an error message saying that the constraint didn't exist. The good news, is by playing with this, I have really started digging into the timeline. After I finish the TaoA:M, I will immediately dive into the Animation Boot Camp. It's silly to own a program called Animation Master and not be able to animate in it.

Sorry for all these posts today. I just got a little overzealous. But here is Thom with an action I created of him jumping in the air - I call it "Hooray!". I decided to play with animating the diffuse color and animating the camera a bit - since I have yet to actually move the camera. Once I can manipulate the cameras and switch between multiple cameras, I will have made a very significant step forward in terms of "framing" my animations.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

- Michael

Thom_Hooray.mov

• Admin
Sorry for all these posts today. I just got a little overzealous.

Michael,

Please feel free to be as overzealous as you want to be.

Anyone new to rigging is sure to learn from your posting here.

I've only just now seen your post so my apologies right back atchya for not responding earlier.

If there is any consolation it looks like working through the problem has really paid off.

Nice animation BTW!

Name: Jeremiah M. Faries

Exercise Completed: #13: Show Some Backbone

Date Completed: Jan 30, 2007

Remarks: Thom is rigged with the 2001 rig. I smoothed most of the joint motion (and belly) with cp weights and just had to use a little smartskin on the calf motion. Thom wanted to try out his new bones on the golf course. As a child I was fascinated by flipbooks and I have an old instructional flipbook of Tony Jacklin swinging his club so I used that as a reference to teach Thom how to golf. He has no fingers so it had to be "air golf". I constrained his left hand, forearm, and bicep using translate and aim at constaints (to the right hand)... learned that from shaggy :).

exercise_13_thom_golf.mov

ITS GOTTA PEE SEIZER THOM!

Ryan Krysiak

Exercize 13

February 1st 2007

pretty good at rigging in the first place, hard to attach an already made skel though. sorry for the quality and length, my computer takes a while to render

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o204/nu...=rigginthom.flv

Name Al Jolly

Exercise Completed #13 Show Some Backbone

Date Completed: Feb 8, 2007 :D

PC update Complete (Now i got Some the power) for the next two or so years...... ;);)

19" LCD monitor

Intel Pentium D Processor 915 w/ two processing cores at 2.8Ghz

2048MB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM memory

Enormous 250GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive

Integrated ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Graphics

256MB of shared video memory

Aj2_Girl_Resolute_Walk.mov

• 1 month later...

Name: Ralf Kampp

Excersice Completed: #13 (Show Some Backbone)

Date Completed: March 18, 2007

Remarks: I again used the model of my daughter from the face modelling exercise, gave her a body (taken from Eddie from the library and adjusted it) and applied the library skeleton. Because I have modified the skeleton a bit, the library actions did not work well, so I had to create a walk myself.

analena_walk_2.mov

That turned out really well. The walk slides a bit, but you were adventurous trying out a skirt. That's not cloth is it?

Can she smile yet? :D

Yes, it slides a bit; maybe I get it a bit better. No, it's not cloth, it's just weighed CPs influenced differently by both thighs and the pelvis (and a little bit smart skin I guess). Regarding the smile: I could not believe how hard this could be! I actually didn't manage a satisfying smile yet. I just can't form the lips convincingly :-)

• Admin

Ralf,

How long did you say you've been using A:M???

You are making some serious strides in your work (pun intended!).

You 'get it' in ways that others often don't.

This shows in your attitude and is demonstrated in your work.

I'd critique but I'm enjoying your work and style too much to ruin it.

Refinement will come with time.

Keep it up! I predict you'll go far.

Ralf,

How long did you say you've been using A:M???

Hi Rodney. I bought A:M about 2 or 3 months ago. The really good tutorials/exercises and a little practice in the past with a polygon based 3D tool supported my progress. I actually am surprised how easy animation is with A:M and that is what drives me; together with my already long lasting desire to do animation.

I'd critique but I'm enjoying your work and style too much to ruin it.

Refinement will come with time.

Keep it up! I predict you'll go far.

I can stand constructive critique, don't worry (at least as long as you also mention some positive things :-) ). The same to Caroline: I have always felt your remarks inspriring, helping me to improve.

• Admin
I can stand constructive critique, don't worry (at least as long as you also mention some positive things :-) ).

Deals off then. :P

There will be no positive criticism around here!!!

I didn't mean to imply that I had a critique as much as I could look for something to critique.

In that vein I'd probably concentrate on refinements in modeling and porportion.

But good grief man... you've owned A:M for only 2-3 months!

The other side of the equation is that you have created a model of your daughter in your own style.

Something to be proud of for sure. The pink shoes are a great touch too.

I'd like to think your daughter approved that.

Okay. Positive... positive... gotta accent the positive.

Lets see:

Modeled a character. (Your daughter) Check

Fully rigged a character. (with your own variation on 2001 rig no less) Check

Created your own walk cycle to go with a character. Check.

Added cute little pink shoes and pony tails. Check.

Hmmm.... Nope, I can't think of a single positive thing to say.

Perhaps you'll give me a raincheck on that? ;)

As I said... I'm VERY impressed.

Keep it up Ralf.

I can stand constructive critique, don't worry (at least as long as you also mention some positive things :-) ).

Deals off then. :P

There will be no positive criticism around here!!!

Hmm, hope I get everything right. Maybe I messed up the words "critique" and "criticism", I'm no native speaker. Maybe I got something wrong. What I wanted to say is that I am always grateful for tips for improvement (which is positive criticism in my eyes).

And thanks for your laud, it keeps me going :D

Name: Big E

Excersice Completed: #13 (Show Some Backbone)

Date Completed: March 24, 2007

Comments: None to think of. The book was straight forward. The online tutorial was right on. Its seems the only problem for me is my Cd is starting to take a dump on me. Not sure why, but my manipulator button to drag the item stopped doing what it was suppose to do. I dont know what it did, all i noticed was it too a bone from the inside an sent it to its hand. This was all in top view trying to aline the bones with the middle of the arm. I then went to first person view to see the whole left arm at my models feet. Then i figured id just hit undo an try again, but it took my bones an started to rotate them up the arm before going back up top.

Since project 10, im starting to have alot of weird issues with the program.

P.S.S I think im bringing the toon look back in LoL....

Tom_with_bones...mov

• Admin

For those opting to work with the Squetch Rig you'll definitely want to check this out!

Squetch Rig - Action Install

Be patient. Documentation and examples of how to best use these new tools will be forthcoming.

Dive in, test things out, get involved and learn while everything is still in the early stages of development.

You'll be glad you did and will benefit more from your experience and understanding than others who just use the tools.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

New technology has a way of creating new experts.

For those wanting to get ahead now is the time.

Momentarily in the Rigging & Relationships Forum Mark Skodecek, David Simmons and others will be walking everyone through installation of the Squetch Rig via Posable Squetch Rig - Action Install.

Sound complicated?

It is... and yet it isn't.

If you want to eventually animate your own characters you'll want to have them rigged.

And the Squetch Rig is just the rig to do it with.

The Squetch Rig is quite complicated but that's what gives you more options in animation.

Up until now its been quite a task to install. Only the truly dedicated (or desperate) might try.

Now Hash Inc has teamed with Mark Skodecek and David Simmons to create an installer for the Squetch Rig.

Its said not only to be easy... the claim is that its fun!

If you are working your way through TaoA:M you'll want to be involved in this online walkthrough.

Learn more about the Squetch Rig, learn how to install it... have fun.

...and get credit for Exercise 13 in the process. :)

Look for the announcement from the Rigging & Relationships forum soon.

Edit: Make sure you check out Mark Skodecek's 2008 Rig!

You may want to install it rather than the 2001.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Name: This is a forum where everyone knows my name, so why bother? :P

Exercise: 13 - Grow *cough* Show some backbone.

Teacher: The Book again. I used the 2001 rig before I looked here and found the squelch rig. I had been wondering where to find that! Now I know. ^_^

Notes: The exercise is to add a premade rig to a premade model. And the model was a copy of a pre-rigged one. Now, even though I would do it truthfully, there is no real way to tell that I didn't just pose the pre-rigged Thom. Therefor! I decided to make my own Thom-eske character just for this exercise.

I give you ---- Klieg-Man!

post-8837-1186925668_thumb.jpg

The evil forces of darkness don't stand a chance!

And to show I used the proper rig here's Klieg-Man doing the classic punch. (I just dragged and dropped!)

kliegman.mov

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I was at the very end of the backbone video tutorial when I hit a snag.

when I activated IK arm setup the arms in the video shoot down to the arm targets.

mine did not.

any suggestions on how to fix this so I can complete this lesson please?

screenthom.jpg

Open both your model and the rigged Thom model from the CD. Delete the relationship folder from your model using the delete key on your keyboard. Then drag the relationship folder from the Thom model to your models name in the PWS. If that doesn't work, there is a problem with the rig itself.

Don't import the rig into the model twice or into a model that has a rig installed already, and deleting the duplicate bones. Whether that was the problem in your case, I don't know, only you know that.

I believe I did actually put it in there twice because I didn't see it at first till I figured out to click the bone icon.

Thanks!

myThomjpg.jpg