Hash, Inc. Forums

Exercise 12: Lip Poses

• Admin

The Art of Animation:Master (Online)

Please add your exerices to this topic and others will join in.

The Art of Animation:Master is being completed on a continual basis in the New Users Forum. Meeting deadlines can be an important skill to master early on but this course is self paced to allow each person the flexibility they need to learn the basics of Animation:Master. The course can be completed in as little time as necessary or as much as is needed by each participant.

Note: You may want to download the videos first.

All available Video Tutorials related to TAOA:M can be found on one page:

The Art of Animation Master Video Tutorials

The Art of Animation Master Part II: Modeling

MODELING TAKES TALENT

8 - Customized Car

9 - Flower Power

10 - FW-190 Fighter

11 - Giraffe (No available video tutorial)

12 - Lip Poses

13 - Show Some Backbone (Adding a Skeleton)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exercise 12: Lip Poses

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View Online:

Web (13.6MB)

Download:

Zip (13.9MB)

• 9 months later...

Name:  Den Dotson

Exercises Completed:  Twelve

Date Completed:  Tuesday April 5, 2005

Instructor:  Rodney (don't give me any lip) and that guy on the web tutorials

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: No comment.

Here is a link to the 12th completed exercise:

http://homepage.mac.com/animateden/hash/Lip_Pose_O.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/animateden/hash/Lip_Pose_A_I.jpg

Thanks Rodney,

-Den

post-22-1112727602.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Name: Leo Mitchell

Exercise Completed: # 12 Lip Poses

Date Completed: 25 June 2005

Instructor: web tuts and manual

Remarks: I did this one a while ago, but things have been crazy and I haven't been able to touch Master for a while, but now I am back on track and looking to finish up and move onto better things.

[attachmentid=14592][attachmentid=14593]

post-2835-1140537444_thumb.jpg

post-2835-1140537466_thumb.jpg

• Admin
now I am back on track and looking to finish up and move onto better things.

Leo,

Glad you are back.

I'm looking forward to seeing the 'better things' you are working toward.

The exercises can certainly seem to be a distraction from the projects that we all hope to create but they have definitely proven their worth.

While you are always welcome to post in the New Users Forum I hope you will consider posting in the Work In Progress forum. It is always fun to see projects progress step-by-step toward completion.

Rodney

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Name: Melissa "Elissa" Heldenbergh

Exercises Completed: 12

Date Completed: Oct 13th, 2005

Instructor: A few years of A:M use, the book, and web tutorials, plus also doing the mentor program with Paul Daley. David Rogers book... Jeff Lew's DVD.

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

Time traveling Eddie ran into himself! Lip Posing can be fun, I forget this.

post-165-1129236167_thumb.jpg

I try the lippose for another model, and as far as I followed the instructions I can't overcome the problem

that sometimes the magnetic mode works, and sometimes not.

This is quit irrittating, because I can't trace the failure.

First times after following the exercise it worked quit well.

Then , when in magnetic mode, the programm just keeps moving one clipnode.(?)

Sometimes the surounding ring appears, sometimes not.

When I wait, I still get the same message:Translate controll points

What do I do wrong, because I just follow the same acts as in the exercise?

:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Name:Marc Vancouillie

Exercise completed #12 lip poses

Date completed 11/24/05

Instructor:t.a.o.AM book and reading

in this topic what people have done before me.

Remarks:I had some problems with the decals that I have

aplied on the t shirts.When I safe and re open the project

the decals are not visible on the models and the choreography

anymore.However the decals and the stamps are showing up in

the project workspace.I can overcome this only by removing

the decals in the pws,reload them and re aplying them before

I do a render to disk.

Strange. :blink: [attachmentid=11638]

lip_poses.jpg

• Admin

I do a render to disk.

Strange.

Strange indeed.

Are you saying they don't show up in realtime *and* in final render?

If you would care to upload the project file we could have several people test it out and post their results.

In TAoA:M News - I like the toy concept that you have the Ed twin's in. :)

Rodney

I do a render to disk.

Strange.

Strange indeed.

Are you saying they don't show up in realtime *and* in final render?

If you would care to upload the project file we could have several people test it out and post their results.

In TAoA:M News - I like the toy concept that you have the Ed twin's in. :)

Rodney

Hi Rod.

Everything is fine now.There was a problem with the image that I have made

in photoshop.I have remade the "o" decall in photoshop for testing and it works.

I have made a 24 bits transparent tga image and a 32 bits transparant with alphachannel.

AM works perfectly with that.My first decal was not transparent,may be that was the problem.

Greetings

Marc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Name: Jody Krivohlavek

Exercise Completed: Exercise 12

Date Completed: January 2, 2006

Instructor: AM Handbook, Video Tutorial and everyone that's ever posted to these forums.

(Been around since the Playmation days )

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

The "O" came out a little creased in the cheeks, but otherwise they are okay.

LipPoses.mov

LipPose01.jpg

LipPose02.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exercise 12 completed

Name: Bob Koonce

Exercise Completed: Lip Poses

Date Completed:

Instructor: Individuals on forum, TAoA:M, Video tutorials, and other material.

Remarks/Suggestions for improvement: None at this time

Any comments or constructive criticism will be appreciated.

Thankx,

Bob Koonce B)

• Admin
Mike Dalton

Exercises Done: 12

Completed: March 6th 2006

Comments: This one could probably be removed from the book.

I'm curious what you would suggest might replace it. Also what is the primary rationale for removal?

I think it could be enhanced or even merged with the dopesheet or pose slider exercises but it's pretty essential information for anyone that wants to set up thier own characters with lipsync.

I could easily see an exercise detailing how to use the FACE setup being added to TAoAM.

I think it can be eliminated because it teaches no new concepts. It's CP manipulation, which is done in many, many other exercises. One could argue that the purpose is to create a natural looking face despite CP manipulation, however "Eddie" is an extremely poor model for this type of work. As for suggestions for replacement - use a different model. I think even "Shaggy" would be a better choice for good looking mouth manipulation.

Since you mentioned the dopesheet exercise, that one can disappear too. Does anyone use the dopesheet? Any of the Fellows? It's an inferior way to do animation, and it's like teaching someone to walk with defective crutches.

I think it can be eliminated because it teaches no new concepts. It's CP manipulation, which is done in many, many other exercises. One could argue that the purpose is to create a natural looking face despite CP manipulation, however "Eddie" is an extremely poor model for this type of work. As for suggestions for replacement - use a different model. I think even "Shaggy" would be a better choice for good looking mouth manipulation.

Since you mentioned the dopesheet exercise, that one can disappear too. Does anyone use the dopesheet? Any of the Fellows? It's an inferior way to do animation, and it's like teaching someone to walk with defective crutches.

Eddie seems like he needs some changes to the spline layout to make facial posing better. I imagine that a character from TWO will be used in future versions of this exercise.

As far as dopesheets go, I think they can be used effectively...just not the way people have been using them. I think Jason Osipa's method is the best way to go, but, if you set up a dictionary correctly it would shortcut some of the lip sync in some circumstances (like initial blocking). You would need to put phonemes in the dictionary and not type in the dialogue as words, but type them in as the phoneme (using the same method of determining which phonemes as you would visemes). You would also need to make each phoneme pose as extreme as it would ever be (or make three or four levels of each phoneme), then after typing in the string of phonemes/sentence going back in and turn the percentages down to the level you want them. Finally, you make another pass or two to get rid of anything that looks mechanical or doesn't fit the delivery about the movement. I haven't tried it, but it works in my head...and it's probably less work to just use visemes.

Maybe instead of just having the exercise about making a mouth pose, making it about animating a sentence of dialogue? Of course the problem I would run into is that the method I use is in a book that Jason Osipa sells...that's the problem with any proprietary bit of information, it's tough to do anything except say "buy the book" or "buy the tutorial".

Sorry, just thinking with the keyboard a little.

• Admin

I guess were gonna haffa demonstrate effective use of dopesheets one of these days huh? ;)

The exercise (Exercise 7 that is) hits the basic usage of dopesheets. Only the artist can decide whether the tool works for them. If you don't even get introduced to it I think it would effectively remove the tool from the toolbox. While 'the majority' might not use it the few who do have to know how to find it.

As far as Eddie is concerned. I can't say why he was chosen but I'd guess because it forces new users to keep it simple. A more articulate model wouldn't allow for that. Note that I'm not saying we shouldn't go that route but building from simple to more complex would be the ideal.

We'll get there eventually but wishing it to be so isn't an option... someone's gonna haffa build it.

I'm not the one to get 'er done at the moment however.

Thanks for the input Mike! I may disagree with you about the usefulness of dopesheets but I do highly value your opinion. If those that have been working in animation for awhile don't use Dopesheets and build their own lip poses I imagine new users won't care to do it either.

To be effective we have to demonstrate the tools usefulness.

I think Dopesheets are perhaps one of the most undervalued (and therefore underused) features in Animation:Master.

In other news and reviews...

John (Booker),

Personally I'd like to see an 'ewwww!' lip pose.

Nasty gum chewers. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I guess were gonna haffa demonstrate effective use of dopesheets one of these days huh? ;)

Thanks for the input Mike! I may disagree with you about the usefulness of dopesheets but I do highly value your opinion. If those that have been working in animation for awhile don't use Dopesheets and build their own lip poses I imagine new users won't care to do it either.

To be effective we have to demonstrate the tools usefulness.

I think Dopesheets are perhaps one of the most undervalued (and therefore underused) features in Animation:Master.

Personally, I'm having trouble imagining it some other way. I simply can't imagine doing my current project without them and not add a year to the schedule. I've got total running time of about 70 minutes of video, and there is dialog during about 95% of the total time. That a lot to lip-sync.

For better or worse, I think I've learned almost every in-and-out of dopesheets. I've got my own procedures that are quite different than in the basic tutorials, but they've proved effective. Oh, and I get to do whole collection again, only this time around, in Spanish. (Didn't someone once ask if the phoneme dictionary was available in Spanish? Ask me again in a couple months.)

• 2 months later...

Name: James M Glover

Exercise Completed: Exercise 12 & 13

Date Completed: 27 July, 2006

From my WIP thread: Can this count?

it still needs a lot of cleaning up

[attachmentid=18797]

Man, its hard to get video with sound under a meg...

I feel its still too rough to upload anywhere else...

Name: James M Glover

Exercise Completed: Exercise 12 & 13

Date Completed: 27 July, 2006

From my WIP thread: Can this count?

it still needs a lot of cleaning up

[attachmentid=18797]

Man, its hard to get video with sound under a meg...

I feel its still too rough to upload anywhere else...

That's some very cool extra effort, James! It could be more extreme, but, this is a beginning exercise...it definitely exceeds the requirements as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not the one to make that determination.

As far as file size, if you have Quicktime Pro you could use H.264 video compression with AAC audio. Without any trouble at all I got your clip down to 586k without any apparent loss of quality.

Congrats on the exercise!

That's some very cool extra effort, James! It could be more extreme, but, this is a beginning exercise...it definitely exceeds the requirements as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not the one to make that determination.

As far as file size, if you have Quicktime Pro you could use H.264 video compression with AAC audio. Without any trouble at all I got your clip down to 586k without any apparent loss of quality.

Congrats on the exercise!

Thanks, and thanks for the tip...

Unfortunately, I run win xp x64, and the latest QuickTime breaks

compatability. And their offical stance is they don't support x64.

I read their new installer wont even run on x64, but haven't tried it

for myself...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Name: Al Dinelt

Exercise Completed: Exercise 12: Lip Poses

Date Completed: October 22, 2006

Instructor: TAoA:M

A couple of lip poses, an A-I pose and an OOO pose. I was watching an old war movie last week with Robert Vaughn in it and noticed that as he talked, even his lower eye lids moved. Since then I have been watching people talk and have notice all sorts of facial movement, like their noses bobbing up and down and nostrils flaring. Tried to incorporate some extra sublte facial movement in my poses, like in the 'Home Alone' OOO pose, like bringing in the cheeks a bit.

[attachmentid=21631]

exercise_00.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Caroline Begbie

Exercise: Exercise 11.5 & 12 - Face and Lip Poses

Date Completed: 6th November 2006

This is my son Robin. I'm not posting the original, in case someone accuses him of having a wonky spline. :D (The one thing I've never accused him of. But wait... maybe...) So all wonky splines are mine.

As I couldn't find anywhere to post 11.5, I thought I'd play with lip poses on it. It's interesting that when I came to animate it, some of the splines were in completely the wrong place. So that's something to remember when building models. Al is absolutely right, that in doing an AI, the whole face under the eyes move.

Is there any limit on how many CPs you can move in a pose?

The eyes are Colin Freeman's amazing Uber-Eyes.

I found DeskPins useful for keeping little reference photos on top of A:M.

[attachmentid=22015]

post-9673-1162774290_thumb.jpg