Hash, Inc. Forums

Exercises 9: Flower Power

Its funny I can't upload the quicktime movie....what a shame....Maybe its a timeout error or something...

Here is a jpeg of the flower. :angry:

Any file that's over 1MB in size cannot be loaded in the post.

Either reduce the file size by rendering in Sorensen 3 instead of Animation, or zip the file.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its funny I can't upload the quicktime movie....what a shame....Maybe its a timeout error or something...

Either reduce the file size by rendering in Sorensen 3 instead of Animation, or zip the file.

Thanks Dhar!

I am going to rerender it in Sorensen 3.

Nice one m8.

Hi Everyone,

I might as well get right to the point, I'm making a mini film and I'm creating a bouquet for the film. I have my own flower from this exercise, but instead of just copying it or modify it (I certainly could, but I think this would be cooler) I thought it would be fun if some of these unique flowers were in the film. I'd really appreciated if anyone donated (via PM, or email) their flower towards the bouquet, I'll make sure to put you in the credits. ;) And if It's OK with the donors I'll post the finished bouquet here for the Hash community.

Thank you,

Josh

Thanks Dhar!

I am going to rerender it in Sorensen 3.

Nice one m8.

Following Dhar’s advice, the file is much lighter now. So here is the flower doing a courtesy.

03FinalFlower.mov

Hi Everyone,

I might as well get right to the point, I'm making a mini film and I'm creating a bouquet for the film. I have my own flower from this exercise, but instead of just copying it or modify it (I certainly could, but I think this would be cooler) I thought it would be fun if some of these unique flowers were in the film. I'd really appreciated if anyone donated (via PM, or email) their flower towards the bouquet, I'll make sure to put you in the credits. ;) And if It's OK with the donors I'll post the finished bouquet here for the Hash community.

Thank you,

Josh

No problem, just leave your email address and I mail it to you as a A:M project file.

Good luck with collecting all the other flowers and have fun making your film.

Fybs.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you,

Josh

yeah same here, i would love it if you would let me put mine in.

Hey Guys! Thank you!

Sorry I didn't leave my e-mail adress----DOH! :wacko:

It's josh.animation@gmail.com (this is my secondary account, that I freely post around the internet, so spammers are welcome. ;))

Thanks a bunch guys. :)

-Josh

P.S. Last call for anyone else---

Atomike,

Your flower came out great. I especially like the effect on the petals. You have a slight purple hue to them that I think adds to the flower over all. Did you do that with lighting or by adding a color material?

Once again great job.

• 4 weeks later...

Ken,

Nice animation of a dying flower. Really the only thing that I got me were, it moves kinda fast (maybe adjust your timing to make him die a little slower. Other than that great job.

Keep going

Leo B)

Way to go with the dancing flower Bob. Great job. Really the only thing I would say is that you could have added some secondary motion to the flower petals. Other than that, great job.

Keep up the good work,

Leo

Hello AM users. My 11-year old son and I have both discovered Animation Master and are thrilled with the things we've been able to do. However, we've tried the Flower Power Exercise and realized that there are still some basics of modeling that we haven't learned yet. We found that using the lathe to create the stem automatically creates a surface that can be shaded. However, when we create a flat leaf, rename the group and attempt to put a color on the surface, we still get nothing but a wire frame of the leaf. Is there some finishing step that we need to make in order to create a paintable surface for the leaf. The same problem happened with the petals.

At this time, I am not permitted to upload the model we created with the problem.

Thanks for the help,

George

George and son,

Not sure what your asking but from what I understand if you press the 9 key you will enter shaded mode and the splines an control points will dissapear and the material will show on the leaf you created.

George and son,

Not sure what your asking but from what I understand if you press the 9 key you will enter shaded mode and the splines an control points will dissapear and the material will show on the leaf you created.

Bob,

Thanks for addressing the question. Yes, we do know about putting the rendering view into shaded mode. However, when we do that we only see the shaded stem but the wire frame and control points of the leaf just disappear. It is as if we didn't "close" the leaf up properly so that it would be shaded. Does that make any sense? We played around some more tonight and think we understand it better. We weren't properly connecting all the control points to make a single leaf. I guess it wouldn't shade the portions together until they were all joined as one. Thanks for the help.

George and Son

Of course it might always be the problem of what view your in...if the model of the leaf was flat (2D) And you where on its side shot....you would not see the leaf unless you looked at it from a Top veiw......

oops jsut read the ending of your post....nvm my post then.

George and Son,

Try building the leaf again, I am not sure of what you did or didn't do.

Have you downloaded the video totorials yet? They are on the hash.com's main page in the side bar under Video Tutorials, they have realy helped me out.

Good luck :)

Bob Koonce B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Name: Tyson Oswald

Exercerise Completed: Flower Power EX #9

Instructor: Mnanual and video tutorial guy #1

Comments/Suggestions: Took me a couple tries to get his one to come out well. I still have issues with some of the bones and CPs especially the petals being connected. I assume more advanced techniques will be shown in furture lessons on how to assign bones. Overall it was a fun exercise and I enjoyed it. Looking forward to #10.

EDIT: I was gooing for a wilted look, it londa looks like sparagras from the stem

EX9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings.

I'm working on exercise #9: Flower Power. I still have to smart skin it, but keep running into a weird problem. It almost seems like it is trying to ray-trace each movement. Hundreds of radiating lines appear with every movement I make in the Action window. Did I forget to uncheck/disable something?

Here is a screen capture.

[attachmentid=16917]

Oh yeah, huge chunks of color also appear randomly.

It really seems to slow things down. I hope someone can figure this out.

Aloha

post-8932-1148346798_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Robakyo,

Strange... I can't say I've seen that before.

Perhaps you can compress the file (Zip or something similar) and let us have a look?

If it's trying to render perhaps you have one the real time rendering icons toggled down?

Edit: Your image seems to indicate that you have the 'Render Mode (Q)' icon toggled on. Turn that off and that might get you back in business.

Edited by Rodney

Robakyo,

Strange... I can't say I've seen that before.

Perhaps you can compress the file (Zip or something similar) and let us have a look?

If it's trying to render perhaps you have one the real time rendering icons toggled down?

Edit: Your image seems to indicate that you have the 'Render Mode (Q)' icon toggled on. Turn that off and that might get you back in business.

Rodney,

Thank you for finding the solution so quickly! Yup, I'm a newbie! :lol: I will follow your recommendations. I'm really getting into A:M this time. This software Rocks!

Aloha

Pictures (screen caps) can really help to narrow down the variables.

Glad to see that was the problem.

Hi Rodney.

I guess I still don't get it. I am continuing to experience these anomalies. I have zipped the file. Should I just reset A:M to default settings? Should I be posting these questions elsewhere in the forums? I guess I'm just an analog man living in a digital world! :blink:

[attachmentid=16922]

Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Aloha

flower_power.prj.zip

• Admin

I'm trying to reproduce the problem but can't.

Your file seems to work fine.

It's probably something fairly obvious but I'm not sure.

Does the anomoly appear in exactly the same place no matter what angle/view you are looking from?

The coloring looks a little like bones look when viewed from an awkward angle. I don't see any stray bones in your project however.

Do the anomolies only appear in Bones Mode?

Maybe take a look at it from the top view.

I'm trying to reproduce the problem but can't.

Your file seems to work fine.

It's probably something fairly obvious but I'm not sure.

Does the anomoly appear in exactly the same place no matter what angle/view you are looking from?

The coloring looks a little like bones look when viewed from an awkward angle. I don't see any stray bones in your project however.

Do the anomolies only appear in Bones Mode?

Maybe take a look at it from the top view.

Rodney,

You are correct about the Bones mode. Modelling the flower produced no artifacts. Once in Bones mode the kaleidoscope show began. Every view (2,4,5,6,8,and 7) , whether zoomed in or zoomed way out exhibits this effect. Looking in the Project work tree, under objects, there are no lights. I thought that maybe that was the problem, but no lights.

The big swatches of color appear on the right side exclusively, regardless of the view. The lines are mostly, but not always on the left.

It is probably something so basic, but that is where I am. Again, should I just reset to default? :blink:

I truly appreciate your time and energy to help me with this puzzle.

Aloha

[You are correct about the Bones mode. Modelling the flower produced no artifacts. Once in Bones mode the kaleidoscope show began. Every view (2,4,5,6,8,and 7) , whether zoomed in or zoomed way out exhibits this effect. Looking in the Project work tree, under objects, there are no lights. I thought that maybe that was the problem, but no lights.

Lights will only show in the Choreography

The big swatches of color appear on the right side exclusively, regardless of the view. The lines are mostly, but not always on the left.

i think Dhar is on to something about the graphic card settings

i know 3ds doesn't work well on my computer ( look under tools/options/global...at the bottom realtime render and a pull down menu ...change if you have the chose and then restart A.M.)

It is probably something so basic, but that is where I am. Again, should I just reset to default? :blink:

I truly appreciate your time and energy to help me with this puzzle.

i used your project and opened a new chor and rendered this of your flower....the only thing that puzzled me was that even tho your stem looks fine ( round ) it renders with a seem down the middle ( i tried to change the settings on the surface of your stem ...but it always comes out flat lol )

i know i know ( i'm not much help )

just my 2 cp

Steve

p.s. nice flower :D

post-4806-1148401738_thumb.jpg

Lights will only show in the Choreography

i think Dhar is on to something about the graphic card settings

i know 3ds doesn't work well on my computer ( look under tools/options/global...at the bottom realtime render and a pull down menu ...change if you have the chose and then restart A.M.)

i used your project and opened a new chor and rendered this of your flower....the only thing that puzzled me was that even tho your stem looks fine ( round ) it renders with a seem down the middle ( i tried to change the settings on the surface of your stem ...but it always comes out flat lol )

i know i know ( i'm not much help )

just my 2 cp

Steve

p.s. nice flower :D

Steve,

Thank you for your advice. I went to tools/options/global, but running on an IntelMac, my only option is OpenGL. My graphics card is 128MB. That is weird about the flat stem. Maybe platform incompatibility or I compressed the project too much. Anyway, I'll do the project again. I'm curious to know if it happens this time. There must be a setting somewhere that I shouldn't have toggled.

I appreciate your "2 cp's". :)

Aloha

Name: Elizabeth S. Borkowski

Exercise Completed: Exercise 9

Date Completed: 5/30/06

Instructor: TAoAM manual, Hash support, and the AM Forums

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: I have two issues with the flower exercise. The first was when I used the duplicator wizard for the 13 petals did not work. The petals duplicated in a circle, but instead of spacing out evenly there seemed to be space at the end to fit two more petals. I just went with it and put in 15 petals and it looks fine, but I am not sure why the 13 did not work in the first place. The second issue is assigning control points then posing my flower . I assigned the base of the top leaf to the stem bone but it still detaches when I move the flower into the curved pose. The other leaf and the petals seem to stay attached ok.

post-8920-1149004014_thumb.jpg

Name: Elizabeth S. Borkowski

Exercise Completed: Exercise 9

Date Completed: 5/30/06

Instructor: TAoAM manual, Hash support, and the AM Forums

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: I have two issues with the flower exercise. The first was when I used the duplicator wizard for the 13 petals did not work. The petals duplicated in a circle, but instead of spacing out evenly there seemed to be space at the end to fit two more petals. I just went with it and put in 15 petals and it looks fine, but I am not sure why the 13 did not work in the first place. The second issue is assigning control points then posing my flower . I assigned the base of the top leaf to the stem bone but it still detaches when I move the flower into the curved pose. The other leaf and the petals seem to stay attached ok.

Hi Elizabeth.

I'm a new user as well, but I've realized that sometimes a control point is sometimes hidden behind another cp. Change views and you might discover that one of the leaf base control points isn't flashing the color of the Bone that you are attempting to assign it to. The first question is beyond me. Mac or PC? I've noticed that the Duplicator Wizard dialog box reverses Extrude and Copy for Mac. :)

I installed v13 beta Universal and although it isn't polished, it rocks! I even used the shaded wireframe mode! I didn't experience the anomalies that previously happened in bones mode. It's a big mystery.

Thank you Rodney, Dhar, and Steve for your help and advice. Here's my finished Flower Power exercise:

[attachmentid=17132]

I know the lighting needs work.

Aloha

post-8932-1149102847_thumb.jpg

Hi Elizabeth.

I'm a new user as well, but I've realized that sometimes a control point is sometimes hidden behind another cp. Change views and you might discover that one of the leaf base control points isn't flashing the color of the Bone that you are attempting to assign it to. The first question is beyond me. Mac or PC? I've noticed that the Duplicator Wizard dialog box reverses Extrude and Copy for Mac. :)

Hi Robakyo and anyone who can answer my questions,

I checked my file and all cps seem to be assigned correctly. I noticed that if I move just the leaves they stay attached, but if I move one of the stem bones that is when they detach. I am wondering if this is fixed by some more advanced feature not covered in the manual. I am afraid this is going to come up again when I try to put a skeleton in my own model I am working on. I use both the Mac and PC. In the flower exercise, I started on the Mac, then worked on it a little on the PC, ran into the petal problem, went back to the Mac and had the same issue, but finished it with my fix.

Hi Robakyo and anyone who can answer my questions,

I checked my file and all cps seem to be assigned correctly. I noticed that if I move just the leaves they stay attached, but if I move one of the stem bones that is when they detach. I am wondering if this is fixed by some more advanced feature not covered in the manual. I am afraid this is going to come up again when I try to put a skeleton in my own model I am working on. I use both the Mac and PC. In the flower exercise, I started on the Mac, then worked on it a little on the PC, ran into the petal problem, went back to the Mac and had the same issue, but finished it with my fix.

Elizabeth,

If your leaves are pulling away from the stem when you move the stem, is the leaf bone truly a child of the stem bone?

The video tutorial for Flower Power clarified the entire process for me. I couldn't wait to get started.

I've found the Video Tutorials page to be invaluable. Most of the tutorials in the book can be found here:

http://www.hash.com/VM/

I just wish someone would do the giraffe tutorial video.

Aloha

If your leaves are pulling away from the stem when you move the stem, is the leaf bone truly a child of the stem bone?

Robakyo,

I checked my file and everything looks correct, parent and children seem in order. I watched the video tutorial again, but I can't seem to find the answers to my problems. :(

Yes, a giraffe tutorial would be nice. I am almost finished with it now, but for the longest time I could not attach the back leg.

Where did you find v13 beta, the universal is for an intel mac? I am not on the intel mac, but I am curious as to where you found out about the beta.

Elizabeth

Robakyo,

I checked my file and everything looks correct, parent and children seem in order. I watched the video tutorial again, but I can't seem to find the answers to my problems. :(

Yes, a giraffe tutorial would be nice. I am almost finished with it now, but for the longest time I could not attach the back leg.

Where did you find v13 beta, the universal is for an intel mac? I am not on the intel mac, but I am curious as to where you found out about the beta.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I remodelled my flower, following the video tutorial carefully, and the problems disappeared. By getting rid of previous incarnations of the Flower Power project, I was able to start with a clean slate. The AM v13 beta can be found here: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22174

Or, if you scroll through the pop-up menu towards the bottom right side of the page, you will find all of the forum topics organized exactly like the opening page of the A:M forums. You will find the AM v13.0 (beta) sub-heading under General Discussion. It's about half of the way down the menu.

Wow, you are already tackling the giraffe? Good luck with your modelling.

Aloha

• 4 weeks later...

Teresa Nord

7/6/06

Online Tutorial & Book

comments- It feels good to finally complete another one of these exercises. It's been quite a while since I did my stuck door one (I skipped a couple). First time I've used the online tutorials and I love them! It's normally pretty easy for me to get confused, but the tutorials helped immensely. I'm going to try to keep plugging my way through these and discipline myself to really learn how to use this program, because it can do fantastic things!

[attachmentid=18027]

post-8492-1152231807_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Pretty.

Great to see you back in TAoA:M Teresa!

Do me a favor though... render to just a little higher quality.

Especially if rendering out to JPG.

That compression is killing an otherwise perfectly healthy flower. :(