Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Fishing for compliments

I just completed a job to produce two one-minute animations about water salinity, osmosis, and fish, for a museum kiosk. I was given the soundtrack, 3ds models of a fresh and saltwater fish, and 10 days to design, model, animate, render (at 1024x768), add close-caption text, and composite the animations. I'm satisfied with the results (the client is thrilled), considering the time limitation (with one person, one computer). I used just about everything in A:M's box of tricks to pull it off.

Low-res renders can be seen here (4MB Sor3 QT):

http://www.digins.com/jack/s2f_small.mov

http://www.digins.com/jack/f2s_small.mov

Here is one of the 2D animatics I threw together very quickly to plan out the animation (with some more amusing ideas that were discarded for more realism):

http://www.digins.com/jack/salt2fresh_2d.mov

post-8-1111345702.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 days...

You are the man! Your client must REALLY be thrilled... to do something like that in that time frame... your client must also be very "hands off"... most of my clients would have turned that timeline into two months just by tweeking the bloody hell out of it...just so I know who's in charge.

I knew as soon as it started that the fishies would die at the end... I was really hoping to see them shrivel up and die or swell up and explode like something from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" or "Scanners"....

...of course you don't want to scare the kids...

;)

Vernon "!" Zehr

your client must also be very "hands off"

He said I had "full creative control", although he did vote for the realistic approach (if I had more time, I would have sold him on a second fish lip-syncing the narration).

I knew as soon as it started that the fishies would die at the end..

At one point I had them turning around swimming back to safe water, but it didn't fit the narration. Also thought about having an "angel" swim away from the lifeless body. In the end I just added a little fade away to soften the effect. I may try animating specularity on the eye as they die too.

where/how/when will it be shown?

The project is for the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center. Don't know when it opens, probably early April.

Did you use caustics or did you fake it somehow?

I cheated. There are only 3 lights: a backlight sun, a seafloor bouncelight sun, and a primary klieg. The primary is the only one casting shadows. I rendered a grayscale noise material, applied it as a transparency decal on a square patch, and animated the patch moving around between the light and the scene. For the freshwater scene, there are two instances of this "caustic gobo" moving around to make the caustics more active and random.

Another neat trick was to use "orient like" with lag to animate the flapping tails and fins - I only had to animate one bone to get a nice whip action on the fins. And I used a repeated action for the longer swimming sections, with the background rendered in a separate layer.

The fish models and textures look great.

Thanks. I had a simple cartoon fish model (the one I used for the winning Q2 '03 Hash animation contest entry) and used Phil Leavens clever 3D rotoscope idea

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12790

to rework that over the 3ds polygon models I received. Then I found hi-res textures on the net, and made good use of the UV editing feature to line those up.

I knew as soon as it started that the fishies would die at the end...

:o:o:o:o:o:o

They're not dead, they're just sleeping...right? Right?!?!

Seriously, though...wow! I am amazed at this being pulled off in 10 days. You need to write a book on the subject!

Write a book indead he should. This thing is awsome. 10 days?! 10 days?! Impossible. Or should I say improbable?

I really thank you for sharing it with us. Isn't that a dangerous thing for you to do though? I mean aren't you under some kind of contract? Well I guess you know more about that than I. But thanks for taking the risk if you are.

Jack didn't mention that he never slept during those 10 days.

Mostly while rendering :)

Some more time-saving tricks I used:

- the coral pieces were just cookie-cut decals on very simple, mostly-flat models.

- the sea grass was a hair material on a single patch under the sea floor (which is why their bases move around a bit instead of staying rooted in one place, oh well). A couple of width keys and color keys kept the appearance from being too boring. The waving was done by setting a few keys on the four corner hair guides.

- depth-of-field effects were done during compositing in Premiere

Great job Jack,

The animation did its job very well, and thanks for the tips.......

I learned something about fish and animation...killing 2 birds with one stone.(Attn:PETA ..that's figuratively not litterally)

Micheal

great job with the movies......now all you need to do next time is convince them to record the dialogue properly. just because its going in a kiosk doesn't mean it should be recorded in a kiosk!! Her voice really lets your work down.

I can see why your client is happy. Congrats.