Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Formula 1 car

Emotive Images

All these fantastic BMW models in progress reminded me that I hadn't finished my Formula 1 car model.

It isn't too far away from being finished. It still needs wheel hubs and brakes, camera housings and a bit of work on the rear diffuser. Other than that, I'm quite happy with it. I will add panel lines using image maps.

The driver model is close to being finished too. Can't quite get the helmet shape right.

I like really dirty images ;-) so the final textures will probably reflect a car that has gone a race distance. No showroom shines for this puppy!

What I would really love to do though is a wet weather shot. Puddles, reflections, rain, particle spray being thrown up from the tyres ... I'm getting giddy just visualising it!!!

-Mark.

post-7-1067201437.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many fantastic car models! Excellent work all around. I have to agree with the others...decals and sponsors. Also, maybe "dirtying" it up a bit. Show some wear and tear. Ripping across a track at over 250mph will do some damage! ;)

Yeah, I love 'em mucky!

One of the best purchases I ever made (besides Animation:Master, of course ... oh, and not to mention the Setup Machine) was the Surface Toolkit from DVGarage. Hundereds of grunge maps and tutorials on how to get the most out of them.

DVGarage - Surface Toolkit

I bought my copy bundled with the colour companion when it was on special offer. It looks a tad pricey now.

But it did make a huge difference to my finished products. One of those quantum leaps forward you wish would happen a lot more often :lol:

I'll let you guys judge the difference, 'cos I'll be using it on this model.

Yes, it's a collection of images and a set of tutorials on how to use them ... not software.

You have to do the creative work yourself which, of course, is the way it should be ;)

There are several Quicktime movies that show step-by-step how they used the Toolkit to make some of the images on the sample page. The Silver Top is the one that sold it for me!

They used to have some free samples in the Lab section and on the page that I linked to in the last post. I think you have to sign up to get access to them, but it is free.

Here is an example of the Surface Toolkit in action on one of my images.

The Bridgstone and Potenza logos were broken up using the images in the toolkit. The wear and rubbing on the tyre is done using it also.

It just allows you to add that extra level of realism more easily. The tutorials were the really valuable part for me and clued me in to techniques and a way of approcahing texturing that I hadn't previously even considered.

post-7-1067368204.jpg

I had considered the CD. With your input, I just might. I have always prefered to hear first hand from an end users perspective. Can you describe some of the images on the CD? Metal, fabric etc...I think this CD would be a nice addition to my A:M tool kit! :)