Hash, Inc. Forums

"Flush"

Guest Nicholas8681

Guest Nicholas8681

*Project discontinued-see reasons below*

Another A:M user and myself will shortly be working on the creation of a short film in A:M. This thread will cover its progression. The first thing will be some concepts/designs.

Attached is a simple concept of a scene from the film. We'll release more details as the film progresses.

Brian

post-7-1110876444.jpg

Guest Nicholas8681

To keep things going. Now I've done a quick viz using my poly modeler of choice. I personally find modeling faster in poly modelers, I'll then bring the model into A:M as a 3d rotoscope. For now it will serve well as some material and lighting tests. Either as a prop in A:M or in my poly modeler.

Sorry I cannot reveal the story now. If I do why would you watch the film ;) More to come. I'll try and update daily.

Brian

post-7-1110908577.jpg

Guest Nicholas8681

I'm just faster with polymodeling. Building that took me about 5 minutes. As opposed to modeling it in A:M. Having to deal with creases, artifacts, bugginess etc. Rather previz and then transfer over and deal with all that. Keep in mind at the moment I'm using AM2000 so waiting on my update to arrive. Thats the main reason. 2000 had issues with spline alignment that I'd rather not deal with at the moment.

Brian

I appreciate the effort of producing a short, but...

Seems odd to be showing off a wip done in another application. AM's modeler is one of it's strengths. If you plan to "trace" this model in AM later....

...how is that easier than just doing it in AM in the first place? It seems very confusing to me... and a freakin' ton of extra work.

You may want to hold off posting too many images until you get to a point where they are relevant to AM.

Just a thought.

Vernon "!" Zehr

I'll then bring the model into A:M as a 3d rotoscope.

Just a question - What is a 3D rotoscope?

What I can understand - you can only import .3ds files - or is it possible to import other file formats?

What I can understand:

.3ds files you can import as Props - and you can not edit them!

or you can import a .3ds file using a Plug-in and you can then edit the model.

:unsure:

...how is that easier than just doing it in AM in the first place?

heyvern tells us that it is better to do the modelling in A:M

but if you have modeled a house in a CAD-program with a lot of rooms with certain dimensions I believe it will save a lot of time to import it into A:M, or?

:unsure:

Guest Nicholas8681

You know. Other programs besides A:M exist. Feature films are not made with just maya, or just softimage, or just "in" studio production software. The first image was a photoshop image. That wasn't done in A:M. Is that ok to post? I'm showing my workflow. You may find it odd. But as Mr. MM says. It helps with keeping things proportional. I'm beginning to wonder if purchasing A:M was something I should have done. The community seems so closed off and limited to A:M only.

In response to Mr. MM. A 3d rotoscope is a method of tracing over existing 3d geometry to speed up the modeling process in A:M. Essentially you import a .3ds file and make it non-selectable. Then you just create your splines over the model and get to work. Its fast and very effective.

I've debated on attempting to direct import the models. But A:M has such an inadequate conversion of polys, I think its better just to trace. If I had to request one feature for A:M it would be a powerful import/export function. Would help make it more productive I think. But don't get your splines in a twist. Its just my opinion.

Brian

I think it's just a matter of practice. Once you're more familiar with modeling in AM, you'll probably not need the poly modeler anymore. That's not to say import/export isn't useful. Good luck and don't stay away too long.

Edit: Hopefully the edit means you've calmed down. ;)

Guest Nicholas8681

I'm a little calmer. I just feel a lot of the users here are very egotistical.

I'm actually pretty good at modeling in A:M when it doesn't crash (using AM2000 at the moment, it has issues with my graphics card)

I'm glad for the few friendly users. Thanks Ken.

Brian

I'm just one guy with one opinion... not a really strong opinion.

Did my post cause some trouble? Really sorry. Didn't mean to upset anyone. My apologies.

I'm usually a kind gentle son of a mennonite minister... sometimes I don't think things through... it happens.

Vernon "!" Zehr

No problem remote...

I use poly apps for rotoscope images myself from time to time.

It just seemed to be more of a "rant" about "trouble" using AM than a constructive alternate modeling technique.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Guest Nicholas8681

Maybe less assuming would be nice. It seems to be what everyone is doing. I just am faster visualizing things that way. And works better for scale.

Brian

• Admin
You know. Other programs besides A:M exist.

Brain,

I think the current frustration doesn't have anything to do with the existance of other applications. Probably more to do with the fact that a lot (most?) people that hang out in the A:M Forum use... Animation:Master... many exclusively.

Couple that with the long standing rule of not discussing other software in the company' forum and you might see where conflicts arise.

You do understand this right?

If this was CGTalk or a general 3D/CG forum... the sky would perhaps be the limit.

Sorry to here you've abandoned your project if you really have.

Best,

Rodney

I'm beginning to wonder if purchasing A:M was something I should have done. The community seems so closed off and limited to A:M only.

heh, I've hadmy problems with the community. Theres alot of nice people and then there is alot of really meanies and people who are stuck up....just wait till you meet David Rogers (Obnouak) or howver u spell it. OOPS did I say David Rogers out loud ;)

IMO it's impossible to totally sum someone up from what they write on a forum. In fact it's sometimes possible to get the total wrong impression....if they don't use smilies/have a strange sense of humour/etc etc.