Hash, Inc. Forums

Exercise 5: Take A Walk

I was very happy with my walk cycle for Lesson 6. Even though it wasn't part of the lesson I felt much more comfortable with it and I felt it looked right as well.

That said, this part of it:

I just reread that and I'm confusing myself. To put it short, I would adjust the stride length but I'm not sure exactly the right way to do that without recreating the choregraphy and path from scratch every time I make a stride length adjustment.

No. I never figured out how you could adjust a walk cycle's stride length while in a choreography.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
Comments: My rascally wabbit looks like he tried to run across the road one to many times :) Sorry for the file size I think I accidentally did it in VGA instead of Low.

I'm going to guess that copy/paste/mirror didn't mirror quite right.

• 2 weeks later...

Lesson 5: Take A Walk

Two! in one weekend! After the frustration with the pitch thing this was a breeze. Except of course copying the first frame as last frame as a mirror, whoops. Fixed that, but figured it out pretty fast.

I think I should have put more space between keyframes to slow him down, but it worked okay. I also should have changed my path so you can see, the same sway in the ears the tutorial suggests I added to his tail. And looking at it post I see I put too much grip on his hands. Again, things I see I did that I need to be conscious of next time.

Lesson 6: Take A Walk

• Hash Fellow
I think I should have put more space between keyframes to slow him down, but it worked okay. I also should have changed my path so you can see, the same sway in the ears the tutorial suggests I added to his tail. And looking at it post I see I put too much grip on his hands. Again, things I see I did that I need to be conscious of next time.

The path constraint will automatically squish or stretch the timing of a cycle so that the character will take enough steps to cover the distance of the path.

If he has to cover the path in a short time the steps will be very quick.

Y0u can control it directly however by looking at the Properties window for the path constraint and setting "Ease" values. Set it to 0% at the beginning and 100% at some time later than the animation is ending now, like 2x or 3x later. This will force the path constraint to take more time.

You can even set values in the middle to make the character slow down or stop.

The path constraint will automatically squish or stretch the timing of a cycle so that the character will take enough steps to cover the distance of the path.

If he has to cover the path in a short time the steps will be very quick.

Y0u can control it directly however by looking at the Properties window for the path constraint and setting "Ease" values. Set it to 0% at the beginning and 100% at some time later than the animation is ending now, like 2x or 3x later. This will force the path constraint to take more time.

You can even set values in the middle to make the character slow down or stop.

okay, so therefore, if I make the path longer, or increase the time of the clip, he will slow down to meet those requirements. Neat!

I'll note that "ease" trick and play with that project a little and see if I can get more of a saunter out of the little guy. Thanks! I think I need to get comfortable with this one and the previous one before I really tackle Lesson 6 head on. That's going to be the headdesker for me, I'm sure XD good thing I'm not alone in that...

• Hash Fellow
okay, so therefore, if I make the path longer,

a longer path means he has to squeeze even more steps into the same time.

or increase the time of the clip, he will slow down to meet those requirements.

yes. same # of steps in longer time = slower steps

okay, so therefore, if I make the path longer,

a longer path means he has to squeeze even more steps into the same time.

ah. Strike that, reverse it, thank you. Make the path shorter, and he has to slow up to meet the time requirement.

That's like that whole "crank the camera faster to slow up the film speed" thing. The first time you read that you go "what?" and then after you wrap your head around it, it makes sense.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

help!!!!!!!

I've done this thing ten different times with five different characters. The Paste Mirrored Function doesn't do anything. The book says it should take an hour to do this. I've been doing this for four days. Someone pleasse tell me where I can talk to asome one in person and get some help with this thing because the video tutorial and the manual don't help. I've done everything they say over and over just like they say, but all i can do is add keyframes by posing and cycle through them. I can't do the part where you add the mirrored keyframes. Please help!!!!!!!! I am so frustrated.

help!!!!!!!

I've done this thing ten different times with five different characters. The Paste Mirrored Function doesn't do anything. The book says it should take an hour to do this. I've been doing this for four days. Someone pleasse tell me where I can talk to asome one in person and get some help with this thing because the video tutorial and the manual don't help. I've done everything they say over and over just like they say, but all i can do is add keyframes by posing and cycle through them. I can't do the part where you add the mirrored keyframes. Please help!!!!!!!! I am so frustrated.

Do you use Skype?

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

Welcome to the forum!

help!!!!!!!

What character are you using? And are you on v15j+

My quick advice is to skip the paste/mirror thing and make "mirrored" poses manually since they are pretty basic poses and practice is good for you.

The important part of that tut is making the walk cycle; the paste/mirror bit is really a minor piece of functionality.

However, when you do the copy and paste, make sure the translate, rotate and whole body filters are on:

filterbuttons.JPG