Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Exercise 5: Take A Walk

Fabulous, Jerry - love the action, and he's even blinking. :D

Lateral foot slippage - I think you've been looking at it too long - I couldn't see any. If there really is some, then it would be in the channels somewhere - maybe changing the spline interpolation in places - have you looked at that?

It's here in the manual:

http://www.hash.com/htmlHelp/v12.0/CustomH...sed_Drivers.htm

In the bouncing ball example there, if you don't change the interpolation to hold, when the ball reaches the ground, it will continue the spline line and actually go through the ground, before going up.

But your walk is so good, you probably knew all that already :lol:

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the bouncing ball example there, if you don't change the interpolation to hold, when the ball reaches the ground, it will continue the spline line and actually go through the ground, before going up.

Thanks Caroline, I think the "slipping" I see as Rabbit rounds the corner is probably spin. As the path curves the foot is rotating slightly? I suppose I could compensate for that in the choreography but I don't think I'll bother for this exercise.

Thanks for the pointers re: interpolation. I actually did not know about that variable but I dealt with the problem of overshoot and drift by adding a couple of control points. This accidentally adds some "preparatory" action before big movements. I did the same thing to add acceleration and deceleration to the movements (add a control point to change the slope for part of an action).

BUT, now that I know about interpolation methods, shaggy will have an easier time NOT opening the door :). Thanks again!

--Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Kenneth Wong

Exercise Completed: Exercise 5: Take a Walk

Date Completed: 31st January 2007

Instructor: Just the manual.

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

I've done this a long time ago but I couldn't find it so I did it again :lol:

I could of added more head movement and added some eye movement to make him more real :blink:

And I don't know why the sky is black when rendered in QuickTime :unsure:

The next Exercise is fun! :rolleyes:

takeawalk.mov

• Admin

There he goes... takin' a walk... again. :)

And I don't know why the sky is black when rendered in QuickTime
Kenneth,

The most likely culprit is having the Alpha Channel option set to 'On' in the render panel.

Toggle that to off and it should turn to your background color which is most likely the default color; light blue.

You said:

If you haven't downloaded and viewed the video tutorials you are really missing out.

Steve Sappington and others do an outstanding job of taking you through the exercises.

Don't miss them!

http://www.hash.com/vm/

Note: The video tutorials require the ensharpen video codec in order to be viewed.

There he goes... takin' a walk... again. :)

And I don't know why the sky is black when rendered in QuickTime
Kenneth,

The most likely culprit is having the Alpha Channel option set to 'On' in the render panel.

Toggle that to off and it should turn to your background color which is most likely the default color; light blue.

You said:

If you haven't downloaded and viewed the video tutorials you are really missing out.

Steve Sappington and others do an outstanding job of taking you through the exercises.

Don't miss them!

http://www.hash.com/vm/

Note: The video tutorials require the ensharpen video codec in order to be viewed.

Thanks for the tip about the Alpha channel :)

Yeah, I'm going to have a look at the vids for the next few exercises :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
There was a bit of quicksand around the left.

Yes, you are right. I had realized that too late and didn't want to waint another night for a new render. The walk path had somehow sunken into the ground :-) And I don't like the walking and the knocking sound too much, but I just didn't have others at hand :)

Thanks again for your friendly words!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
I tried to upload my rabbitwalk but the upload failed. It was an avi file, how do I make a small mov file? When I make them through AM they get very much larger than the avi files, vhere is the magical hook?

I don't think you can upload AVI files here in the forum.

I recommend converting to MOV format (Sorensen 3 for best quality/compression)

You can convert the AVI you already have.

In the PWS click on the AVI shortcut

Right Click

'Save Animation As'

Adjust your format and compression

If its still too large a file you might render out to a smaller size.

One way to do this within A:M is to use a camera rotoscope.

Apply your AVI as a rotoscope on your camera.

Then render out to your new format, compression and resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Pip Rawlinson

Exercise: 5:Take a Walk

Date Completed: Early Feb 2007

Instructors: Manual, forums and videos

Well here comes Rabbit, blinking like a robot and slipping along. :P Not quite what I was after... and the secondary motion I'd tried to add to his hips was obviously far too subtle. I'm pleased with his ears. Well, it's something...

Any advice? Particularly on the feet? Please?!

Pip :)

Ex5Tigerbluev3.mov

Very nice job tiger. To answer your question you rabbits feet seem to be slipping. One way i know of correcting it is to play with the Chars stride length. It might just be a simply misplacement of the points between the heel of the front foot. an the back foot.

Hi can someone help me.

On the take the walk exercise the copy key frame and the paste mirrored functions don't seem to work.

Because when i paste mirrored it dosn't do anything

Has anyone had this problem before and if so how do i fix this.

Hi can someone help me.

On the take the walk exercise the copy key frame and the paste mirrored functions don't seem to work.

Hmm well not 100% sure what it is. Certain things you can check off a list are this. If someone else is using A:M along with you most times then not they will set the controls for things they are tinkering with that will effect you. So if your using this program with someone else. Its best to remember to reset your settings. Another issue is just a simple mental error.Cut, an copy keyframe are next to each other, as well as paste keyframe an paste mirrored. So sometimes its very simple to get the one confused with the other. The same thing can be said for the keyframes you choose. Make sure your choosing the right ones as well.

The other most common thing is A:M for some odd reason is so simple to work with, But does have a tendency to load like crap. Its not uncommon to have it install on your system only to be missing files an other things. Sometimes a fresh reinstall will fix that. I know for me my first install i had no project files to speak of. It just didnt get transfered over. So i reinstalled an everything was fine.

Hope this helps a tad, if for anything at least a sort of as a reminder, as well as a check list. Im not trying to say you goofed or anythig like that. This is basically what issues i went thru while working with step 5. The g/f had farted around with the settings, I wasnt paying attention to my copies an paste, An i cut an copied wrong fames a couple of times..

Name: Brent Lowrie

Exercise Completed: Exercise 5

Date Completed: March 31, 2007

Just moving through the exercises as fast as possible to get up to production speed. I would like to have added quite a bit more overlapping action and a much smoother finish but rushed with my current production schedule.

Link to my exercise 5 movie.

I had the same thing happen; it was because I had switched from Skeletal Mode to Muscle Mode for better viewing. After switching back to Skeletal and copying the keyframe again, Paste Mirrored worked. I guess the computer can only see the bones if you can!

--Roger

Name: Roger Christenson

Date Completed: 11 April 2007

Instructor: Book, video, and forum.

Exercise 5 result:

ex5.mov Rabbit Walkin'

Since I'm new here, I'd appreciate a little feedback from anyone - is the step too abrupt, bouncy etc.? Thanks!

Looks good to me. I did notice your rabbit likes to take a longer stride with his right foot, Not sure if you noticed that or intended it to do it.

• Admin

Ulrika,

I like. You've even got him going the extra distance! :)

(That may have contributed to the stride effect that Logrus mentioned.

The only thing I'll suggest is something not even required by the exercise.

When you have him blink don't be afraid to keep his eyes closed for a little while.

Nice!

Roger,

I missed your request for feedback. Sorry about that.

Yours looks like a classic execution with a 10 9 10 from the judges. (That middle one sure is picky)

The suggestion I'd make would be to vary it up a bit but again likke Ulrika's eyeblinks thats not required for success here.

The head weaving back and forth started to get really obvious as the walk went on.

Outstanding work everyone.

Keep what you are learning solidly in mind. Even the littlest things.

If it caught your eye now... it surely will again later.

Thank you, Rodney and Logrus, for the very welcome feedback! As hard as it is to judge one's own work, it's twice as valuable to have honest input from people nice enough to take a real look at it. Now if I can remember what I've learned while doing exercise 6....

-Roger

Hey Roger,

Nice walk, a lot of personality! A couple of suggestions to try that might plus it up a little.

1. When the heel makes contact, have the foot come down flat on the very next frame

2. In a couple of places the side to side action of the hips take the COG outside instead of over the weight baring foot.

Neither are big problems for so distinctive a walk but it may look a little more crisp.

Good job.

Hey Roger,

Nice walk, a lot of personality! A couple of suggestions to try that might plus it up a little.

1. When the heel makes contact, have the foot come down flat on the very next frame

2. In a couple of places the side to side action of the hips take the COG outside instead of over the weight baring foot.

Neither are big problems for so distinctive a walk but it may look a little more crisp.

Good job.

Thank You! Those are just the kind of suggestions needed to improve!

Name: Elliot Clements

Exercise Completed: Exercise 5: Take a walk

Total Completed Exercises: 5

Date Completed: 21 April, 2007

Instructors: Manual and Video Tutorials

Remarks/Suggestions: I enjoyed doing this exercise but got a bit frustrated when i the paste mirrored function didn't work. I think i will need to come back to it at a later date as the hand actions are a bit jerky.

Exercise_5_take_a_walk.mov

What do you think?

Name: Steve Wooster

I really tried to give a animation a lot of follow-through, though perhaps it's a bit too much for a rabbit that's only walking and not running. Also, I took extra care to ensure that there is no foot-slipping. One problem I've noticed is that when it comes to the timeline splines, they don't really seem to loop, so the slopes of the curve at the first and last frames are entirely different. As a result, the rabbit's left-hand seems to jolt forward when the walk cycle loops. Does anybody know if it's possible to set the spline tangent without changing the interpolation method? I seem to remember seeing that some place, but I can't remember where...

ex5_custom.mov

Date Completed: 4/15/2007

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Adrian,

He looks like he's a Rabbit on a mission.

As you feel more comfortable with the animation controls I hope you'll have a desire to return to this guy.

There is a story in there somewhere. ;)

If you think back to Exercise 3, the 'rolling up his sleeve and getting ready for a fight' pose fits quite nicely with this. Question then becomes... whats on the recieving end of Rabbit's attention? *Gulp*

• Admin

Steve,

You aren't too far from having him hit a 'chicken walk'.

It has a comic feel to it... very fluid... wavy.

Does anybody know if it's possible to set the spline tangent without changing the interpolation method?

Within any interpolation method in the Timeline you can Hit the P Key to peak the keyframe.

This allows you to adjust the tangents separately.

More than likely though just tweaking the bias handles will help you find the sweet spot you are looking for.

• Admin
He's off to help that Shaggy, who keeps "borrowing" his carrots, to open that door.

That sounds like a dangerous encounter. Oooo the conflict!

A supercilious (and stubborn) immovable object versus a ridicularlious irrestistable (and mad!) force. ;)

Ah Ha... !!!

Very cool dude walk cycle...

The timing really makes it...

very nice....

Name: Elliot Clements

Exercise Completed: Exercise 5: Take a walk

Total Completed Exercises: 5

Date Completed: 21 April, 2007

Instructors: Manual and Video Tutorials

Remarks/Suggestions: I enjoyed doing this exercise but got a bit frustrated when i the paste mirrored function didn't work. I think i will need to come back to it at a later date as the hand actions are a bit jerky.

Exercise_5_take_a_walk.mov

What do you think?

• Admin
Ah Ha... !!!

Very cool dude walk cycle...

The timing really makes it...

very nice....

Agreed!

Your exercise does beg the question though.

Did you have to adjust the path to allow the Rabbit to walk through without passthroughs or did you get it right on the first take?

Name: Steven Ellinger

Exercise Completed: Exercise 5 Take A Walk

Date Completed: 1-27-07

Instructor: None

Remarks/Suggestions: Here is my walk cycle. The full fifteen seconds was to big, so I Picked a smaller section to show. I don't have a website, so this is the best I could do.

I liked your walk a lot!

Mikepett

Has anyone else noticed that about six and a half to seven minutes into this tutorial the mic goes out and we are listening through what sounds like a distant laptop mic?

Is that just me?

I tried downloading it as well as the web version and it seems like it is the same.

Mike

• Admin
Has anyone else noticed that about six and a half to seven minutes into this tutorial the mic goes out and we are listening through what sounds like a distant laptop mic?

Is that just me?

Definitely have noticed that.

Whats strangest about that is that I don't recall it always being that way.

It must have been though as to my knowledge the video has never changed.

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Mike Lapointe

Exercise: 5 Take a Walk

Date: June 23, 2007

Comments: Still learning lots and having lots of fun. Seemed to have trouble really getting the feel of the head swagger and ear movement, not sure if I actually got it right, something just doesn't seem quite natural about the whole walk I came up with. Had to render in draft to keep under 2 MB, I think I need to read some more posts and learn how to render and compress for best quality/size.

Exercise5.mov

• 1 month later...

Name: Jeff Bolle

Exercises Completed: 5

Date Completed: Sunday, August 5th, 2007

Instructor: Rodney, Vid Tuts, and Manual

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: Haha, I got to say this one I really enjoyed. I haven't made a walk cycle since I got A:M about 6 years ago. This one definatley needs work, but I had fun making it.

takeawalk.mov

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I want to take another try on animation again and as expected run into many difficulties,

In AM 14 Final I couldnt manage to paste mirror keyframes at all, in 13 it worked for a while before it got stuck and I had to

start with a new action.

Is there something to watch to better work with " paste mirrored"?

Then I finished my walkcycle as you can see it here.

There is still some jumping and the feet take off the ground between keyframes.

Guess i have to go to the curve editor to fix that?

as I remember somehow darkly from the baal-exercise....

well animation is kind of frustrating at the start....

;>/ Jake

Ladywalk240807.mov