• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

Bob,

Sorry I didn't see your problem with posting Exercise 4.

You can certainly edit the post but you are also always welcome to email or PM me and I'll move it to the right location. For you I would do this. ;)

While I cannot speak for other forum areas here in the New Users Forum if you want a post deleted just edit it to say something like "Delete Me!" and eventually I'll see it and remove it. You can then spend your time on more productive things and not worry about the ins and outs of posting.

Glad to see you are doing so well with the exericises. Keep up the great job. You look like you are having fun!

Meanwhile...

Mark D. Newitt aka Liquidspaceman said on Mar 3 2006 at exactly 06:58 PM:

Mr. Peanuthead aka Rodney lol! Love ya Mr. R.

You gonna pay fer dat! ;)

Mark,

I really like your work. Nice touch with the taped corners.

Thanks for one of those "Now why didn't I think of that moments". :)

Ken,

Excellent job with the exercise. Yes, it's always great to see an animation that you worked come to life. It makes it all worthwhile. About the only crit I have for this one would be: You could have added to secondary motion to the tail. You did it with the ears and they came out great. The tail would move down as the character moves up and would move up as the character moves down. Like I said, I am just being nitpicky.

Great job though,

Leo B)

Red,

Good job on this "older walk". Can't wait to see the new one. My only crit would be to make sure to add upper body and head movement as well. This one here, he is really stiff in the chest and head. Other wise good job. There's a great book out there that I am reading and using alot. It's called The Animator's Survival Kit. It breaks everything down and I think is a great reference book to have on the shelf. I myself am still using it (and being told to use it) :lol: to this day.

Leo B)

Great expression! Looks like he had a good day at work...=) Well one thing only that needs fixing....For some reason it looks like hes slides a bit.....i found that this is a problem for me if i dont put enough time on my walk cycle...try setting the walk cycle legth to 15:00 and see if that makes it any better....if ya got any questions ill answer them.

Thanks for the comments Robert-Jank...i just now getting back to it

yes my feet were sliding ...fixed it

( good eye Robert )

ps the walk cycle was at 15:00 ... with the fix i feel he's walking slower ..oh well

hope it's better

Bunny_walk_fixed_again.mov

Liquidspaceman,

This exercise came up good. Once again I like your use of scenes and sound effects. The actual walk does seem stiff though. When the rabbit is walking towards the camera he upper arms are bent at like a 90 degree angle. You have good motion on the ears for side to side but when he walks in profile, the upper body has a stiff quality to it. When I animated I try to work on the body in layers. I get the over motion of what I need or what and then go back and tweak from there. Also don't be afraid to get up and act it out. That is something that I struggled with for a long time due to stage fright. That's just my .02 though.

Good luck with the rest of your exercises,

Leo

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

Thank you Leo for your insight. It's funny how you watch something over and over and not see the obvious. Bunny's arms do look rather odd in that position. I do need to say, in my defense, I did the tutorial on my 2nd monitor and stopped it along the way, the entire tutorial. I fix those arms and stiffness when I get a chance. Thanks Leo! :D

Liquidspaceman, over and out

Hello All -

Name: Michael Fortunato

Exercise completed - Ex5 - Take A Walk

Date Completed - 03-16-2006

Instructor: Das Book!

Remarks: I had some difficulty with Exercise 5. The bunny kept jumping the last keyframe which made him seem to twitch everytime it got to 1:05:00. And I realized, whoops! I forgot to copy and paste the 1st keyframe at the end to complete the cycle.

With that done, I finally rendered it. Here's the happy-go-lucky-rabbit:

http://www.geocities.com/m_fortunato/Ex5-T...elFortunato.mov

And just because I've had a very hard week, here's a rabbit that's closer to how I feel:

http://www.geocities.com/m_fortunato/Ex5-T...elFortunato.mov

- Michael

P.S. - I have to say this forum is fantastic! Everyone is incredibly nice and I've been nosing around the exercises I've completed to see everyone's work - there's so much wonderful and creative stuff! I can't wait to continue on my journey through A:M!

Michael,

Great job on both walks. The emotion really comes through. The only problems I see is your having some slipping issues with the feet. It just feels like they are slipping a little when he is taking steps in both of your walks. Also, the feet tend to go into the floor. That's an easy enough fix, you should just be able to move the path up a little and then his feet won't go through the floor.

Just my .02 though,

Leo

Michael,

Great job on both walks. The emotion really comes through. The only problems I see is your having some slipping issues with the feet. It just feels like they are slipping a little when he is taking steps in both of your walks. Also, the feet tend to go into the floor. That's an easy enough fix, you should just be able to move the path up a little and then his feet won't go through the floor.

Just my .02 though,

Leo

Thanks, Leo! Yeah, I noticed especially on the 2nd walk that the feet slide. I'll definitely go back and see if I can correct that. Thanks, too, for noticing the feet going into the floor. I didn't even notice that! Actually, I'll go back to the walk cycle and see if I can fix it from there. This way it's fixed for whenever I use it again (and I think I just might have to :)).

Thanks again!

- Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Tyson,

Some of the things that jump out at me, his arms seem to snap at certain frames. You have good secondary motion on his ears, but his upper body is stiff and there is no secondary motion on his tail. It also feels like his feet are sliding a little bit. Just my .02 though

Leo

Tyson,

Some of the things that jump out at me, his arms seem to snap at certain frames. You have good secondary motion on his ears, but his upper body is stiff and there is no secondary motion on his tail. It also feels like his feet are sliding a little bit. Just my .02 though

Leo

Leo,

I made some tweaks, I missed the tail motion though. I like this version better, the blinks are less and the arm motion I like too. Let me know what ya think.

Exercise 5_2

It's a bit big (2.7 meg)

Name: Daniel Michael Lisa (Technodandy)

Exercise Completed: Exercise 5

Date Completed: March 27, 2006

Instructor: The People of the A:M Forum, Martin Hash's Book and Hash, Inc. Video Tutorials.

[attachmentid=15461]

Take a walk

Hi all,

I have two question about exercise 5:

I had problems with Copy Keyframe to Paste Mirrored. It seemed to only copy the null positions accurately any secondary actions it did not transfer. Is there are something I forgot to do or should it be that way?

When I added the thumbs up, all of the right hand cycles from "00:00:00" to the "thumbs up" erased . Why is that and how can I prevent it?

All of these I had to corrected in the Choreography window frame by frame.

Technodandy

Exercise_5.wmv

Tyson,

Your second walk is much better, but there seems to be a problem with the arms. I am attaching a pic showing the problem in detail. When his arms are swing forward, you have the elbows almosts snapping forward and dragging the lower arms and hands with it. You might have done that intentionally in which case, good job. It just makes it seem a bit off. Also maybe adding a little more subtle motion to his upper body and his tail. Like I said before, just my .02 though

Hope it helps

Leo

[attachmentid=15465]

post-2835-1143488144_thumb.jpg

Technodandy,

When you compressed your project file, you forgot to add your Rabbit walk 1 .act. Without that, I cant see your rabbit walk and look at where the problem is. If you can add that to your .rar file then I can look at it.

Leo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leo and Rodney,

I am back, I have been busy the past few weeks I have been building a new computer. I just got it working right. So I am back in business. I can render a lot faster. I can render the last exercise 3 seconds a frame instead of 1 min in a half. I can't wait to get back to work.

Did anyone get to answer the question of exercise 5 that I had?

I have two question about exercise 5:

I had problems with Copy Keyframe to Paste Mirrored. It seemed to only copy the null positions accurately any secondary actions it did not transfer. Is there are something I forgot to do or should it be that way?

When I added the thumbs up, all of the right hand cycles from "00:00:00" to the "thumbs up" erased . Why is that and how can I prevent it?

All of these I had to corrected in the Choreography window frame by frame.

Technodandy

Name: Elizabeth S. Borkowski

Exercise Completed: Exercise 5

Date Completed: 5/3/06

Instructor: TAoAM manual, Hash support, and the AM Forums

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: In the first version I did of this exercise my rabbit looked like he was very heavy in his step or doing lunges instead of walking. He is a little better now, but his arms at the shoulder still do some supernatural twisting.

http://www.esbdesign.com/Ex5rabbitwalkfinal.mov

• Admin

Very good Elizabeth!

his arms at the shoulder still do some supernatural twisting.

Maybe its the size of the image but I don't really see it.

If you ever return to this exercise (and you will someday even if not this specific exercise) think secondary action. Some of it really isn't explored in this exercise (the ears are and I do see some movement in yours).

Eye blinks and a final pass to add personality and flair will give your characters a reason to cross the floor.

Good Job!

Dandy,

Did you solve your keyframing issue. I see someone else posted a similar problem so will have to look into this. I'd say at a glance that the parts of the character you want to keyframe on frame 0 just aren't selected (see keyframing icons down on the bottom left).

Sorry for the delayed response.

OK. I'm starting Exercise # 5 and have run into a couple issues right off the bat that I feel like clearing up before I go on. I believe these are issues with the set-up of A:M and this may be the wrong forum for these questions. If so, please re-direct me.

First: When trying to get the vertical and horizontal guides to show up, I discovered that I can't get the rulers to appear. I have gone to [TOOLS] [OPTIONS] and chosen the "Action" Tab. I check the "Display Rulers" box and hit ok. No rulers. I restart the software and still no rulers. Bug? See my sig. for my specs and software version.

Second: I'm getting alot of duplicate 'Actors' and folders in my Library. I have gone to [TOOLS] [OPTIONS] and chosen the "Folders" Tab. I go into the pull down menu to Libraries. Here's what's there:

C:\Docs and Settings\David\Application Data\Hash Inc\Libraries

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\V12.0\data\Libraries

C:\Docs and Settings\David\Application Data\Hash Inc\Libraries

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\V12.0\data\Libraries

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\V12.0\Libraries

When I try and delete the duplicates, they just come back when I restart. Why? How is this fixed? When I installed the software I did tell it to load everything from the CD. I forget the exact way that is stated.