Hash, Inc. Forums

Exercise 5: Take A Walk

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Dhar, when you say you are still trying to figure out how to upload animation files to comcast, are you saying you have uploaded other files, just not animation files? Because I can walk you through uploading files to your personal web page on Comcast.

Once you have created a personal web page on Comcast, type this into your web browser: "ftp://upload.comcast.net/" leave off the quotes. You will be prompted for your password - enter it and you will get an explorer type window of your web page file structure. You can drag and drop files there to upload.

Eric

OK, I uploaded a .mov file, how do I get to see it on my web page?

-------------------------------------

The Art of Animation:Master

Exercise 5: Take a Walk

-------------------------------------

My attempt is attached --

exercise5_output.MOV -- Walking in place..

exercise5_output2.MOV -- Moving while walking, admittedly a bit fast relative to feet.

Robert D. Wilkens

forum user name: rwilkens

exercise5_output.MOV

exercise5_output2.MOV

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I did not see a bounce, what I saw was two arm movements for each step. This happened to me one time when I did this excercise in wireframe mode and couldn't tell if I had the right arm or the left one to coincide with the opposing leg.

If I were you I'd do this excercise again & try to follow the tutorial, but you can use a different character and add your own interpretations while keeping with objective of the excercise :)

• 2 weeks later...

Name:Ross Klettke

Exercise completed: Exercise 5

Date Completed 12-26-05

Remarks: Getting a bit more used to the 2001 rig... problem with arm twisting around on me when I tried "breaking" the elbow for some more flexibility on the walk. Is there any way to do this without the entire arm automatically twisting around in the 2001 rig?

walk.mov

• Admin
Is there any way to do this without the entire arm automatically twisting around in the 2001 rig?

In these cases the arm remains but the body moves on with the action. That is normal of course if you break constraints. There are several attacks to address the issue but it will often depend on your action.

I recall someone once worked through it by creating a Null and orienting the arm to that with an 'Orient Like' constraint.

... Not a full fix but it worked.

Your mileage may vary.

In many cases you will just have to plan to reorient the arm after breaking it.

This can be painful in animation... sorta like breaking real bones in real life. ouch.

Nice walk!

Rodney

P.S. Dkarpp: Very nice secondary animation. If you added a few blinks there... wow! Good stuff.

Name: Jody Krivohlavek

Exercise Completed: Exercise 5

Date Completed: December 28, 2005

Instructor: AM Handbook, Video Tutorial and everyone that's ever posted to these forums.

(Been around since the Playmation days)

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

The basic motion is right, but I think there is still some slipping of the feet. This is due to the animation, not my stride length. Oh well, the secondary action came out pretty good too.

On to that darn stuck door... :P

TakeAWalk.mov

(wierd shoulder joints, don't know why though)

Spmetimes when you move the forearm, depending in what angle you're in, the bicep bone will begin to twist. Many times I don't catch it and end up adjusting the forearm instead of going to the bicep bone and turning it to face the correct way. That's why you have wierd shoulder joints :)

(wierd shoulder joints, don't know why though)

Spmetimes when you move the forearm, depending in what angle you're in, the bicep bone will begin to twist. Many times I don't catch it and end up adjusting the forearm instead of going to the bicep bone and turning it to face the correct way. That's why you have wierd shoulder joints :)

ohhhhh..ok, i think i get it. Thanks dhar!

Hi this is my first time posting in the forum. All of the exercises that you guys did look great. I did this exercise twice, the first time i did it everything looked great but his feet where going into the dirt in some of the frames. So i redid it and made sure that i kept his feet about the line. My problem now is that it moves in slow motion, did i do something wrong because every time i make him walk across the screen he moves way to slow.. also i cant make the path curve, it will only go straight, i cant figure out how to make it so it is not in a straight line. Could so one help me with my two problems.

Thank you

So i redid it and made sure that i kept his feet about the line.

Did you re-do it by moving his feet out of the dirt frame by frame? If so, having so many ketframes will tend to slow the animation when you play it in choreography, however, it'll play fine when you render it.

also i cant make the path curve, it will only go straight,

How many points do you have for your path?

as to how to make the path curve...i assume you are just clicking once for the start of the path and once for the end...to get a curved path you have to click multiple times, once for start, one to the left and down, one to the right and down, one for the end. or something similar. Did this help...maybe i wasnt clear...

O

...\

....O

.../

../

O

...\

.....O

(circles are clicks)

Hi guys thanks for the info, i am still having trouble with some of the things, so i am going to the computer show to talk to the guy that sold me the program. He was very helpful so i know he will show me what i am doing wrong.. I tryed the lesson with the kat talking and i am having fun with that and almost have it done..

One more thing when i installed the program it had a button that i could press to have on line chats, now i cant find it. Could you tell me how to get it back.

Thanks

Eagle

The problem could be in the cho timing. Check out the action file(assuming you didn't animate the walk in the cho window. If it plays ok there and not in the cho, then the problem is in the cho. Its easier to setup a new cho of the right length and path.

Chris

Ps its also of help if you could post a link to the project file. There are often so many things that can go wrong, the best way for people to help is sometimes to look at the file- they might be able to tell at a glance whereas you or I could be scratching our head for days.

Chris

http://home.btconnect.com/FatclownFilms/

• 2 weeks later...

Here is exercise #5. I have had problems with rendering shadows. For some reasons shadows do not render at times. I have included two renders. One with shadows and one without. The one with shadows is not as good an animation as the one without shadows but it looks better. So if anyone knows please let me know what I am doing wrong with the shadows. Thanks.

KB

BunnyWalk02.mov

BunnyWalk03.mov

I was meaning that I used the exact same rendering method in both cases and for some reason the first time I did there was shadows and the second time that I rendered there was no shadow. I did not change the rendering (i.e., I used final, sorenson, VGA in both cases).

KB

PS,

Other than that is the animation more or less what is expected.

Thanks guys ;-).

I was meaning that I used the exact same rendering method in both cases and for some reason the first time I did there was shadows and the second time that I rendered there was no shadow. I did not change the rendering (i.e., I used final, sorenson, VGA in both cases).

KB

PS,

Other than that is the animation more or less what is expected.

Thanks guys ;-).

One had the Toon render turned on while the other had Toon render turned off.

Both animations are acceptable in this course :)

Name: John J. Schultz

Exercise Completed: Exercise 5: Take A Walk

Date Completed: 2/2/06

Instructor: A:M Tutorials and special thanks to Robert for the input!

Comments: I had a bit of trouble with this one. The only way I could get him to slow down was to extend the time to 10 seconds. Is this the correct way to do it or is there an easier way?

Rabbitwalk2.mov

Name: Andy Stewart

Exercise: #5

Date Completed: February 2, 2006

Instructor: Book and Tut

His foot slips a little, couldn''t figure out why... it wasn't slipping when working on the action.

Also, his blinks are too... uniform. Bugs me... but....

Normal Render: (5MB)

http://www.taynik.com/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=54

Toon Render: (5MB)

http://www.taynik.com/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=55

What it lacks is some anticapation, such as when the rabbit is going to turn a corner, he will turn his head before his body moves. But you will lern all about that in the bootcamp.

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted it, then watched it again.... <_<

Ah well, I'll get it next time. All the things I'm goofing up or forgetting, hopefully I'll get in the #6.

Name: John J. Schultz

Anyone? Help? Please?

Rabbit Walk speed? Anyone? :(

Go to the Prperties and set the length to 00:15:00.

then open Render to file.

and set the fram range to;

Start = 00:00:00

End = 00:15:00

This will give you a 15 second animation.

Mike Dalton

Project 5

Completed: Feb 9th 2006

Problems: When I did the "Paste Mirrored", my bones were right, but anything controlled by a null (body, feet) didn't change & needed to be manually animated. I'm unsure if this is the way this feature is supposed to work or not.

bunny3.mov

• 2 weeks later...

Great expression! Looks like he had a good day at work...=) Well one thing only that needs fixing....For some reason it looks like hes slides a bit.....i found that this is a problem for me if i dont put enough time on my walk cycle...try setting the walk cycle legth to 15:00 and see if that makes it any better....if ya got any questions ill answer them.

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

Name: Mark D. Newitt

Exercise Completed: Exercise 5, Take a Walk

Date Completed: March 3, 2006

Instructor: Mr. Peanuthead aka Rodney :o lol! Love ya Mr. R.

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: I know bunny's feet slide a little bit, ...but that's because of the surface of the road, yeah, that's it, the surface of the road.

Anyway here is the first frame...

and here is the movie,

be sure to have the volume on. Remember, no toons were hurt in the making of this movie.

...Liquidspaceman, over and out

post-7288-1141437436_thumb.jpg

post-7288-1141437493_thumb.jpg