Hash, Inc. Forums

Exercise 4: It's a Pitch

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red,

Good job. The only thing that really jumps out at me is when the Knight is about to release the ball, he is actually moving through the floor. You could probably go and add some keyframes on his feet to make sure that they dont pass through it. I also get the feeling that his weight isn't shifting onto his back leg when he is winding up. Maybe it just the camera angle though. Other than that good job.

Leo B)

Red,

Much better with the feet. He actually feels like he is pushing off and landing on the his other foot now. In regards to his weight, I am attaching a pic. I am not sure if it's the camera angle or not, but according to the pic it looks like his body isn't over his back leg enough. When in that pose all of his weight would be centered on that leg otherwise he would fall over. I hope that clears it up.

Leo

[attachmentid=15151]

post-2835-1142200126_thumb.jpg

Hello Again!

I was able to take a lunch break today and decided to try and tackle the 4th exercise. So here it is! I added a bit to him because I felt it needed a little bit more anticipation before the actual throw. Oh and you may notice that I accidentally moved the camera out a bit too. I meant to do it on the 1st keyframe so he didn't walk out of the frame when he moved closer to the camera, however, I actually moved it on the last keyframe forgetting that this would actually animate the camera. Eh - at least I know how to animate a camera now ;).

Name: Michael Fortunato

Exercise Completed: Ex.4 - It's a Pitch! (Isn't it though?)

Date Completed: 3-14-06

Instructor: Just the Art of AM book. I have downloaded the video tutorials but haven't watched them yet.

Remarks: What is up with the knight's knees????? I had to really struggle to get them not to bend out of control. I'm sure it's just because I'm new and was pulling a bone the wrong way. So the knight's knees wiggle a bit in the beginning...eh - no biggie! It's my first time.

http://www.geocities.com/m_fortunato/Ex4-I...elFortunato.mov

Now it's time to learn how to walk!

- Michael

LiquidSpaceman,

Sorry that I missed yours. Your exercise came out really good. I especially like the sounds and environment that you added. Really the only thing I would say is to try to render to quicktimes. Some people like the ability to watch animations frame by frame this way they can give a very formal crit.

Great job,

Leo

Tyson,

Looks good. The only thing I can see is when his right leg comes down. It seems to go behind his left leg and his weight doesnt seem to be right. I think his right leg would come back to rest next to his left leg and his weight would be balanced over both legs. Just my .02 though

Once again good job,

Leo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here's my latest contribution

John Bailey

Exercise 4: It's a Pitch

Hi John

You could use a bit more twist in the upper torso- Knighty seems to be staring upwardsa as he winds up for the throw. Also the trajectory of the ball just as it leaves the hand doesn't seem quite right. I think a little bit of follow thrugh with the head would be good, and the left arm does a flip in the last few frames.

otherwise good!

Chris

Hello again,

I got sidetracked by work and a vacation, but I am back again to post more exercises.

Name: Elizabeth S. Borkowski

Exercise Completed: Exercise 4

Date Completed: 4/27/06

Instructor: TAoAM manual, Hash support, and the AM Forums

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: My Mac was just hiding my files before, I had closed the Choreography window and had thought that I had lost my files - Hash cleared this up for me, but it would be nice to have these types of basics about interface explained somewhere.

The first time I had attempted this exercise I used the knight with the messed up knees and got very frustrated, that is when I discovered the importance of the forum. This one took me a long time, I moved things too much and the knight has a little spasm in the middle with the legs, but it is barely detectable in the movie. I am still workng on the keyframing concept, the manual doesn't really explain this and the video tutorial is not that easy to understand about it, Hash support helped explain it a bit to me so hopefully I will get better at it the more I do these.

http://www.esbdesign.com/Ex4Pitchside.mov

the knight has a little spasm in the middle with the legs, but it is barely detectable in the movie.

Actually, I noticed the "spasm." I think the problem is he's moving as though he's throwing his weight forward, but his body doesn't actually move forward.

the knight has a little spasm in the middle with the legs, but it is barely detectable in the movie.

Actually, I noticed the "spasm." I think the problem is he's moving as though he's throwing his weight forward, but his body doesn't actually move forward.

Also, the head begins it's motion forward, pops backwards, then forward again. It's a great attempt though. I'll be working on mine this weekend.

Name: F. David Puthuff

Exercise Completed: Exercise 4

Date Completed: 5/1/06

Instructor: TAoAM manual

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: This is one of the more difficult ones so far, as was stated earlier. I realized, when I was done, that he's lined up ok, but then 'he' decides to throw the ball between third base and home. I didn't feel like going back and fixing this one. :angry:

It's a Pitch (545 KB)

• Admin

Very good!

Here's my issue with this (and Ex 4 submissions in general if you read back a bit):

You've gone to all this trouble to set up the pitch. You're delivering a performance that really communicates the action... perfectly executed.... a sure thing... Strike!

Right? Right? Wrong.

Somethings wrong with that pit'cher.

What we need to add to this exercise is an emphasis on silhouetting and layout (camera positioning).

We need to direct attention to the ball (hey... it ain't there I know... but imagine with me!)

You've got it all on camera... the fans just can't see it.

Maybe we could get it done just by adding a camera or two.

Then we could render from each of those angles and choose the best from each for our final animation. Who is in charge of this game anyway... the Pitcher? Heck... he doesn't even have a ball!

I know the temptation is to move on to the next exercise BUT... if we can just stage this shot... position the camera... picture that pitcher just right. Then we'd get that sucker out.

There's a game to win here.

...and the audience is watching.

• Admin

That's what I'm talking about! A little bit of silhouette can go a long way.

A side view (for the purposes of this exercise) is much better than a straight on view.

With a sihouette at least we begin to see all there is to see.

While I think you could have pushed the extremes of the movement more you've got the basic elements all there. Balance, Line of Action (arcs) and more.

Hard to get a suit of armor to be emotive no? :P

Good job!

Ex4crit.jpg

Very good! .....

I know the temptation is to move on to the next exercise BUT... if we can just stage this shot... position the camera... picture that pitcher just right. Then we'd get that sucker out.

This staging of the shot is very subjective. Are you basicly asking for a side view of the action, or several submissions from different angles?

• Admin
This staging of the shot is very subjective. Are you basicly asking for a side view of the action, or several submissions from different angles?

Yes. (Both!) Thats the idea at its most basic for our purposes.

Experiment... Show us what success looks like. Explore!

All art is subjective. Ultimately the staging is left to the creator and I'm not trying to interfere with that.

Still, there is a limit to what feedback others can offer if the standard shot is rendered.

The idea to setup multiple cameras is to help everyone demonstrate their work.

Eventually everyone wants to know how to setup multiple cameras anyway... so it might fit here or in 'Take a Walk' just fine.

(Just answer the question right?)

A side view is preferred. ;)

Best.

Rodney

The idea to setup multiple cameras is to help everyone demonstrate their work.

Eventually everyone wants to know how to setup multiple cameras anyway... so it might fit here or in 'Take a Walk' just fine.

(Just answer the question right?)

A side view is preferred. ;)

I could not get the lighting right in the posterior cavity shot. :P (He did not just say that! :blink: )

So here's the side view per your request.

Exrecise 4 Side

• Admin

Thats it!

Thanks also for linking to your work. That'll help tremendously.

could not get the lighting right in the posterior cavity shot.

Thank the Lord for small favors. ;)

• 1 month later...

Nice work David. There seems to be some slipping going on though. In order to get rid of that, you should place hold frames on the feet and legs. This will lock them down and stop the slipping. You also at one point have the Knight's right foot going into the floor. Other than that, good job and keep up the good work

• 4 weeks later...

Jason Young

Exercise 4 - It's a pitch

Date completed 3-7-06 @ 11.13pm

Instructor The guy on the web(what is his name?)+The manual+Madness

Remarks - No real remarks other than i wished i finished the end of the animation a bit better.No problems with the knight model.I really enjoyed this one as you can see from the finnished animation.Roll on exercise 5.

Iwould like to add that when you look @ the site with the animation on it you will see an abandoned idea i first had for this exercise,i was going to do a proper baseball animation but abanded it when i realised i didnt

have the required skills to do it justice.Maybe one to come back to in a few years time.So all that you will see is a finnished baseball pitch which i am quite proud of.

Please see link below for Spaceball,Sorry Baseball animation.

http://www.putfile.com/youngman1

:D

• Admin

Very nice Jason.

You are a force to be reckoned with.

What you put together for Exercise 4 is one of those scenes that makes me want to see more of the story... what going on? Who is he? Where is he?

I like! Great job!

The glowing is an especially nice touch.

Nice baseball diamond too! :)

Name: Bruce Winn

Exercises Completed: 4

Date Completed: July 4, 06

Comments: I am still having trouble keeping the file size down to 1MB. I'll keep experimenting with the render settings. Thanks for the help everybody.

I'm really enjoying seeing everyone elses projects.

[attachmentid=17956]

Exercise4f.mov

• Admin

Hee Hee. Nice gag on that one Bruce.

One of those 'I should have thought of that moments'.

I am still having trouble keeping the file size down to 1MB.

I think you can post 2MB files now so don't hurt yourself too much.

I think I edited that file uploading instruction to say 'try to keep your animations down to 1MB'.

It helps the artist within to work under such constraints. ;)

Very nice Jason.

What you put together for Exercise 4 is one of those scenes that makes me want to see more of the story... what going on? Who is he? Where is he?

I like! Great job!

I am just beginning but I want to learn how to add in backgrounds...at what point in the tutorials do we get to learn how to do that? :rolleyes:

Great job Jason...how long have you been using A:M?

Very nice Jason.

I like! Great job!

I am just beginning but I want to learn how to add in backgrounds...at what point in the tutorials do we get to learn how to do that? :rolleyes:

Great job Jason...how long have you been using A:M?

Hello KurryKid,Welcome to A:M.I think you are going to have a blast using this software.

I have only been using A:M since december 05(Christmas present to myself).I had a quick flirtation with a 3d

program called blender 3d before using A:m but never really warmed to it.As to your question about adding backrounds,you will find a brief snippet in Exercise 2:Chorus line which will give you the basics of adding a backround for your models,a stage in this instance.As for adding other models to other scenes when you do them all i can say is experiment.You will find great things on your librarys in the cd also check out other areas in the forums and again Experiment.

If you get stuck just shout! theyre are a great bunch of guy's and gal's here in the community who are only to willing to help you. :D

Jay

I dont think Jay could have said it any better. You could always check out the Tutorials section of the forums as well. That section usually has alot of answers for some of the questions. Good luck with your projects KurryKid.

Hello KurryKid,Welcome to A:M.I think you are going to have a blast using this software.

I have only been using A:M since december 05(Christmas present to myself).I had a quick flirtation with a 3d

program called blender 3d before using A:m but never really warmed to it.As to your question about adding backrounds,you will find a brief snippet in Exercise 2:Chorus line which will give you the basics of adding a backround for your models,a stage in this instance.As for adding other models to other scenes when you do them all i can say is experiment.You will find great things on your librarys in the cd also check out other areas in the forums and again Experiment.

If you get stuck just shout! theyre are a great bunch of guy's and gal's here in the community who are only to willing to help you. :D

Jay

I can see how you can add something that exists like a stage that is already predefined. I am interested in how you add your own images / backgrounds. It doesn't look like you can just "import" an image. There must be a process you have to do to get it "ready" for the software.

I also want to be able to add a "green screen" behind the character so I can import it into another program and replace the background. This just needs to be a single color swatch for the background. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the comments...I am really looking forward to getting up and running with A:M.

Dave

I can see how you can add something that exists like a stage that is already predefined. I am interested in how you add your own images / backgrounds. It doesn't look like you can just "import" an image. There must be a process you have to do to get it "ready" for the software.

If you can let me know what it is you are trying to import i will see if i can try and help you.

I'm still a newbie myself so may have to let someone else answer your question.

I also want to be able to add a "green screen" behind the character so I can import it into another program and replace the background. This just needs to be a single color swatch for the background. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

You can replace the colour of the backround from the camera view.In your pws go to properties and then pick the shortcut to camera 1(or whatever camera you are looking through).

[attachmentid=18071]

Then with your properties window open you will have an option to change the backround colour.

[attachmentid=18072]

Click on the colour and you will be given the following options-

[attachmentid=18073]

Pick the desired colour you need and the render will have that backround colour,This also works with the ground model as well.

I hope this is of some help :unsure:

Jay

PWS___baseball_Quick_render.jpg

pws___camera.jpg

PWS___Colour_picker.jpg

• Admin

Dave/Jay,

In programs like Animation:Master you don't want to add a greenscreen.

That'd be like adding two greenscreens to your image when for our practical purposes none are needed.

Changing a background color usually isn't the best option either.

If you want to remove the space that color occupies better to have the program just remove it entirely.

What you need is an Alpha Channel.

You want to find the option to render with Alpha Channels at the bottom of the Render Options Panel.

Note that this option (Right there with the Light Buffer options) will not be available if you aren't rendering to an image that supports RGBA (Red Green Blue Alpha) channels.

Once turned on empty spaces in your scene will be transparent (that's the Alpha Channel) and then you can easily composite your images into other programs or (better yet!) reintroduce them in A:M as separate 2D elements of your scene.

While not technically correct... the Alpha Channel *is* your green screen.

If you have objects rendering that you don't want in that particular image you can turn it off or remove it fro the scene.

While there are many ways to approach this the two areas you should investigate are Alpha Channels and Layers. Once you understand those entire new worlds of art and animation open up to you.

There are tutorials and related information out there.

We'll try to get it front and center.

There is power in the Alpha Channel!

Rodney

There is power in the Alpha Channel!

Rodney

I have been able to get the result I was looking for by using an alpha channel...took a little experimenting :)

I still need to investigate the background issue to see if I can do all the work I am planning entirely in A:M or I may to use other programs as well to get it done.

I amk just trying to do a "proof of concept" right now to make sure I am going in the right direction. Obviously my biggest challenge is going to be learning A:M and creating the characters with the right movements and lip sync...think it will be a while yet!

Here is a quick example of exporting with the alpha channel and using it in another program.

EDIT: OK, for some reason my file won't upload...

Thanks for the help.

Dave

I still need to investigate the background issue to see if I can do all the work I am planning entirely in A:M or I may to use other programs as well to get it done.

Hello dave ,What is exactually the problem with your backround image?

If you can explain more we/someone may be able to help!

Cheers rodney

The composite side of A:M is a powerfull tool,which i haven't really explored yet(which i kow i will when it comes to the FW-190 exercise).The reason i told dave aka KurryKid about changing the backround colour in PWS is i thought he might be using a seperate compositing program to create an image/animation.

To Dave aka KurryKid,The composite side of A:M is a powerfull tool,look @ the compiste side of the forum

to find an incredidble wealth of information on the subject.

Jay :D

• Admin
The reason i told dave aka KurryKid about changing the backround colour in PWS is i thought he might be using a seperate compositing program to create an image/animation.

Jay,

I understand what you are saying. Isolating elements through color is always an option but it often means more work. If someone is used to working a particular way that way might work better than another.

If he plans to use other compositing programs that should be even more reason to use an alpha channel as compositing programs are almost always designed to use them.

As you demonstrate there is almost always more than one angle of approach to any particular problem!

A lot will just depend on what the artist has in mind.

Thanks for the input... its always appreciated.

Hello dave ,What is exactually the problem with your backround image?

If you can explain more we/someone may be able to help!

Jay :D

I would like to just be able to paste an image as a background, such as the stars, or a gallery or something. I am not sure where or how to do this (using an image that isn't in the library already).

Thanks.