Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Exercise 3: Move it

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice Space. Remember sometimes if you cant get it to work. You might have a better chance by switching the view. I think your well on your way to project #4.

Thanks, Logrus, that's terrific advice. I remember silmilar experiences with a CAD program we used for designing tools and dies where I worked several years ago. In that program you could have 3 or 4 orthographic views on screen at once, positioned appropriately, which makes it much easier to see which way something's going along the axis orthogonal to the view you're working in. Wasn't aware you could do that easily in A:M so after reading your post I experimented, and it's easy. In case anyone else hasn't discovered this yet, you just pick the window menu, pick new, then tile. Then go to each window and select a different view. Is that in the book somewhere? Hope this helps someone else:

ORTHO.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Name: Mike Lapointe

Exercise: 3 Move It

Date: June 20, 2007

Comments: Now that I'm about to post and I see everyone else's posts, I'm feeling I need some more practice and will have to work a little harder. There are some really amazing poses that everyone did for this exercise.

post-11025-1182619868_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Name: Jeff Bolle

Exercises Completed: 3

Date Completed: Saturday, August 4th, 2007

Instructor: Rodney

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: That's the third one now. Haha don't feel bad. Yours is better than mine, and I've been doing this for like 6 years.

rabbit.jpg

Name: F. David Puthuff

Exercises Completed: Three

Date Completed: Sunday August 5, 2007

Instructor: Rodney

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: Hope you are enjoying this as much as I am!

Here is a link to the third completed exercise:

Myspace - Click on 'View my Pics'

Thanks Rodney,

- Thumperness

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow Hash users! Well, I'm working my way through TaoA:M, and I'm up to exercise 3.

So here it goes with the formalities...

Name: Paulie G

Exercise Completed: Exercise 3

For this exercise, I followed the reference pics in the manual for the first pose. For the subsequent poses though, I really tried to inject some personality in them. Please let me know what you think. It would be really helpfull if you guessed what action, or emotion I was trying to go for with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pose. If you guess it right, it'll tell me I'm on the right track :)

First pose: using the reference pics from the manual

exercise31pn2.th.jpg

Second Pose:

exercise32zj9.th.jpg

Third Pose:

exercise33tg9.th.jpg

Fourth Pose:

exercise34kg8.th.jpg

Please let me know what you think...

- Paulie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Name: Kelly

Date Completed: 10 September 2007

Instructor: PF_Mark helps me when I screw up :)

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

You are doing well Kelly I like the 2nd pose very much I have a suggestion on the 3rd if you rotate the right elbow controler away from body or screen left you would get a better Silloette but don't look back keep gong once you are making TWO scene I will jump in and walk you through it.Just 3 more exe to go!

Name: Kelly

Date Completed: 10 September 2007

Instructor: PF_Mark helps me when I screw up :)

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

You are doing well Kelly I like the 2nd pose very much I have a suggestion on the 3rd if you rotate the right elbow controler away from body or screen left you would get a better Silloette but don't look back keep gong once you are making TWO scene I will jump in and walk you through it.Just 3 more exe to go!

Thanks, Mark! I see what you mean about the elbow... yeah, it seemed just a little bit off to me too. I also loved the second pose, I was very proud of that one :) I can't wait to get the other three done! It's getting closer! This exercise definitely taught me about zooming in for certain details... I think it might be starting to make more sense now :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that ComCast has decided to let me back into cyberspace I can continue studies of the Tao.

Name: Scott Bowers

Exercise Completed: Exercise#3

post-134-1191810824_thumb.jpg

Date Completed: 10-07-07

Instructor: The A:M Community

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: I Had fun w/ this one. (Shaggy= ME - Eddie=Comcast)

on to #4

~~Zzzippo~~

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Name: Petri Pirttinen

Exercise Completed: Exercise 3 - Move It

Date Completed: Dec 26 2007

Instructor: The manual, web tutorial

Remarks: Most fun exercise so far! Facial expressions are probably the hardest part. Otherwise this is being very educational for bone system and IK.

post-11490-1198665654_thumb.jpg

You two are just being too kind to me :P But Rodney, I'll get into it as soon as I get back to home again (being on mobile right now).

I have to admit that even though I just have started using the software I have already had so much fun with it!

• Admin
I'll get into it as soon as I get back to home again (being on mobile right now).

Take your time. If its okay with you I can just use what you have already in the short term.

I was thinking a render of the characters without the ground plane and with the Alpha Channel turned on would be ideal.

This would then allow the characters to be composited on different backgrounds.

You are right about. This is too much fun.

Remember that feeling as many animators lose that entirely too soon.

If you aren't having fun... why bother? :)

I want to be careful and not overcommit but I hope to spend a lot of 2008 working through TaoA:M.

Everyone is encouraged to join in.

I was thinking a render of the characters without the ground plane and with the Alpha Channel turned on would be ideal.

This would then allow the characters to be composited on different backgrounds.

Thought to make this a private message in case this interferes the flow of the original thread but suppose there's no support for attachments (I can however email it to you if it needs any adjustment, and why not, the whole scene as well if it's for any use).

This goes as a good exercise as well, you know? ;-) I suppose I need to save the render in Targa format to support Alpha Channel? Here's an attachment of such rendering plus the ground plane switched off. Had to zip it as the forum rejected the .TGA extension.

Execise3.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I've completed exercises 1-3 and here's the result of exercise three:

RabbitSmall.jpg

It's a basic pose, but I tried to avoid the direct "head-on" shot, since I remembered reading about "twinning" (symmetric poses) and to avoid it. It could stand a little work, but I like the results so far.

:)

That looks pretty good, Sean. It is good that you are aware of symetry in poses, there is still quite a bit of symetry (arms, ears, eyes) but it'll pass. You may also want to watch the camera angle or how the character is facing the camera. The line of action of your character is straight up & down, another thing to avoid. But, you'll learn all that as you advance. It took me a while to learn that.

Keep up the good work, and keep having fun :D

post-5367-1199984267_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Dhar! I'll keep that in mind. Posing is a blast. I'll try something more interesting and post the results here.

:lol:

That looks pretty good, Sean. It is good that you are aware of symetry in poses, there is still quite a bit of symetry (arms, ears, eyes) but it'll pass. You may also want to watch the camera angle or how the character is facing the camera. The line of action of your character is straight up & down, another thing to avoid. But, you'll learn all that as you advance. It took me a while to learn that.

Keep up the good work, and keep having fun :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

You are off to a great start already Brock. Nice work! :)

For what its worth you may want to consider weight and balance in these particular poses.

Page 33 of the manual discusses this a little. (see attached)

The Rabbit holding up the other is in a good basic pose but he would have to be mighty strong indeed to hold that pose for long.

It would work well perhaps as a frame from a shot where the rabbit is being lifted up or about to come down.

In my modification I've tried to force the bones to do a little of the work and take the pressure off of our performer at the bottom.

He'd still have to be strong to hold the pose I suggest but the bones from both characters would help distribute the majority of weight from the rabbit on top.

Again... very nice work. Now go and have some more fun! :)

Page33_Balance_and_Weight.jpg

Weight_and_Balance.jpg

Name: Matthew Gayton

Exercises completed: 3

Sorry this one took me a while. My computer went down and it resulted in my having to wipe the drives and start fresh. Thankfully I was able to burn a backup just before I lost everything.

I just had to do a 'Jack Bunny' pose - it was too irresistible.

post-11633-1202705421_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have completed Exercise 3, I'm very thankful for the video tutorials and the free models included with Hash! Other programs don't give you anything but a quick start guide. Part of the reason I got A:M was the community. You guys are awesome. Maybe by the time you start the next community film project I'll be ready.

post-11839-1206064429_thumb.png

post-11839-1206064461_thumb.png

• 3 months later...

Exercise 3: Move It

Completed By: Sean Wall

Completed on: 7/11/2008

Okay, I went back and redid the exercise and I thought it needed something, so Rabbit's buddy Shaggy couldn't help himself and had to get in on the act. ;)

GetMoving0.jpg

You know, working on the Scarecrow of Oz project has really "energized" me. If there are any fellow newbies out there who might have been thinking about getting involved, do it! It's great!

-Sean

• Admin
If there are any fellow newbies out there who might have been thinking about getting involved, do it! It's great!

Sean,

I completely agree with you there.

I've noticed the effort put forward in SO pays immediate dividends back on the participants personal work.

Translation: You have a great time and you learn a whole lot!

Great pose on Exercise 3.

As much fun as it is to see other characters posted throughout the forum I still get a major kick out of seeing the TaoA:M characters in new poses and in motion. If I didn't think someone would lock me up I'd say every time I see them its like seeing old friends. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Name: John W. Cote

Exercise: 2

Date Started: August 6, 2008

Date Completed: August 7, 2008

Instructors: the A:M Community at the moment, and Rodney

One thing I noticed posing the rabbit was when I was trying to pose the feet, the Big Black Bone (Model bone I think) always seem to be in the way. Is there a way to hide it?

John

post-12186-1218160966_thumb.jpg

post-12186-1218160975_thumb.jpg

• Hash Fellow

It looks like your poses turned out well.

One thing I noticed posing the rabbit was when I was trying to pose the feet, the Big Black Bone (Model bone I think) always seem to be in the way. Is there a way to hide it?

I dont' think you can hide that bone. You can adjust it's length property to be less.

If bones appear ot overlap in the chor or action window you can reliably select one by clicking on it's tip or base, whichever is clearer.

If that bone is appearing black that suggests you are not in skeletal or director mode. it would normally only appear black when you are in bones mode in the model window.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...