Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Exercise 3: Move it

Name: Jim Pappas

Exercise Completed: Exercise 3

Date Completed: Aug. 11

Instructor: AM forums, tutorials

Remarks: Haven't done many poses of actor models until now, so found this a good learning experience.

-Jim

move_it.jpg

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Beautifully rendered.

I love it when people put the Rabbit brothers together in shots like this.

It must trigger one of those 'Beagle Boys'* memories or something.

Always makes me smile. :)

*Those who don't know who the Beagle Boys are need to read more about Disney's Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck!

Name: Mike

Exercise Completed: Exercise 3

Date Completed: Aug. 13, 2006

Instructor: TAoAM Book and some goofing around

Remarks: Well, it's "blah" compared to what many others have done in this thread, but I at least had some fun with it :-). I'm not sure what that wierd artifact under the rabbit's left eye is from, but it's shown up in every render.

Exercise3-putemup0.jpg

• Admin

I like it... "Put up yer dukes!"

I'm not sure what that wierd artifact under the rabbit's left eye is from, but it's shown up in every render.

Must be what's got Rabbit all ready to fight. Maybe he got popped in the eye and its escalating from there?

Seriously though...

It looks a lot like a 5 point patch from here.

Then again it looks like some artifacts I seen on really old models too.

In other words... not sure.

• Admin

Glen,

That is really great.

I don't want to slow you down but you really should perfect that one.

If you could get all the characters on screen with smooth looping of the revolution. Hot dang! That'd be perty!

You might have to either extend the ground plane or remove it to really sell the loop though.

As it is it's meerly inspirational. ;)

Hey, Did you use anything for that speech balloon? Or is that in a future, undiscovered tutorial.

You know that really might make a pretty decent tutorial.

It's a carry over from an old idea I had to have animated characters talking with word balloons.

Been done before... by a rabbit even (Roger Rabbit in his original novel).

I'll see what I can put together.

Glen,

That is really great.

I don't want to slow you down but you really should perfect that one.

If you could get all the characters on screen with smooth looping of the revolution. Hot dang! That'd be perty!

You might have to either extend the ground plane or remove it to really sell the loop though.

As it is it's meerly inspirational. ;)

I learned something from perfecting -- it seemed like I picked the hard way to make a circle. I wound up using the grid for help. Is there an easier way to make a circle that I'm just missing?

I also had some trouble getting the camera angle right, until I learned that I could move the track in the Y axis... :rolleyes:

The SO also pointed out that if I was going to use "frightened", the pupils needed to be larger, not smaller. I also noticed that instead of giving the peace sign, Rabbit "North" was actually giving us the British Bird -- so I had to fix that.

Anyway, here it is.

Much better!

In retrospect, I think they rotate too fast. Maybe I should slow them down. Possibly 6 or even 8 seconds.

• Admin

Very nice improvement!

You've gotta tell me what 'SO' means though... my brain can't figure it out.

Disregard. Figured it out. Always have to listen to the SO.

Is there an easier way to make a circle that I'm just missing?

The easiest way to get a perfect circle?

- Draw a spline vertically in the modeling window.

- Click on that spline

* Hold Shift Key down and select the Lathe button (This will bring up the modeling tab where you can change your lathe cross sections. Change that to the desired number; 5 and 6 are my favorites for a reason.)

- Lathe

You sill have a cylinder or other pyramid looking cylinderical shape

- Delete either the top or the bottom spline

This will leave your circle.

Rotate and Scale as needed.

*Indicates optional step. If you already know what the setting is you can go with that.

Note: These are the first few steps in making a semi-perfect sphere too.

• Admin

Glen,

If you change the color of the shirts on each rabbit I think you've got it. :)

There is a specular glint in the eyes as the rotation hits its forward point.

That'd be nice to tone down or get rid of.

Concerning the SO and dilated pupils...

There's something of a battle raged behind the scenes on that one.

You see both methods and the large pupils upon being surprised appears to be the favorite to win.

This from reknown animator Tony White on the subject:

...if the pupil in the eye is very small it gives a dazed, weak, unconvincing look to the character's expression.

On the other hand, if the pupil is very large, it gives the impression of receptivity and interest.

Both methods can be used but it's always best to consider the character.

What is going on with him at the time?

The reason I champion the underdog (pin pointing the pupils upon surprise) is simple to follow.

If a character opens their eyes widely to look at something... (imagine rabbit staring in wide eyed amazement!)

- More light enters the eye...

- The pupil contracts.

On the other hand... if a character is interested in the details.

They may squint their eyes a bit. As the eye closes..

- Less light enters the eye...

- The pupil expands.

This may be the unpopular reading but there you have it.

Now where this all blends in and fits together is in animation.

You don't need to pick just one. You can animate both extremes into a scene.

With anticipation you might show the dilation of the pupil as it pinpoints in reaction to the light.

Then as the eye grows accustomed to this new environ the pupil widens to let more of that detail be seen.

A cold reading of the process won't help anyone get it right.

To create believable characters they must be bound to some point in reality.

So... your SO is right, but thats only half the story.

Exaggeration provides a key to the other half.

(My take)

Rodney

I like the idea of changing the shirt colors. I'll do that!

The only way I know of to get rid of the specular glint is to reduce the light? Or would that be a change on the model?

I believe the justification for large pupils was its a natural fear reaction, so we can gather more light for running and hiding.

But, art doesn't always imitate life! I want to play with that pose more, because while the eyes might indicate fright, I'm not sure the rest of the body does.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Okay, I got home and tried to change one sweater. Instead, all the rabbit's sweaters changed. How do I change just one sweater color? :blink:

• Admin
Okay, I got home and tried to change one sweater. Instead, all the rabbit's sweaters changed. How do I change just one sweater color?

Since the models are all instances of the same original model you must change the settings in the instance (shortcut).

Open the Model shortcut in the PWS

Make sure Show more than Drivers icon is toggled on (thats the red folder looking thing)

Locate the Groups

Find the Shirt

Select the Surface Color Attribute

Change the Color

Do this for all three of the other models (as you've already got red).

Trying to be precise... not talking down to you.

I have to assume someone will read this that is new.

Okay, I got home and tried to change one sweater. Instead, all the rabbit's sweaters changed. How do I change just one sweater color?

Since the models are all instances of the same original model you must change the settings in the instance (shortcut).

Open the Model shortcut in the PWS

Make sure Show more than Drivers icon is toggled on (thats the red folder looking thing)

Locate the Groups

Find the Shirt

Select the Surface Color Attribute

Change the Color

Do this for all three of the other models (as you've already got red).

Trying to be precise... not talking down to you.

I have to assume someone will read this that is new.

Not at all, thank you. I thought I'd have to copy the model 4 times! I had seen the Drivers Icon, but its nice to get verification, rather than having to ask where it is. Results will arrive soon!

• Admin

Oh yeah... now you're talking. :)

I love the play by play explanations.

I think almost all of the best animators are teachers too.

Looks like you've got that gene*.

I don't suppose I could convince you to have Green Rabbit's eyes animate from small to large?

I know its all about static poses... thats the key.

They eyes being already different though provides an opportunity.

The animation would add a complementing effect to the rotation of all the characters.

I promise I'll stop adding suggestions when I die! :P

*Note to others: Teaching isn't hereditary but it might as well be. But... You can do it too!

Just start documenting your work and studies to develop the habit.

I don't suppose I could convince you to have Green Rabbit's eyes animate from small to large?

I know its all about static poses... thats the key.

They eyes being already different though provides an opportunity.

The animation would add a complementing effect to the rotation of all the characters.

I promise I'll stop adding suggestions when I die! :P

*Note to others: Teaching isn't hereditary but it might as well be. But... You can do it too!

Just start documenting your work and studies to develop the habit.

Actually, I've been musing about that myself, that as each rabbit comes around, they kind of move or do something to get into their pose. And now, since I've upped it to like 12 seconds, each rabbit does get a moment to shine and do something neat.

Something that is disturbing me is that the background has become black. I have set the background on the camera model and the shortcut to different colors, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

• Admin

Most likely you have your Alpha Channel setting as [On].

Technically its not black... well... the Alpha Channel is black.

More accurately the background is Transparent.

You can test this by creating a few layers with your image on them and dropping them into the Choreography.

Trust me... Alpha Channels=Good!

Another way you can test this (Perhaps easier):

Create a rotoscope for your camera and assign your image to that.

Your background color should return.

Add another rotoscope with the same or similar image. Move it up and down or right to bottom (rotoscopes only travel in that plane).

You should see a hint at the power of the Alpha Channel.

Concerning Rotoscope versus Layers... Layers are infinitely more versatile.

Most likely you have your Alpha Channel setting as [On].

Technically its not black... well... the Alpha Channel is black.

More accurately the background is Transparent.

You can test this by creating a few layers with your image on them and dropping them into the Choreography.

Trust me... Alpha Channels=Good!

Another way you can test this (Perhaps easier):

Create a rotoscope for your camera and assign your image to that.

Your background color should return.

Add another rotoscope with the same or similar image. Move it up and down or right to bottom (rotoscopes only travel in that plane).

You should see a hint at the power of the Alpha Channel.

Concerning Rotoscope versus Layers... Layers are infinitely more versatile.

It took me a moment to find the Alpha Channel under the Buffer, but the online help didn't let me down and told me.

Yes, Alpha was on, so now the mystery of the black background is solved.

I tried both rotoscope and layers. I must say layers was a lot more interesting, because then I could make models do things between layers.

• Admin
I tried both rotoscope and layers. I must say layers was a lot more interesting, because then I could make models do things between layers.

Definitely focus on layers.

Both Rotoscopes and Layers have their purposes, pluses and minus, benefits and shortcomings.

You can place models between rotoscopes but its either top or bottom.

There is a setting that will allow you to place an image on top.

Look for or set (of all things) the setting 'on top=yes'

This can be especially useful if you are creating game interfaces and rotoscope layers that will stay in place on top or behind the main action. In another post I mentioned the importance of at least considering at a minimum a background, middle and foreground in every scene. Rotoscopes can be an effective way to achieve this.

Layers on the other hand can be placed anywhere you need them, on any angle, at any depth.

The Alpha Channel is key to all of these processes.

Definitely focus on layers.

Both Rotoscopes and Layers have their purposes, pluses and minus, benefits and shortcomings.

You can place models between rotoscopes but its either top or bottom.

There is a setting that will allow you to place an image on top.

Look for or set (of all things) the setting 'on top=yes'

This can be especially useful if you are creating game interfaces and rotoscope layers that will stay in place on top or behind the main action. In another post I mentioned the importance of at least considering at a minimum a background, middle and foreground in every scene. Rotoscopes can be an effective way to achieve this.

Layers on the other hand can be placed anywhere you need them, on any angle, at any depth.

The Alpha Channel is key to all of these processes.

Okay, I get how it can be put in foreground and background, but middle ground? How would you get a rotoscope in the middle ground?

• Admin
How would you get a rotoscope in the middle ground?

You don't. (with exceptions)

I was talking about using other objects (models and layers) in that middle ground.

Similar to how you use Layers.

Now the exception.

You can add as many Rotoscopes as you want to a camera.

The order they will appear in (closest to the viewer) will depend on what order they are in in the Project Workspace. Rotoscopes like almost all objects in the PWS are heirarchical.

As soon as you add a third rotoscope you've created your middle ground.

You tell A:M which level you want them to appear in by their order in the PWS.

To move a little deeper into the subject you could name all your rotoscopes thusly:

Level01_Overlay_SpecialFX (set to always on top)

Level02_Interface

Level03_Screen_Animation

and just swap out the images sequential images assigned to them.

More info than you asked for but hopefully some will be useful.

Best,

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Ooo, thats good. Nice refinement. :)

I was going to post a Gif version of it but the file size might be too big at a good enough quality.

That is such a great way to present that character though.

The color change in shirts was effective as I immediately (subconsiously?) assumed they were different characters. It was only after the fact (and with a little effort) that I thought of them as the same model.

You've definitely got something good going on there.

• Admin

I couldn't resist playin'.

Here is a very very tiny version (avatar size even) of your 'Calvacade of Rabbits'.

I think it might be good to place a plane/several planes behind the main Rabbit consisting of entirely black surface. Then crank the transparency up until the Rabbit in the fron is still the only one clearly in view.

I imagine fog might work with this too but you'd get some strange effects on the side Rabbits.

I was going to fade the rabbits in the avatar as an example... but too many frames to do even at that small size. ;)

LurkAvatar.gif

I couldn't resist playin'.

Here is a very very tiny version (avatar size even) of your 'Calvacade of Rabbits'.

I think it might be good to place a plane/several planes behind the main Rabbit consisting of entirely black surface. Then crank the transparency up until the Rabbit in the fron is still the only one clearly in view.

I imagine fog might work with this too but you'd get some strange effects on the side Rabbits.

I was going to fade the rabbits in the avatar as an example... but too many frames to do even at that small size. ;)

Wow, that sounds cool, but when you say crank up the transparency, do you mean on the layers? I'm not sure I followed entirely.

• Admin
when you say crank up the transparency, do you mean on the layers? I'm not sure I followed entirely.

Any patch (or spline object) object in A:M can have its surface transparency altered.

Taking a black (or other colored patch for that matter) and allowing things behind it to be seen through that transparency will tint what is behind it. Using a black patch with transparency will darken the objects behind that screen while leaving those in front with their full vibrancy of color. A good starting point for testing might be 50% transparency.

You could test this on a simple object.

Bring the object into A:M

Create a 4 CP patch

Group the patch and change the surface color (Try Green)

Place the patch in front of the object

Copy (Control C) and paste (Control V) that patch a few times and change the color on each patch

Adjust the Transparency of the patches

Render and view the results.

Add other objects and patches at different locations or with different settings to test other combinations.

To fade the other Rabbits you could use either a White or Black patch (or series of patches) to separate the front Rabbit from the back ones. Adjusting the transparency of those patches would then place more emphasis on the one in front.

(Something like that)

Rodney

when you say crank up the transparency, do you mean on the layers? I'm not sure I followed entirely.

Any patch (or spline object) object in A:M can have its surface transparency altered.

Taking a black (or other colored patch for that matter) and allowing things behind it to be seen through that transparency will tint what is behind it. Using a black patch with transparency will darken the objects behind that screen while leaving those in front with their full vibrancy of color. A good starting point for testing might be 50% transparency.

You could test this on a simple object.

Bring the object into A:M

Create a 4 CP patch

Group the patch and change the surface color (Try Green)

Place the patch in front of the object

Copy (Control C) and paste (Control V) that patch a few times and change the color on each patch

Adjust the Transparency of the patches

Render and view the results.

Add other objects and patches at different locations or with different settings to test other combinations.

To fade the other Rabbits you could use either a White or Black patch (or series of patches) to separate the front Rabbit from the back ones. Adjusting the transparency of those patches would then place more emphasis on the one in front.

(Something like that)

Rodney

Got it! That's a great idea. Of course, because its the camera rotating and not the rabbits, it makes it more interesting, since I already have a bunch of lighting rotating around as the camera follows the track. Constratints are definitely my friend on this one. I think a 40% transparency worked, though I had to adjust my lighting to make the highlighted rabbit more vibrant. He might be a little overexposed, but I'll see how the render turns out anyway, since I like how each rabbit downline 'emerges' from the background.

I'll put this one up tomorrow morning when the render is done.

• Admin

Finally home and able to get a look at your latest update.

The verdict: Travisimo! :)

I admit to being concerned when you said that it was the camera moving.

I had thought it was the rabbits you had revolving round and 'round.

As it is you've managed to fake some lighting that looks quite impressive to me. :)

One of those 'happy mistakes' if I ever saw one.

Far better effect than I had imagined.

Bravo! :)

Danke.

The revolving rabbits kind of came from the fact that I initially saw them as statues and then I was also interested in the 'bullet time' effect that's done in movies like the Matrix. So it was fun to play with. Constraints made the lighting a snap.

It certainly was educational! Thanks for the pointers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Name: George Dugas

Exercise: 3

Day Completed: October 23rd 2006

Rabbit's been working out!!! I don't think his buddy likes it though.

I had a chance to place some models I did when I first got A:M. It was cool that I could actually finally use them for something :lol: .

[attachmentid=21654]

Here's one of my first animations I made. I thought it would go nicely here. Be sure to have loop on when you watch it.

[attachmentid=21655]

exercise_3.jpg

weightlifting.mov

• 2 weeks later...

[attachmentid=21897]

My Exercise3. I just updated to Version 13m and I couldn't save Rabbit with the project.loading the project doesnt show rabbit. I'll have to see if it happens again?

Rabbit is supposed to be pondering whilst a sudden bodily function escapes his body! :o

post-7930-1162400901_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Art of Animation Master Part I: Animation

ANYONE CAN ANIMATE

1 - You're the Director

2 - A Chorus Line

3 - Move It

4 - It's a Pitch

5 - Take a Walk

6 - The Door's Stuck

7 - Can You Say That?

-------------------------------------

The Art of Animation:Master

Exercise 3: Move It

-------------------------------------

Approx. time to complete: 20 Minutes

Web/Online ( 7.55MB )

or

Download Zip ( 7.3MB )

Everytime I have tried to download one of the videos for the exersizes there is an error "someone else is using the file unable to use"

Name: Jeffrey Johnson

Exercise: Exercise 3: Move It

Date Completed: December 2, 2006

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/Ama...nMaster/Ex3.jpg

Ex3.jpg

I wanted to make his face more comic, but it was difficult. I couldn't figure out how to change where his pupils were located on his eyes and his large teeth cover up pretty much the rest of his face. <_<

• Admin
Everytime I have tried to download one of the videos for the exersizes there is an error "someone else is using the file unable to use"

Not sure what to tell you. The download is working fine here.

Is there any way that the someone else is you?

Jeffrey,

That looks like its gonna hurt when he hits the ground!

Its possible that the problem with that particular setup can be overcome by adjusting the angle a bit.

If for instance, you were to color Rabbit entirely black, would you still be able to read the image and tell what is going on?

• 4 weeks later...