Hash, Inc. Forums

Exercise 3: Move it

Name: Jody Krivohlavek

Exercise Completed: Exercise 3

Date Completed: December 22, 2005

Instructor: AM Handbook, Video Tutorial and everyone that's ever posted to these forums.

(Been around since the Playmation days :D )

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

This posing reminded me of my first pose and animation with "Playmation" (Before it became Hash Animation Master).

So, I did the same main action that I did for that.

(Boy I wish I still had the original project and animation. ) :(

Rodney, Here's a still from the animation for the exercise qualification.

[attachmentid=12525]

MoveIt.mov

MoveIt.jpg

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name: Andy Stewart

Exercise Completed: Exercise 3: Move It

Date Completed: Jan 25, 2006

Instructor: Manual and Tut

Normal and Toon render. 'Ghost ducks' were made by rendering with Depth of Field ON. The lack of shadows for the ducks is a nice effect, but I have to admit it was accidental.

[attachmentid=13707] [attachmentid=13709]

Regarding Rodney's question about the spotlight in my Exercise One - Toon (and this Toon), the settings I used were:

[attachmentid=13710] [attachmentid=13711]

post-8674-1138245730_thumb.jpg

post-8674-1138245755_thumb.jpg

post-8674-1138246302_thumb.jpg

post-8674-1138246318_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the follow up Andy.

It appears there are a lot of aspects of toon lighting I have yet to investigate.

Using shawdow to control lines is definitely worth investigating.

Thanks!

Rodney

I tend to mess around with settings quite a bit (in pretty much anything I touch)... I like to see what kind of accidents I can have... well... interesting accidents anyway.

• Admin
I tend to mess around with settings quite a bit (in pretty much anything I touch)... I like to see what kind of accidents I can have... well... interesting accidents anyway.

Me too! My problem however is that I don't document and rarely remember the specific settings used to create a really cool accident. By the time I get around to actually wanting/needing to use that specific style in a project I'm usually at a loss in how to get the look again. Then its back to more experimention and rediscovery.

That would probably be a pretty good methodology but each time I experiment I find even more cool things to play with... and the cycle begins anew...

I'm gonna have to start documenting this year. ;)

Me too! My problem however is that I don't document and rarely remember the specific settings used to create a really cool accident. By the time I get around to actually wanting/needing to use that specific style in a project I'm usually at a loss in how to get the look again. Then its back to more experimention and rediscovery.

That would probably be a pretty good methodology but each time I experiment I find even more cool things to play with... and the cycle begins anew...

I'm gonna have to start documenting this year. ;)

I've been telling myself that for years... I've yet to find where I put all the documenting that I've not done.

And you'd think, since most of my stuff is computer related (I'm a Network Engineer), it would be a no-brainer to, if nothing else, open Notepad and type out what I did... or do screenshots and plop them into a document. Same with A:M... it's on the stinking computer! But nooooo.....

Same in my personal life too.. I'm working on a submission package for a comic strip to send to the syndicates. I'll think of an idea while I'm out somewhere and tell myself "I have to remember to write that down when I get home.". Do I write it down? Nope, I usually totally forget about it, 'til a few days later when I'm beating my head on the proverbial brick wall trying to remember the great idea I had a couple days earlier.

Anyway... I'm rambling now. :blink:

Name: Clarence Emerson

Exercise Completed: Lesson 3 Move It

Date Completed: Jan.29,2006

Front And Side View

I wanted to show the shoulders back, the neck forward,head tilt up,ears floppedand put a disgusted look in his eyes.Also I used the F lip sink to give him a possible frown.

[attachmentid=13854]

post-6547-1138583085_thumb.jpg

Name: Claudio Ravenstein (fybs)

Exercise completed: Exercise 3: Move it

Date completed: 10. January 2006

Instructor: The manual

How original you might think! I know but I couldn’t help it and anyhow, work has to be fun! No?

Name: Claudio Ravenstein (fybs)

Exercise completed: Exercise 3: Move it

Date completed: 10. January 2006

Instructor: The manual

How original you might think! I know but I couldn’t help it and anyhow, work has to be fun! No? :P

post-8441-1140031960_thumb.jpg

I agree Claudio, work should be fun, but educational as well in this case.

Just remember this tip: if Rabbit was in silhouette, would we know what he's doing?

Move the camera to a 3/4 view & see how much more impact you get :)

Name: Chris Waters

Exercise Completed: #3

Date Completed: 02/19/2006

I was inspired by Hutch's pose - it struck me as very 'Kung Fu/get your whup a$$ on'. So of course my first thought was "Wax on...Wax off, Danielsan!" I'm not sure that this angle completely conveys my Ralph Macchio inspiration but I had fun!

Take it easy. I'll post more as I complete them.

Having a blast,

C.

post-3425-1140375965_thumb.jpg

Liquid,

I really like how you composed the image. Framing it and all gives it a nice touch. The only thing that I can see (IMO) is on the left side. The placement of the light with the two rabbits on the barrels give that section sort of a cluttered feel. I think if you were to move the light to the left more than it would open up some nice negative space between the two on the barrels. Just my opinions though.

Liquid,

...The only thing that I can see (IMO) is on the left side. The placement of the light with the two rabbits on the barrels give that section sort of a cluttered feel. I think if you were to move the light to the left more than it would open up some nice negative space between the two on the barrels. Just my opinions though.

Yea, you're right. If I get any free time, I might clean up the left side.

As for Rodney, Leo73 was able to see the picture and I saw it on another computer, so I assume it is working correctly. Let me know if you can't see it. Since we are on the subject of postings, I know I saw where and how I can post images for these exercises. Please, someone direct me to the treasue trove of knowledge. :(

One other thing, The boards seemed to be down Sunday, did anyone else notice this?

...Liquidspaceman, over and out

Liquid,

Click on the The Art of Animation Master link under New Users. Scroll down the first post where Rodney talks about the instructions and such. The section on attachments is right after the languages section.

Hope that helps,

Leo

Liquid,

Click on the The Art of Animation Master link under New Users. Scroll down the first post where Rodney talks about the instructions and such. The section on attachments is right after the languages section.

Hope that helps,

Leo

Thank you for the quick answer Mr. Leo! I knew it was there somewhere close to home. (I didn't venture out very far on the forum).

• 2 weeks later...

Here's exercise 3

[attachmentid=14875] [attachmentid=14876]

Name: Bob Koonce

Exercise Completed: Exercise 3

Date Completed: 3-3-06

Instructor: None at this time

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: None at this time

Any comments will be appreciated

Thankx,

Bob Koonce

post-2243-1141496050_thumb.jpg

post-2243-1141496084_thumb.jpg

Hello Again!

I have been able to fly through the first three exercises. I hope to have more time soon to actually try my hand at animation! Woo Hoo exercise 4 coming up soon! But for now, here's exercise 3, MOVE IT!

Name: Michael Fortunato

Exercise Completed - 3, Move It

Date: 03-13-06

Remarks: I'm really digging how easy it is to move the bones around. I can't wait to figure out how to rig 'em myself!

I decided to go pretty much with the standard by the book rabbit and then I threw in my own variation for kicks :D .

Thanks again!

- Michael

[attachmentid=15195]

post-8824-1142320136_thumb.jpg

Good job with exercise 3. Keep it up, your really moving through these. Exercise 13 deals with rigging. There is also a program out there called The Setup Machine. I think alot of people here might use it, but I haven't got it yet. Here's a link just in case you want to check it out. http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/setupmachine10.html

Once again keep up the good work,

Leo B)

Good job with exercise 3. Keep it up, your really moving through these. Exercise 13 deals with rigging. There is also a program out there called The Setup Machine. I think alot of people here might use it, but I haven't got it yet. Here's a link just in case you want to check it out. http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/setupmachine10.html

Once again keep up the good work,

Leo B)

Thank you again for the quick feedback, Leo. I checked out the Setup Machine. Looks really cool. I'll hold off on it, though, until I've learned how to rig a model myself. I'm the type that likes to learn everything. Actually, I'm the lead texture artist for an upcoming King's Quest fan game called "The Silver Lining" (http://www.silverliningthegame.com) and want to get my hands dirty in modeling and animation as well. Texturing and lighting I'm pretty good at...the rest...not so much :P.

Tonight - it's back to exercise 4! ("DUNH, DUNH, DDDDUUUUNNNNHHHH!!!!!")

- Michael