-------------------------------------

The Art of Animation:Master

Exercise 3: Move It

-------------------------------------

Approx. time to complete: 20 Minutes

Web/Online ( 7.55MB )

or

Download Zip ( 7.3MB )

Update: in post #391 of this thread is a video with notes on alternate ways to pose Rabbit's arms, which you may find useful if you have difficulty with the method demonstrated in the TAoA:M book/video.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I've done exercoses 1, 2 and 3. Are we supposed to post a picture of everything?

I can't seem to let go of ex 3 lol. It finally dawned on me that I could click a bone, hit the R key and rotate that thing with sooo much less effort LOL. I forget that A:M is one of those KISS things. I keep trying to make it harder than what it really is, DUUUUUHHHHHHH ;)

• 3 months later...
  • Admin

Nice pose. He's got a look like he has something on his mind.

I'm a big fan of grayscale images and it looks good on him. Almost looks like you added film grain too.

Good job!

-Rodney

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow D's example... Try out Exercise 3: Move it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I finally finished my version of exercise 3. This is taking a while, but I'm having fun going way too far. I have real good ideas for the next two, and then the flower one, but other than that, I may have to settle with just doing it by the book.

I've got a summary here too, listing all the ones I've completed. I did fix Ex. 2's texture problem BTW if you wanna look at it again.

please comment away!

Ex 1 KeeKat

Ex 2 "I am the Director"

Ex 3 MoveIt

eric

Thanks for the kind words, guys :)

I definitely could improve Ex3 with some timing fixes. I had a non-animating friend say that as well, "too fast".

I couldn't figure out how to get a more pensive introspective look when he's leaning up against the barrel, he looks stiff and emotionless and the rabbit doesn't do too good at conveying action in the jumpshot, but I tell you when I was going back and rendering it, the singing into the coat rack picture was cracking me up. :)

I also realized in the course of making some of those poses that the rabbit model leaves a bit to be desired. I don't want to sound all complainy, but maybe I'll grumble about them later for Rodney for new user feedback ;)

Ex 4 is gonna be fun, but I wish I had more voice talent besides me......

eric

Hey Eric, great exercises! :D

Ex 3 is brilliant!! :o A great idea to carry a simple exercise to an ultimate conclusion. :lol:

BTW How did you sort out the texture problem in the end?

Mark, nice work on the FW it's the cat's whiskers......groan. :rolleyes:

The info you gave me in your previous posts has really helped..Thanks. :D

Are you going to animate it before the next ex???

Look forward to more postings from both of you.

BTW check ot the Anzovin site at http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/ they're having a sale I've ordered a newbie package for $60 (Down from $110)

See you later! :lol:

• 4 months later...

Name:  Den Dotson

Exercises Completed:  Three "I think I can, I think I can...

Date Completed:  Saturday March 12, 2005

Instructor:  Rodney (Certificate Master) and that guy on the web tutorials

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: Hope you are enjoying this as much as I am!

Here is a link to the third completed exercise:

http://homepage.mac.com/animateden/hash/move_it0.jpg

Thanks Rodney,

-Den

post-22-1110722863.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin
I took a little liberty and gave him some more attitude.

You get extra points for ingenuity and artistry. ;)

Just take a look at the examples above from others... (Hi Den and all!)

When everyone adds their own personal flare that makes the journey all the better.

Name: Tom Jansen

Exercise: Here's my #3.

Comments: I was imagining the second rabbit saying "You are one good looking rabbit" to the first :-)

Date Completed: April 16, 2005

Thanks for offering this chance for us to learn together!

-Tom

post-22-1113681156.jpg

• Admin

Tom,

Apologies for answering your exercises out of order... trying to catch up!

I was imagining the second rabbit saying "You are one good looking rabbit" to the first

Hehe... and you captured that quite well. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Tenez Waggoner

Exercises Completed: 3 Move it

Date Completed: May 12, 2005

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: I decided to do all of them. The sitting down one is probably the hardest to pull off. For me anyways. It's still not exact but I think it looks good.

post-22-1115964958.jpg

• Admin

Tenez,

This exercise is rapidly becoming one of my favorites.

Effort put into this exericse really shows what a little (or in this case a lot) of attention to detail can do in character animation.

It gives everyone a chance to really get characters expressing emotion, balance and weight.

The still images of these poses really lets us know if we are getting it right and helps prepare us for some serious character animation down the road. It teaches us to find the best shot in each shot of an animation.

Well done!

• Admin

Ulrika,

I echo Tenez's praise for a job well done.

The change in shirt color is such a simple addition but highly effective.

One of those 'now why didn't I think of that' moments.

Bravo!

Three down several to go. I plan on going back and doing the other poses, but for right now I want to keep moving forward

Name: Leo Mitchell

Exercise 03

Completed: 25 May 2005

Instructor: Web tuts and manual.

[attachmentid=14586]

post-2835-1140527204_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Yup... this has definitely become my favorite exercise.

I never tire of seeing these characters showing their attitudes via changes to their basic poses. Kudos to the creators of the characters for making it such a joy for people to experiment and animate with them. :)

Concerning the fourth pose... I'll have to investigate that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Zev Eisenberg

Exercise Completed: Exercise 3 "Move it"

Date Competed: 21 June 2005

Remarks/Suggestions: This one was weird. I made the pose from the book fine. then I tried the ones on page.. 43 was it? There are some sketches of Rabbit in other poses. I did the first two fine. Then, when I got to the third one, the pose went all weird. One of the bones in his leg got squashed and turned around. I deleted the relationship but couldn't delete the pose. I created a new one, but now his eyes are sunken into his skull, on the original model too! Not quite sure what happened. I'll post the prj so you can look at it. Still, this is fun!

-Zev

Move_it.mov

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Good job Linda.

I'm a bit confused now though...

Has Den Dotson secretly taken on teaching all you guys?

I can only hope as the assistance would be appreciated. :)

I'd like to eventually find someone to champion each of the exercises so everyone has someone that is well versed in every aspect of the exericise.

Any takers?

Hey Rodney,

Yes, it's Den the teacher. The student has become the master. My "real" job is as a software instructor for CompUSA. In that capacity I am teaching Animation Master at the Granite City Steel Learning Center.

As I teach through the exercises in The Art of Animation Master I am having my students post their work here for all to see and to eventually get them all certified.

Rodney, I couldn't do it without you. I am passing on the great things I learned here. Thanks to you!

-Den

• Admin

Congratulations Den!

One can hope that word of your efforts will spread like wildfire and CompUSA's across America will all have such a course.

...and in Granite City too! Woo Hoo! I've been through Granite city so much its almost home for little ole me.

To Linda and John I want to express my admiration and say you've found a great instructor in Den Dotson. Inside or outside of 3D Animation he is a talent. I wish I could be with you in Granite City to take his course too.

I've heard from a few other instructors that plan to send their students into the New Users Forum. Some have already recieved their certificates for efforts not seen by the public. I applaud you Den as the first instructor to have them post 'live'. I hope this becomes a more popular way of having students experience 3D as it helps them experience the distribution of digital art in ways they otherwise could not. :)

I always yield to the instructor when it comes to the learning experience as communicating directly with a teacher always provides the absolute best learning experience possible. If either you or your students need anything just say the word. While I have no official capacity from which to say it, I'm confident that Hash Inc is fully committed to supporting your efforts as well.

To John and Linda I say, "Animate On!" :)